5.0 out of 5 stars A classic in the making
I first read DawnThief and the first thing that struck me was the ammount of tradgedy wrapped up with the heroism, James Barclay writes disaster beutifully using individual charecters unrelated from the central plott to illustrate suffering.
Published on 20 Feb 2003 by C. Woodhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Elfsorrow
Published on 24 Sep 2011 by Icarus

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic in the making, 20 Feb 2003
C. Woodhead "cwoodhead" (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
This book is everything the presedecessors were and I have a massive ammount of respect for James Barclay for not taking the easy way out. It would be very easy to have everything go right for his charecters but in real life everything doesn't go right. Happy co-incidences abound and in one piece of the excellent dialogue exhibited through this book one of the charecters comments on this.
NightChild was traumatic and Elf Sorrow is no exception, expect death and pain for the people of this world though through it all one force keeps fighting The Raven so much more than a mercenary band contains a group of diverse individuals the barbarian Hirad, The Unknown Warrior, Denser, the shape changer Thraun and others from completly different backgrounds but all of one mind, all Raven.
This book is a classic and as I say the dialogue is excellent, when Hirad talks of his belief in the Raven its like he is addressing the reader directly, hats off to James Barclay and looking forward to the next one, though please don't take the easy way out!

5.0 out of 5 stars New series, same heroes, more quality, 9 Sep 2002
By A Customer
Barclay starts a new series and the Raven meet their biggest threat yet in Barclay's best book yet. And we get to find out more about the elves - a whole continent of them. And boy are they mean; some of the best described, most purely lethal fighters I've come across in any fantasy. As always Barclay describes the action brilliantly and with the elves introduces some brilliant new characters and concepts. The Clawbound and the Tai Gethan are so cool! You'll know what I mean when you get to them. The book ends on a bit of a shock but I'll be back for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Action fantasy at its best., 5 Sep 2002
Lets get one thing straight, the only reason this didn't get a five star rating from me is because it isn't quite as good as it's predesessor "Nightchild". This is an excellent book and I read it almost non-stop until I finished it. James Barclay's first two books in the series were good but not excellent, however with his last two books his style has improved and the weaknesses have all but gone. I cannot recommend the chronicles of the Raven enough, they are excellent and seem to go from strength to strength. Set about six months after Nightchild the characters are still dealing with the events of that book; however things move swiftly on and things become more and more confused. You know full well who the heroes are, but are the villains really that bad? are they evil at all? This isn't straight foward good vs evil. Also the elves are fleshed out here, in previous stories they seemed just like humans with pointy ears. I have to say the elves are the best I have read in any fantasy series, James Barclay avoids alot of the usual elven cliches. These are hardcore elves with axes to grind. As usual the heroes are as mortal as you and I, another of Barclays strengths. If you have read the others you won't be disappointed, if you haven't try them, and persevere with the first one, you will be rewarded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Have enjoyed this series up to now but think it's getting ..., 26 Nov 2013
Have enjoyed this series up to now but think it's getting samey. I will read to the end anyway. Bye.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elfsorrow, 13 April 2013
Fast paced and action packed, the Raven just keep on coming.
Thoroughly good yarn with a surprise twist at the end, well, surprised me anyhow!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 28 Feb 2013
Can highly recommend this for an excellent read at bedtime or otherwise. Found it hard to put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy at it's best, 31 Dec 2011
I was looking forward to finding out what happened after Nightchild and I wasn't disappointed. I love the fact that James Barclay isn't afraid to take a few chances and everything isn't always alright at the end. I loved the Chronicles of the Raven (although I found Dawnthief hard to get into once it got going I couldn't stop reading) and I'm looking forward to Legends of the Raven

3.0 out of 5 stars Elfsorrow, 24 Sep 2011
Icarus (Lindford, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed the stories of the Raven. This one was really sad as the Elves were subject of the ambitions of the Mages. Have we seen somewhere else the world's giants running rough shod through rainforest for their own ends? The Raven overcome the odds to save the Elven race from final annihilation. A fault, if there is one, is the over described sword fighting. What will the outcome of the One transfer be? I shall have to move on to Shadowheart. Icarus

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really a fan, 23 July 2010
Kristin Roper "Fantasy Crazy" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elfsorrow: Legends of the Raven (Legends of the Raven 1) (Paperback)
I am not really a fan of Barclay's writing style, but managed to slog my way through his books. To be honest I do not feel anything either way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start but a thrilling finish, 23 Mar 2008
I have read the a few times now and I find the first half hard going but interesting. The main characters do little for the first half of the book and it isn't until they get into action the book picks up speed.

ARRAY(0xaaff9d5c)

Elfsorrow: Legends of the Raven (Legends of the Raven 1)
Elfsorrow: Legends of the Raven (Legends of the Raven 1) by James Barclay (Paperback - 13 Nov 2008)
7.99