Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2016
The blurb provides sufficient background to the content of the book, so not going to repeat or add any spoilers.

This is a really easy book to read that should have enough to keep you engaged. This is a very characters driven story and isn't heavy on sci-fi. On the downside it will occasionally feel a little contrived and when it does touch on the science, it's really is a bit excessive, good news is you can ignore it.

Will I get the next book, probably.
on 13 October 2009
I have been an A.C.Clarke fan for almost as long as I can remember. So when I saw this Trilogy I ordered it. As I started to read it I began to feel I had seen it all before. I checked that there was no 'eye' looking at me from my study window, and I was in a time warp. No but I saw an ancient yellowing paperback on my bookshelf "October 1st will be too late" by Fred Hoyle where exactly this scenario was explored. What with this and sneaky phrases lifted straight from 2001, I found that instead of enjoying a really great yarn I got very annoyed. Sorry Arthur, this is one book you shouldn't have written
on 13 July 2013
I've really enjoyed several of Arthur C Clarke's works in the last few years, so was delighted to discover this, certainly the strongest and most intriguing work in this trilogy. Anyone who enjoys classic 'what if' science fiction stories should find this a worthwhile read, but the follow up - Sunstorm - was somewhat disappointing.
on 26 February 2013
This was sold as an companion piece to the famed "Space Odyssey" written by Arthur C. Clarke, however based solely upon the first book - "Time's Eye", it has very little to do with the famed sci-fi epic. Apart from a brief scene at the beggining of the novel featuring ancient apes and the discovery of the floating "orb", there are very few connections between the two stories. Certainly having Alexander the Great battling Gengis Khan was interesting, but I felt the characters acepted their fate and the so-called explanation as to why they had all be brought together on the new version of Earth called Mir was a little rushed. However, if this is merely a starting point to events in the later books that will tie-in more closely with events of "Space Odyssey" it will do fine.
on 19 August 2005
Well, I was disappointed with this. These are two of my all-time favourite authors. They write so well. I think I was expecting something much more anchored in science, this seemed to be much more about history (with a twist). The writing is still good, I suppose I just didn't enjoy the basic premise of the story.
If you prefer hard science fiction, avoid this.
on 9 September 2010
This book is not in the same league as RAMA. If Rama Scored 10/10 Then this book would be a 2/10.It is an historical fantasy, interesting if your interest is in military strategy but this is not Science fiction. The book is 344 pages long and some thought is given to creating an ending about 25 pages before the end. I will continue the series but will not buy another book and have made a reservation at the Library.
on 12 March 2015
I didn't like it at all, it was so jumpy, and all over the place, pretty boring in parts and annoying in some, not a good book in my opinion.
on 23 June 2014
In many ways the story mirrors that of 2001 and its sequels,as if told in a different form.It does not seem though to address the question of exactly what happened to the populations of the changed time zones:did they end up on another version of the carved up Earth? I felt the ancient intelligence would have been more benevolent and constructive.And surely with their ability to alter the time zones of one planet,wouldn't their destiny be to arrest the decay caused by time? Anyway I look forward eagerly to the next books in the series.
on 19 August 2015
At times it's difficult to believe that Arthur C. Clarke had a hand in writing this book, there are such glaring inconsistencies and implausibilities. Having said that, suspend disbelief, ignore the highly unlikely coincidences, and you will probably enjoy this book. If you read science fiction with a view to escaping this world for a different one, then the cataclysmic event at the centre of the story provides that escape and will keep you fascinated.
on 6 April 2006
Let me start by saying that i DID really enjoy this book. Its just that having read alot of Sir Arthurs work i couldnt help feeling a little dissapointed? Maybe it is Stephen Baxters influence, as i have not read any of his work so cant really comment. As an earlier reviewer states, it is more history than science, which is where the frustration lies as the science involved is very interesting and i wanted to hear more of it! That said, i am looking forward to Times Eye 2 and expect it to be great, i hope it developes into a series as good as the Rama books. Just one final thing, at one point Rudyard Kipling on page 101 calls the phone, sir gadget? as gadget was a the nickname coined for the first atomic bomb in the early 1940's how could ruddy have known this word and used it? small point granted but im sure Sir Arthur checks is facts meticulously and its little slips like that that can ruin a book for me. kind regards.