4.0 out of 5 stars "Invasion of the Nostalgicons"
A warm and charming book in which the author tells his life story so far, referenced to what Doctor Who stories were showing during key events. Yes I know I've made it sound anoraky, but it isn't.

Published on 19 Mar 2008 by Bob Marlowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Dalek I Loved You: 50th Anniversary Edition
I suppose the book is an enjoyable enough read. The laughs make it worth the £1.02 I paid.

I am, however, baffled as to how this was published. The guy is not really anything more than a nostalgic fan [Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker specifically] of Doctor Who and watches the new series as part of his job.

DILY isn't much more than an updated...
Published 10 months ago by Seekles

4.0 out of 5 stars "Invasion of the Nostalgicons", 19 Mar 2008
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)

Readers who love Dr Who and are of the same age will find lots to smile and chuckle at, while they are sat on the train or wherever with knowing smiles. The acid test of any book that gives an author's subjective opinion of a Dr Who story is do you want to keep reading when he disses your favourites and in my case the answer was yes.

Readers may find as they did that they compare themselves to Nick Griffiths on the fabled "Anorak Scale" e.g. he will clearly pay considerably more for a piece of Dr Who merchandise than me and it is in these key areas that spell out what kind of a fan the author is, where his humour makes it such an ejoyable read. Parts such as where he deals with friends reaction to a show they hold in much less regard and attempts to buy Dr Who videos from a paper where he makes it sound almost shady are a treat.

If you are 35 plus then you'll find plenty to enjoy especially if you've already done the big 4. Much younger and you won't get enough of the references (not just to The Police Box Show but to events at the time) to get anything out of it.

I definitely think my mate Alastair should be made to read it and I don't say that lightly!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Seventies Memoir Around, 20 Dec 2007
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
Dalek I Loved You looks like it's going to plough the same well-worn material as other seventies memoirs, such as those written by Andrew Collins. Actually - this one is far superior to any of the others in this genre. It's funny, genuine, and Griffiths comes over as a really decent bloke who can't believe his good fortune to be earning a living writing about stuff he loves.

The Dr Who material is well-handled, and brought back loads of great memories for me from the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker eras of the programme. With a writing style that is slick and easy to read, Griffiths has put together a real page turner of a trip down memory lane that will appeal to lots of people who grew up loving classic Dr Who. Really well done - and a great feel good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to be a Doctor Who fan... but it helps, 27 Mar 2007
A. Brideson (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
It's been a while since I've read a book cover to cover in one or two sittings, and Dalek I Love You is definitely one of those. A childhood memoir (that really shouldn't be as highly entertaining as it actually is) intertwined with Doctor Who (and various 80s pop culture) factoids, it really doesn't matter that the narrative frequently jumps around all over the place, as Griffiths' writing style makes things as smooth and effortlessly offhanded as you'd expect from a music journo. There are several laugh-out-loud moments, and it even elicited a few wistful memories, despite my being born a decade later. Oh, and you don't have to be a Doctor Who fan, but it helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm bloke autobiography for 30- and 40-year-old Dr Who fans, 15 Dec 2007
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
A mixed bag, this book. Parts of it are a warm nostalgia trip back to 1970s childhood, parts of it are the frankly slightly bland and self-indulgent autobiography of a journalist, all with a heavy emphasis on placing Doctor Who in those contexts. Total Doctor Who obsessives (especially the ones who grew up with Pertwee and Tom Baker) will know too much of this already, people with passing or no Who interest should steer well clear, making it aimed at the medium-level Whovian.

However if that medium-level Whovian is you (and if you're reading this review then it might be) and you're looking for a real-life 'bloke lit' story of private school childhood and an adolescent hunt for that ideal sexy but Who-loving girlfriend, then you'll enjoy this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dalek I Loved You: 50th Anniversary Edition, 12 Nov 2013

DILY isn't much more than an updated autobiography of some Radio Times staff member with a loose Doctor Who connection. In fact, I would go as far to say that the legendary David Bowie is mentioned more than that of the show which the book is meant to be about. The anniversary edition is just the same stuff but with abrupt interruption for some side notes, much of which is just interviews that the guy has conducted.

2.0 out of 5 stars None, 7 Feb 2012
M. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This guy did not come across as much of a fan or engaging as a person. Im not sure what this book is but it is not fun. This sort of thing can be done well, contrast it to the charm of Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf for example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick... thanks for the time machine, 14 July 2008
M. D. Cassidy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
This is such a beautiful book. Nick writes warmly and entertainingly about his own childhood obsession and in doing so reminds us of our own and how they shaped the people we became. As I read,long buried memories of my own childhood exploded in my head thanks to the detail with which Nick documents his love of Dr Who, his family relationships and the path his life has taken. Nick's writing style is powerfully evocative and made me feel like a passenger in his own personal time machine. No Whovian could fail to be charmed by this amusing tale and non fans will enjoy an entertaining and witty personal memoir which at the end, moved me to tears. Dont miss it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for hard core fans, 13 May 2008
De Bakey (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
For those of use who remember Dr Who in the 1970s, there is a modicum of interest in this book. But there is too little Dr Who and too much about the author's life. This would be OK if the author had experienced an interesting life, but sadly he hasn't. The story of a shy public school boy at University is a common one and some of the details described about his later romances felt intrusive rather than insightful. OK as a holiday paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars So true...., 7 Jan 2009
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
Nick and I are very close in age, within a couple of months in 1965, and so our memories plough the same furrow. This was a truly enjoyable read. Nick has a relaxed and warm feel to his writing, and he really doesn't come across as a sad old git who likes Doctor Who (like me, I'm told!) The Doctor Who bit is really just a peg to hang some amusing memories on. I get it! So could you!

5.0 out of 5 stars You dont have to like Dr Who to love this book ..., 17 April 2007
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
Somone lent me this book recently. As I don't really like Dr Who I wasn't sure I would like it. But I loved it. I was laughing out loud on the bus on the way to work and even cried a little at one point. It helps that I lived through the era so remember the songs, TV programmes etc - but the stories about growing up, the birth of his son and breaking up with girlfriends are genuinly very touching. I have already recommended this to friends - it's a really fun read.

Dalek I Loved You (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Dalek I Loved You (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Nick Griffiths (Paperback - 10 April 2008)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available