5.0 out of 5 stars !!!Concept Vertigo!!!
Firstly; watch out for plot spoiler reviews!!
(it's not a mystery tour if you know where your heading)

Egan's work is 'Hard' Sci-Fi of the highest order. I give him the edge over Brian Aldis (my other favorite), as concepts are heavier and plots driven by 'rawer' science at a blistering pace.

His breadth of vision astounds; always extrapolating...
Published on 11 Jan. 2010 by numpty

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much Science, not enough Fiction.
Published 3 months ago by toptoper

5.0 out of 5 stars !!!Concept Vertigo!!!, 11 Jan. 2010
numpty (Great britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Axiomatic (Paperback)
Firstly; watch out for plot spoiler reviews!!
(it's not a mystery tour if you know where your heading)

His breadth of vision astounds; always extrapolating logically to the n'th degree. A modicum of effort may be required from the reader at times; but one is richly rewarded with a sense of awe, discovery and achievement. Each book is a Grand Odyssey.

Hold tight and don't look down, because he'll take you a long, long way from where you started....

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much Science, not enough Fiction., 5 April 2015
This review is from: Axiomatic (Paperback)
I'm being generous here because I found the first three of the stories such a struggle that I gave up. If I were rating this book on what I had read I would give it one star, but I'll assume the other stories are better and give it two. The problem? The author seems much too keen on the Science, and insufficiently keen on the Fiction. It's like reading a popular science book with the detail randomly interspersed with a story. If you are familiar with the science the scanty story will not hold your attention. If you are not familiar with the science you won't learn anything and the scanty story still won't hold your attention. Here's a line from the first page: "The number of parallel worlds is uncountably infinite". It might have been OK if he had stopped at "infinite" (and had included an interesting story), but "uncountably infinite"? Later in the "story" he explains that "uncountably" refers to an infinity like the Real numbers, as opposed to a countable infinity like the Ordinals. If you know what he's talking about you'll know that a) the explanation is unhelpful without more information and b) adds nothing to the story. If you don't know what he's talking about you won't have learned much, if anything. If I wanted a lecture I would have bought a different book. I wanted fiction, but this was just showing off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Short Stories, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Axiomatic (Paperback)
Interesting and absorbing. If you enjoy well written SciFi, and loved "The Matrix" for the way it messes with your mind, or "Neuromancer" for the theme of future tech misused and taken too far, then this is the book for you, because it takes it all to the next level and beyond....

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, very well written and often chilling, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Axiomatic (Kindle Edition)
A witty, thoughtful and well-crafted collection of short stories, combining convincing characterisation with fascinating, well grounded and often chilling speculation on the human effects of scientific advance,

4.0 out of 5 stars Easily read and yet highly thought provoking., 29 Oct. 1999
This review is from: Axiomatic (Mass Market Paperback)
Axiomatic a collection of short stories, each one a masterpiece. When I finished it all I could think was - I must read more Greg Egan. Not only does he have a powerful imagination, but he also knows how to put his ideas into writing.
Stop wasting your time buy it now !

4.0 out of 5 stars Brain twisting, thought bending, bewilderingly futuristic..., 19 May 2000
kjh2@st-and.ac.uk (St. Andrews, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Axiomatic (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a mind expanding journey into the science fiction universe. These are short stories that you will read again and again, bringing something new to them, noticing something different every time you read them. They are a gateway to new ideas and ways of thinking and left me a wee bit more curious about the world I live in. Greg Egan is a master of science fiction with an amazing working knowledge of science in general that comes through in every paragraph. An enjoyable and challanging book for anyone that has sat, thinking of the future and wondered 'what if....'

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Axiomatic (Kindle Edition)
Good short stories!

Axiomatic
Axiomatic by Greg Egan (Paperback - 7 Feb. 2008)