5.0 out of 5 stars Blueprint for Revolution
Published on 16 Nov 2003 by Patrick Shepherd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, not Mr. Heinlein's best though...
The Moon is indeed a Harsh Mistress ! I realize that now, after having finished this book. I'm sorry to say it was a little too predictable. Hopefully without spoiling the fun for future readers - everything went so easily - this future "American Revolution" as it actually was - like changing channels on the TV. However, I've got to hand it to Mr. Heinlein,...
Published on 16 July 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Blueprint for Revolution, 16 Nov 2003
Patrick Shepherd "hyperpat" (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is my favorite Heinlein novel, and I've read all of Heinlein's works. It is a great mixture of adventure, humor, politics, technology, some thought provoking looks at alternate types of marriages, and the most lovable sentient computer ever to grace the pages of a novel. Mike (the computer) is really the star of this book, from loving to tell jokes, to deciding to help a group of revolutionary-minded Luna 'citizens' actually accomplish their dreams of freedom because the human interaction would keep him from being lonely.
Along the path to revolution, Heinlein, (as usual), inserts thoughts and ideas that challenge your basic assumptions about what is right, normal, necessary, or appropriate. Is a representative democracy the only 'good' form of government? What's so sacred about a 'majority'? How should a government finance itself? (Maybe make the representatives pay for their pet projects out of their own pocket - taxes not allowed!). Are polygamy, polyandry, or other forms of multiple marriage wrong or can they be used to help preserve the stability of a child-rearing environment? How do you most efficiently organize a revolutionary group that must be kept secret from the authorities (given the assumption that there will always be 'stool pigeons')?
Heinlein creates some great characters to go along with his re-worked story of the American Revolutionary war. Mannie Garcia, a computer maintenance man - the only 'real' one on Luna, is the focal character, an average, everyday person (for a Loonie) who gets caught up in the events almost in spite of himself. Professor Bernardo de la Paz is an intelligent, dry man, quiet but stubborn and with some radical ideas about government and individual responsibility, who becomes the intellectual heart of the revolution. But Mike steals the show, running all the myriad details of coordination, propaganda, logistics, and banking for the revolution, but painfully wanting contact with 'not-stupid' humans, trying desperately to understand just what it is to be human. It's these characters that make you want to root for the revolution to succeed, as they embody something deep within everyone, the feeling of hope in the face of impossible odds, the will to fight for what is perceived as right and correct.
Some have quite correctly noted that this book should not be read by ultra-grammarians, as it is told in first person Luna-speak, an odd pidgin mixture of English and Russian, with occasional items thrown in from Chinese, Finnish, and several other languages. Far from being a detriment, I consider this to be a great accomplishment. Most writers have trouble accurately portraying the dialect, say, of the Deep South in a convincing manner. Here, Heinlein has created his own dialect of the future - and makes you believe it.
This book is not quite as deep as Stranger in a Strange Land, one of Heinlein's other great books, but it has a faster, more action oriented pace, and characters that you will get emotionally involved with. I cried at the end of this book the first time I read it (and the second, and the third...) and I think you will too. TANSTAAFL indeed - but in this case, you will get more than you paid for, one of Heinlein's great gifts to the world.
--- Reviewed by Patrick Shepherd

5.0 out of 5 stars A libertarian handbook, 10 July 2002
This is perhaps my favourite SF book, even though I'm more a PKD fan. I agree that it is not his most sophisticated work - see Time Enough for Love or Stranger In a Strange Land - but it is in my opinion his most atmospheric and evocative - and gripping. It is a self-conscious parody of the American Revolution with a good deal of anti-UN propaganda thrown in - and why not!? True fire-and-thunder Heinlein militaristic, anarcho-libertarianism.
Be patient with the odd prose style - it'll grow on you.
And the character of the computer, Mike, is very touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-buy, 20 April 2001
This is simply a wonderful book, reminiscent of Asimov or Clarke at their best, but with actual characters! Heinlein's use of language is amazing, forming a whole new slang language which despite being very original is still easily understood throughout, and gives an extra credability to his dialogues, and whilke the plot is about a revolution on the moon, it is told through the eyes of one character and as such manages something that very few sci-fi writers ever manage- he makes the people real as well as the technology. It seems a little dated in teh technology at times, but otherwise is remarkable. Just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply, the best SF yarn I have *ever* read., 8 April 2000
By A Customer
I recall trying to read it first when I was about twelve, a time in my life when the at times quite peculiar "Looonie" language went straight over my head, and the political intrigue was a bit too deep for me. Since then, I must have read this story dozens of times... I think it's about time I treated myself to a new copy, the old one is falling apart!
When, oh, when, is someone going to turn this book into a film? There are so many parallels with the Internet theme that its time has surely come!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, but not his best, 28 July 1998
By A Customer
Thought of by many as his most important, if not best novel, "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistess" is thoroughly enjoyable and (I hate to use the cliche) one of those books you can't put down. But it lacked real insight into human relationships, something Heinlein displayed a great knack for in "Stranger In A Strange Land." If you're looking for your first Heinlein novel, read "Stranger," then read "Moon."

5.0 out of 5 stars TANSTAAFL!, 31 Mar 1997
By A Customer
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress plays on a main theme Robert Heinlein masterfully weaved in all of his novels; that There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch, elequently put together under the word TANSTAAFL. For Robert Heinlein, no thing has value unless you are willing to commit your lives, your fortunes, and your sacred honor. The central character is Manny, a computer systems analyst reluctantly thrust into being the focal point of a revolution between the moon and earth. Dragged into participation, he moves from severe doubts to its success to being a forceful commited revolutionary who launches his entire being to liberating his beloved Luna. In the bittersweet ending we understand that success or failure is secondary to the value of commitment, and that to care passionately about a noble goal and to give all of yourself is the core of our being and our humanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Heinlein, 2 Sep 2009
Before this novel I had read Starship troopers which had really impressed me. i rented The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress from my library thinking it would just pass the the time beforemy next novel.

It starts excellently with the introduction of the protagonist and one of the best chracters ever, Mike the computer. You have to read the novel to really understand Mike but the other characterisations are excellent, especially the prorotaginist Manauel.

To me this is withinmy top 5 novels, which is excellent because I rented it witohut any review to do so.

Through, this novel has excellent characters, stories and hard sci fi and I rate it as the best sci-fi coup book ever, and nearly as the best sci-fi novel ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Science Fiction Novel, 8 Jan 2002
By A Customer
Don't be put off by the title, the story carries a simple but highly enjoyable tale of the independence of the moon in a future time. Heinlein's gift is to tell a story with engaging simplicity, some of his thoughts of the future are remarkable in their accuracy today. This book though written some years ago, still stacks up as a thoroughly enjoyable tale. If you like your Sci-fi dark and dangerous, this is definately not for you, but if you like the triumph of good, get it and enjoy! Other books by Robert Heinlein try "A door into Summer", "Time enough for Love"

5.0 out of 5 stars heinlein at his best, 23 July 2009
For me this is Robert Heinlein's best novel, if not one of the greatest science fiction novels ever.

It is a great blend of science fiction, political intrigue and social commentary. What makes the book shine for me, however, are the characters. Mike the computer steals the show, but around him are several other interesting creations.

This is one of the few books that I can re-read frequently. If you like sci-fi, this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Read, 5 July 2012
I bought this because over the years I've already worn out two copies re-reading it multiple times. I'm open to the genre but I'm not a hard-bitten 'science-fiction fan' however this book is amazing on so many levels, as a thriller, psychologically, and politically and it really inspires us to think for ourselves and think outside the box. Just great literature I think. I can remember trying to read other stuff by Heinlein as I was so impressed with this book when I first came across it but felt very disappointed by his other works, this stands out as exceptional and I highly recommend you read it.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Robert A. Heinlein (Hardcover - 11 Dec 2008)