on 22 April 2008
I couldn't disagree more with the other review! While I admittedly haven't read all three yet, I've read the first, and I think that the other customer misses the point. It is blatantly based on the Harry Potter series, with characters and plots being manipulated to suit the story... (Barry Trotter and the Philosophers Scone)

The names say it all, with all the characters having a different spin such as Barry Trotter himself who's still in Hogwash after 11 years, Lord Valumart whose on the Dork (Dark) side, Lon Measley (who's been hit in the head with a basher) and Serious Blech, to name a few.

If you're a Harry Potter fan with a sense of humour I would say that these books are worth a read, due to their hilarious if rather plot holed story. But this is redeemed in itself as the author admits to this in the book, using whitty satire and sarcasm to blag his way through what otherwise would have been a terrible book.

I'd say that this book is worth a read if you don't take the book seriously and just take the many random and illogical twists and turns as they come!
on 4 November 2010
What can I say about Barry Trotter?

Quite a lot actually, but I'll settle for funny... sometimes so funny that I laugh out loud (attracting strange looks from those that happen to be in my immediate vicinity).

Yes they can be crude, vulgar, crass and often have plot holes through which you could drive a juggernaut, but so what! They are PARODIES... they are not out to compete with the original books that they are poking fun at, one meaning of the word parody is "something done so badly that it seems like an intentional mockery" (Collins English Dictionary) and this is what they do. I find myself reaching for them when the real world gets too mundane and I feel the need to escape to a different place.

They are a joke, a farce and if you are expecting something that is in any way serious, then don't buy them. If you'd like to see how Harry Potter would be as a grown-up having to inhabit the same world the rest of us have to live in (albeit with the addition of magic to help, or sometimes hinder, things) then I would highly recommend these books.
on 22 October 2015
This is a Christmas gift. It looks better than I expected but I can't comment on whether or not it is funny. The goods arrived on time.
on 22 March 2015
My Wife is a Harry Potter fanatic , I got this set for her as a bit of a joke , they are perfect for a laugh .
on 15 September 2014
I have purchased these for a friend for Christmas and she enjoys them; so I would recommend. Thank you.
on 19 October 2015
If you know your Harry Potter books/films then these books look at the humourous side to them
on 9 April 2015
These are funny books, I love reading parody versions of things
on 19 March 2015
Great spoof of Harry Potter.
on 13 December 2014
very pleased with box set.