5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clever!
My daughter loves Dr Who ... & hates bad grammar ... so this was the perfect book! Very clever idea.
Published 4 months ago by A M S

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully unfunny
Possibly the worst book I every nearly read. I say nearly because I got more than halfway through without cracking a single smile and then gave up.

Published on 11 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully unfunny, 11 Oct 2009
Amazon Customer (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews

To make matters worse, the chapters have been shuffled into a completely random order, so if you want the story to make any kind of sense you must a) be a masochist and b) go back to the index page to find out where the next chapter has been hidden.

There is a reason why you can pick this up new in the market place for only one penny, because it's terrible. Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clever!, 24 Mar 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Misses The Mark, 19 Oct 2006
This review is from: Doctor Whom: n/a (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Hardcover)
What a great idea - a Doctor Who/Eats, Shoots and Leaves parody. Unfortunately, this has not been written by a witty, erudite grammar Nazi and Doctor Who fan, but by someone with a talent for churning out wordcount but little else. Mel Brooks once said something along the lines of, "to effectively spoof something, you have to have detailed knowledge of the things you are spoofing". Sadly, 'Roberts' clearly has little interest in Doctor Who (shamelessly admitted in the appendix) and so misses out on the great potential for an affectionate or cutting send up, instead resorting to lazy tabloid journo cliche, a good fifteen years out of date. This is an overpriced and unfunny stocking filler that will only bore editors and Who fans alike if they're unfortunate enough to find it in their Chrimbo stockings. Avoid!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many colons..., 10 Jan 2008
J. T. Neville (Redwood City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Whom: n/a (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Hardcover)
As a fan of the semi-colon, I was stunned how nearly every sentence has a colon in it. So many so that I find that I can't read even a paragraph without falling into a fit of pique at the injustice of it all. Where is my friend the semi-colon? Why has he been replaced by his true-blood brother? Oh my!

Now really this book is disappointing. I enjoy both Doctor Who and Eats, Shoots & Leaves so had high hopes for this title; alas this story captures neither well and parodies both poorly.

I think the used and new for 0.27 pounds is the most telling. I just wish I had looked before buying. =)

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud, 5 Jun 2007
S. A. Pauley "story teller" (Poole, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Whom: n/a (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Hardcover)
I actually read this book through twice. First time through I found it amusing, quite clever and a little confusing. Then my son got interested so I decided to read it to him as a bedtime story. Rather than read it as written, I put the chapters back into order for him and began. On reading it out loud it became a different book as so many of the jokes rely on 'hearing' the words. At times I was laughing so hard I couldn't get through the story much to my son's annoyance. For those who didn't enjoy it's first read through - try out loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 3 Jan 2007
M. Slocombe - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Whom: n/a (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Hardcover)
I must say i disagree entirely with the first review - as a doctor who fan with detailed knowledge of the show i still found this book witty, suitably parodical and i loved the layout of the chapters. It is sort of like a puzzle, finding the chapters and looking for the in-jokes. Who cares about the journo cliches? Why do cliches always have to be bad? Sometimes they work, and one of those times is in Doctor Whom.

Maybe for me it is just the perfect mix of two things i like: Doctor Who and English Language commentary (although admittedly there was less of that than i expected) but don't knock it until you've tried it!

3.0 out of 5 stars I am the real Dr. Whom, 2 Oct 2011
Doctor Whom "The Doctor" (Newton,, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
I decided a few months ago to assume the mantle and associated burdens and responsibilities of Dr. Whom (aka Dr_Whom and a few other variants as websites accept them) as my sobriquet, nom de plume, nom de guerre, etc.

I justify this action because I am
1) a real MD, and
2) at least slightly more objective than Dr. Who*.

There have been several episodes in which Dr. Who-ziwhatsis encounters various impostors or time-traveled, alternate versions of himself, so I am content to assume that the Doctor Whom herein portrayed is such an alternate version of moi. I certainly hope that if he (as accused) quite a twit, that I may be less so.

You will find my objectivity at various reviews, etc., but most of all at [...]
* For those whose education does not extend to prescribed English usage, I point out that "Who" is in the subjective case, while "Whom" is in the objective.

Doctor Whom: n/a (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Doctor Whom: n/a (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Adam Roberts (Hardcover - 21 Sep 2006)
8.34