5.0 out of 5 stars John Meaney snapping at the heels of "China Mieville", 7 April 2008
Glenn R. Bell (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
Having begun my readership of John Meaney with his SciFi books, I am extremely pleased to have followed him to Tristopolis. One caveat associated with this review is this book should, in my opinion, have been noted as a continuence of "Bone Song", Mr. Meaney's introduction to this truely fantastic death-infused world. While not a requirement for reading "Dark Blood", it will add to the experience.
My reference to Mr. Mieville is intended to be a great compliment to this book and its author. If you admire Mr. Mieville's world-building masterpieces, you'll love these books.
Others will surely do a better job of detailing the plot, leaving me to share a few comments on the reading experience.
From the first word to the last, with no slackening in the middle, you will be "ensorcelled" into a world of bizarre and finely draw beings. The mystery plot serves as a suitable stage on which to showcase the maturing talents of an outstanding SciFi/Fantasy author.
I hope to visit this world again, but will definitly keep an eye out and a step ahead of its more dangerous inhabitants.
Great writing and a terrific read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Can you hear the bones???? Repairman Jack meets Underworld., 7 May 2008
This guy KNOWS how to end his books!!! The follow up to "Bone Song", which you really have to read first, starts a little slowly, which is why it just missed 5*. Bone Song was so packed with the building materials - location, atmosphere and characters - that maybe Book 2 was inevitably going to spend a little more time on emotional creation. Its difficult to say which characters live on in this sequel when so many of them are dead (? or not living) anyway. But it builds and builds and builds to a most horrifyingly exciting finish. Or is it? I don't think so. Dark scifi/horror, unpredictable and original. Go get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Detective Riordan’s back, and this time he’s un-dead., 19 Oct 2014
Willy Eckerslike (France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I’ve been looking forward to reading this for some time and I’m glad to say that I was not disappointed although I really should have re-read Bone Song beforehand to remind me of the characters and events.

With the heart of his dead girlfriend beating in his chest, Donal the zombie is again investigating some very shady goings-on in Tristopolis, with old enemies, new & unpleasant politics, dubious purple phones and discrimination, all while trying to get the hang of being un-dead. This is a gothic noir science fiction masterpiece with Meaney’s trademark host of characters, intrigue and interwoven sub-plots. The narrative bowls along at a relentless pace, there’s splendidly witty dialogue, heaps of gloomy gothic atmosphere, zombies, wraiths, bone listeners, sentient vehicles, golems … the list goes on.

This is easily one of the best books I read for a long time and I highly recommend it to anyone who fancies something a bit different. Thanks to Amazon’s apparent trend in stocking fewer ‘minority-interest’ books (hoping, I expect, to boost sales of E-books & Kindles), I bought my copy via the splendid BookDepository dot com although I did get the American edition confusingly entitled ‘Black Blood’ as the UK ‘s ‘Dark Blood’ edition was not available. Interestingly, I believe that BookDepository is now owned by Amazon so I’m sure they won’t mind me plugging them in an Amazon review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A damn good read, 20 Feb 2011
S. FORGAN (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This being the sequel to Bone Song I was expecting a lot, and I got it! This series is set in a very alternative world that had me hooked from the start, a great combination of memorable characters and Atmosphere. You really need to read Bone Song first before you try this or you will be completely lost. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - both books really, 14 Oct 2010
Been a while since I last read some of his books.

Took a chance buying both Bone Song and Dark Blood - and they are just a great read.

Fascinating world which I got totally absorbed with. Good dark crime fantasy, I would call it. But then I have never read anything quite like it.

Somewhere between Charles Stross and Dan Abnett when they explore some "darker ways".

Hope he will continue these books ! Easily recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Aug 2008
This review is from: Dark Blood (Gollancz S.F.) (Paperback)
This is even better than Blood Song and I loved that. My only complaint is that it ended as it did and the next book isn't out until February - not fair!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding follow up to Bone Song, 27 July 2009
AvidReader (St.Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
If you read the first novel in this series you will want to read this one too. Equal parts science fiction and dark fantasy blended into a unique and highly detailed new world. Can't wait for the next one!

Dark Blood (Gollancz S.F.)
Dark Blood (Gollancz S.F.) by John Meaney (Paperback - 20 Mar 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01