5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent romp in a wonderfully realised city.
The Thorn of Camorr is a legendary master swordsman, stealing from the rich to give to the poor. He is also a complete fabrication. Locke Lamora is the fabled Thorn and whilst adept at stealing from the rich - after all only they have anything worth stealing, he never really got to grips with the giving to the poor bit. When it comes to swordplay, he's only a danger to...
Published on 2 Jun 2012 by The Hatchet Bunny

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but tries a bit too hard
"The Lies of Locke Lamora" is the first in a projected series of seven books detailing the adventures of The Gentleman Bastards, a gang of thieves and conmen from the Venice-like city of Camorr. It's a ripping yarn full of larger-than-life characters, something akin to "Moll Flanders" meets "Pulp Fiction"; mostly light-hearted but with moments of savage violence, as...
Published on 12 Mar 2011 by Anne Lyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and packed full of goodness., 2 Sep 2009
G. Phethean "GP" (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
The Lies of Locke Lamora is most certainly an original book full of twists and turns, fighting and gore, swearing, pick-pocketing, scheming, conning, trickery and wicked characters (did I miss anything?). Quite truthfully, it has a little something for everyone.

Scott Lynch is a superb writer and spins a web of twists better than a Black Widow spider.
The characters are believable and I was able to connect and understand not only their traits, but their goals and what the protagonists were, ultimately, trying to achieve. The antagonist is also excellent and he has interesting motives. It's not a book about a nasty man who hates everyone and, in turn, we hate him. Then our hero comes along saves the day blah, blah, blah...NO! The story and characters are on a whole other level. The story strolls along and then suddenly something completely unexpected will happen 'Blam!' It's like a punch to the back of the head.

I really can appreciate a book that can keep you guessing. Too often is it that storylines are predictable and the author's attempt at misdirection is foiled by the reader immediately.
Read this book if you looking for a thrilling read, clever writing and an author with some great ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic an original, 21 April 2009
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
I have read a lot of fantasy, and the story about a young man saving the world from a all-mighty evil, has gotten old. Locke Lamora is a new type of hero that you cant help liking. It is so original, I cant think of one single book to compare it with. Recomended to everyone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and deeply flawed, 3 April 2010
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
It starts out well enough, and Scott Lynch writes fairly well.
The worldbuilding falls through on several levels (unimaginably powerful mages with mind control available FOR RENT?), and the story suffers from a few major flaws as well, ruining any suspension of disbelief. (When killing your worst enemy who has done unimaginable things to you, you don't leave halfway through the drowing so his friends can conviniently save him).
As the story wouldn't work at all without these glaring inconsistencies, I must conclude that it's flawed to the level of complete failure.

It's not the worst I've read, and I even finished it. But on no account will I buy the next book in this series, nor would I recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 17 Nov 2006
this is what books should be like. it was fun! that is not available in enough books. there was not a single point in the book where i found myself looking at my watch or checking how many pages where left. i finished disappointed only that it was not twice as long. definitely a book where my "name" does not apply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have at you....dog, 30 May 2009
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
Loved this I have been avoiding fantasy for about ten years as had got so tedious and predictable,but this is a gem ,beautifully painted world with characters portrayed realisticly.If you hav,nt read it then please do I cannot recomend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fantasy book - must read, 16 May 2008
Dr. Stephen Culshaw (Newbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
Both my wife and I have read this and really enjoyed it.
I'd say it's one of those "must read" books.

The second book in the Gentleman Bastards sequence is on order, and we'll see who gets to read it first !!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much hussle, not enough bussle., 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
I'd never read Scott Lynch before, was just looking for something 'different' so gave this one a try. It's not that it's badly written it just didn't draw me in. The plot jumps all over the place, trying to be too clever by half. The 'marks' would of had to of been braindead not to realize they were being taken for mugs. To me the world just didn't feel 'real', you can't populate a fantasy world just by bombarding the reader with place names that have no bearing on the story. It seemed that the plot, and action was being explained to me, rather than actually taking place.
I won't be following the story with book 2, i found Camorr a snore. The book made my eyes ache.
If you're after gritty fantasy, go read Joe Abercrombies books. Sure there's swearing, it's violent, and the characters are erm...troubled, but they are great fun. His dialogue and character interaction is fantastic, at times equally hilarious and moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters and imagery, 26 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
Brilliant book, this is unputdownable, i do read a lot of different novels in all genres, i am not an expert on fantasy books, but this was funny and memorable, Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Jun 2008
Mr. J. J. Bradley (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
I bought this book on impulse when away from home for a couple of days. What a lucky choice! It's a great read with some fantastic characters and ideas. Read this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars 280 pages of brilliance, plus 250 of needless verbosity, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
When it comes to SF, I've read enough to know what I like but not so much that there's virtually none of it left. With proper Fantasy it's a different matter. I Discworlded up to about The Fifth Elephant and loved Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, but I'm not even sure they count. Hence this, as an attempt to give the genre a go and see if it and I get along.

Obviously I can't comment on how new or ground-breaking the ideas in The Lies of Locke Lamora are - though if Fantasy is anything like other genres then there's practically nothing now that isn't a riff on something already seen several dozen times - but from the perspective of an ingénue there was a lot to enjoy. There is a fabulous sense of atmosphere (though very little of actual place) and characters who feel like people acting out of genuine emotions and ideas rather than simply being moved around to fit the author's ideas. The dissolute profanity had evidently irritated a few people, but I loved how it precluded most of the pomposity and kept the humour quotient high.

What this book really needs, though, is a serious - a very serious - edit. I'd argue virtually half of it could be cut away without losing much of the atmosphere, and it would instantly become twice as readable. Some of the flashbacks are nice, but many scenes feel swollen well past self-indulgence and a lot of the historical detail just drags. Given that the main villain's motivation feels recycled even to me it seems counter-intuitive to make getting there such hard work, and trimming down to a more propulsive narrative would make the destination seem more worthy of the journey.

Lynch obviously knows his world inside out and is clearly very excited to be able to tell us about it, and I don't wish to pick holes needlessly in his very impressive achievement of making it live and breathe. It's just a shame that a genuinely thrilling and compelling narrative gets lost in his enthusiasm - especially as I see there are six further books planned, which would surely give him plenty of space to work things in. But, hey, I'm new here. Maybe given a bit more time I can work out your crazy customs...

The Lies of Locke Lamora
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Paperback - 1 Feb 2007)
8.09