5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic followup to 'Orcs'.
I had to have this after reading 'Orcs' on holiday. Brilliant! I think in a past life I was probably an orc myself. My husband thinks I probably still am.
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by C. Ashton

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing return to Orcland
Published on 27 Jan 2010 by The Electric Ghost

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing return to Orcland, 27 Jan 2010
This review is from: Orcs Bad Blood I: Weapons of Magical Destruction (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
I loved the first Orc trilogy. It took an unusual twist on the fantasy genre - orcs as good guys and humans as fanatic invaders - but this first book in a new trilogy, after the events of the first one, is hugely disappointing. As another reviewer has pointed out, there is little plot and little characterisation, the latter a fault I also found with James Barclay's second Raven series. A shame, as Nicholl's "Quicksilver" trilogy was a mature and complex development after Orcs. With Joe Abercrombie and the like rapidly regenerating the tiring sword and sorcery genre, Orcs II needs a rethink. Repetition is not reinvention and this book feels like wheel spinning.

2.0 out of 5 stars Orcward start to second trilogy, 28 Aug 2009
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I enjoyed the author's first Orc trilogy, quite fun to have the aggressive Orc perspective! So picked this up knowing it would be more of the same, light easy reading that would be enjoyable but not set the world alight!

And I was disappointed. There is a re-cap at the start for new readers to the saga and then our little Orc chums are off through a magical portal and almost straight into combat against a bunch of re-animated corpses. Quite why these corpses re-animate is never quite explained. Then a brief respite and...another battle. And the whole book is like that, a vague plot linked by a number of scenes where the Orcs mix it big time. It got a little repetitive and, dare I say it, a little boring. Insufficient plot and character development and while the humour is still there, we have seen it before and it felt a little forced and tired. I 'might' have pushed this to an average three stars on the basis that it does not pretend to be anything else but a fun Orc romp, but this book came to a very abrupt end, obviously leading towards the next book. So if you buy this, you will be left somewhat wanting or having to buy the next one. If you are really keen on this, wait a year until this trilogy gets sold in one volume, at least then you can get the whole story in one hit.

But this left me with insufficient reward for the reading time invested and I probably not bother with any more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Orc bad blood, 11 July 2013
I am still trying to read this, But other books seem to interest me more maybe is is a little to different for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic followup to 'Orcs'., 13 Sep 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Pulp Fiction, 27 May 2009
This is the second book in a series, but the fact that I hadn't read the first didn't really matter. It's all explained in a brief info dump at the start.
It involves the ubiquitous 'orcs', it has a MacGuffin which various sides are after, and as a whole seems to reference a variety of writing styles, from Philip Pulman, (alternate worlds anyone?), to most predominately that of James Barclay; if you don't know what 'eviscerate' means by the end of this novel, you've missed pages somewhare along the line.
It moves at a rapid pace, has some deft touches of humour, and makes for an undemanding read.
Recommended if you want a fantasy novel that you can read with your brain firmy in neutral.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it better than other reviewers but . . ., 28 May 2010
. . . I haven't read the first trilogy so I found the inversion of roles (Orcs as hero and humans as corrupt oppressors) refreshing. Admittedly, it kept an otherwise straightforward plot entertaining.

I might get the second in the series to see what happens.

Nicholls feels like he wants to make some more philosophical points about society: Are the Orcs more shaped by their genes or their environment? I am curious to see if he can deliver on this broader theme while maintaining the readability of a fantasy novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Orcs, 4 May 2009
Orcs Bad Blood 1: Weapons of Magical Destruction (Gollancz S.F.)

Great read, fast and furious, could not put it down. Look forward to the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Other Half Loves It!, 3 Aug 2010
C. Deavall - See all my reviews
Although this product was a gift for my other half so I can't comment on the book itself, I can honestly say that delivery wise, it arrvied in good condtion with a speedy delivery.

ARRAY(0xa3440930)

Orcs Bad Blood I: Weapons of Magical Destruction (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
5.99