Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 March 2015
Clever but a too long.
on 29 February 2008
Scott Lynch has blended two genres - the Big-Store Con, and the Renaissance-style fantasy novel - with a remarkable eye for detail and exceptional talent. The book's pace is excellent, and despite a flashback-heavy timeline, the chronology is clear and satisfying to follow. Well worth purchasing, with high re-read value.
on 24 November 2011
Like some of the other reviewers of The Lies of Locke Lamora I nearly gave up on this book within the first few pages, but I have only ever abandoned a book before finishing it once and so decided to persevere. I'm glad I did.

This is a book that definitely improves as it goes along. As others have said, it's as if the author was finding his feet at the beginning but most definitely got into his stride after the first few chapters. The use of the flashback "interludes" becomes clearer the further into the book you get.

I WILL be reading the sequel Red Seas Under Red Skies (GollanczF.) although I see there are mixed reviews of that. I hope that at some point we learn about the Locke/Sabetha love story that was only alluded to in The Lies of Locke Lamora and also, of course, Locke's real name, behind which I'm sure lies a tale.

I have given this book 4 stars instead of 5 because, as some other reviewers have mentioned, I too found the swearing to be OTT and almost anachronistic. Having said that, I think that substituting "gadzooks" or similar for the eff words would also have been "wrong"...it would have been preferable, from my own point of view, had the author been able to "invent" alternative curses...he obviously has a vivid imagination and I'm sure this would be possible!

Overall, a gripping and jolly good read! I would love to see this book made into a film. Robert Carlyle to play Locke Lamora?!
on 29 September 2014
An average book as a whole. The plot is very fin, with many inconsistencies, characters are wasted. The flashbacks were awful fillers, I recommend skipping them as they break the rythm of the story, with no real added value to the story.
On the bright side, you have a very interesting main character, quite original. As for the story, it has its moment and it is a page-turner.
on 5 March 2014
Brilliant read, slightly extended narrative sometimes causes skipping lines but otherwise fantastically delivered characters and story with some serious twists and unexpected turns! a must read!!
on 24 November 2013
Really brilliant book, witty and clever and keeps you guessing with an original storyline. Honestly couldn't predict wht would happen next, loved the story line and the characters - a must read!
on 26 April 2014
Read this after reading a review on good reads. Was thoroughly hooked from the start. Couldn't put it down. Loved the characters, concept and language - particularly the creative cursing :).
on 14 September 2007
I received this book through the post with no idea of who sent it to me and no way of sending it back! I read the scores of five stars on amazon and decided that it would be worth a punt.

This review is not to add much detail about the storyline or characters - there are some excellent and comprehensive reviews on here already. The storyline is exciting and interesting. The background of the setting and the characters are also rich and if they existed you would say 'well researched' or that the author must have been there!

Instead, I just wanted to say that I did not feel that this book was worthy of the praise or five star reviews that it has received. It is a good book, but it does not rate as highly as the 20 or so other reviewers would have you believe.
I enjoyed the storyline, but it lacked a certain spark to give it five stars. this could have been something completely unique about the book or some relevance or insight to life as offered by other books that do deserve 5/5 - like To Kill a Mockingbird etc. This book is good, but not a classic.
on 7 December 2015
I have read all of Scott Lynch's books about Locke Lamora and absolutely loved them. I really connected with the writing and the style of story. I was bereft when they were finished.
on 15 April 2015
I hate it when people tell me "you must read this" etc etc. All I can say is I give 5* very rarely for books. This was better than I expected (and I had hoped I'd like it).