5.0 out of 5 stars Finished at last
Published 6 months ago by ian hosking

"I see you finally decide to turn up then." Covenant observed with a percipient but impenetrable mien of thesauric obscurity.

"Yes," the Creator replied. "I know you expected it at the end of the book, but frankly I was so disappointed I couldn't bring myself to manifest until now."

"But..." Covenant's ring flared puissant argent with a theurgic...
Published 9 months ago by R. M. Lindley

3.0 out of 5 stars The end. Please dear Creator, let it be the end.... (mild spoilers), 26 Oct 2013
R. M. Lindley - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

"But..." Covenant's ring flared puissant argent with a theurgic mention of the krill thrown in to boot. "This was the final book, ever. It has some great action scenes! I fight a raver! Skurj! Cavewights! Masters do loads of kung fu in an epic underground battle! Linden Avery stops moaning! What wasn't there to like?"

The Creator frowned. "I know there was some really good stuff. The return of the fire-lions was a masterful stroke by Donaldson, and some of the character development, especially for Jeremiah, was actually quite good. But the same old problems remain, don't they? Endless moaning by Linden before the final chapter. The Land feels empty, with a total population of about 20, plus 400 nameless Masters. The repetition of words scoured from from the furthest regions of the thesaurus still grates..."

"Nonsense!" Covenant interrupted percipiently, congratulating himself with a condign simony of guerdon. "And the The Last Dark actually reads as a sensitive exploration of what it is to undergo mental and physical abuse and emerge as a survivor. Surely that deserves 5 stars, not a paltry 3?"

"But what about the many, many pages given over to describing how to mine some rock?" the Creator countered. "Geology isn't that exciting to start with, and although Jeremiah is supposedly capable of making a prison to trap the creator, why doesn't he make one for the skurj? Or the Ravers? Or Sandgorgons? Or Foul? Or the Worm at the World's End? Why does no-one think of this? And why is there a time limit on stopping the Worm when Linden and Covenant can time travel? It just doesn't make sense, not when compared to the excellent conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson, for instance. There, everything falls into place with an engineered precision. In The Last Dark it looks like Donaldson is desperately scrabbling around to pull thinks together after letting them fall too far apart in an effort to make your situation seem hopeless. And while we are on the subject, Memories of Light was a far better epic finale too."

Covenant's mien was troubled. He fingered his ring, which probably did something argent and theurgic again. "Ok, I see that there are flaws. But don't you think that you should cut me some slack? This is the final book, ever. Foul is forever defeated, the Land is safe for eternity and Linden is finally happy. That is worth a 4 star review, is it not?"

The Creator's wrath swelled. "Hellfire! But it isn't the end, is it? As soon as Donaldson runs out of cash, it will be so easy for him to resurrect Foul and we'll have to go through it all over again, won't we? Foul was comprehensively defeated at the end of White Gold wielder and you ascended into the Arch of Time, but you managed to bugger that up, didn't you? And his defeat this time is even less convincing. This is why I'm so depressed."

Saying that, the Creator vanished in a cloud of Despair, only to appear in the epilogue of the 9th and final volume of: The Really Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, No I Really Mean It, Honest, This Is It Now, My Pension Fund Is Big Enough, Seriously, No Going Back, Kings.

Covenant sighed, and decided to wander off to the One Tree again to cheer himself up.

Meanwhile Lord Foul/Steven Donaldson (who had always been aspects of one another) joined together and laughed, all the way to the bank.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished at last, 5 Feb 2014
1980 to 2014 I like and enjoy a long story but I am glad it's over as I have been reading this story for over half of my life, at least if you start reading it now you won't have to wait years between books. not an ease writing style to read so probably not for the younger reader and you will need a thesaurus/dictionary as he uses some obscure language, but if you can get through it you will increase your vocabulary. you would have to be committed to read all ten books back to back, rare moments of joy amongst long chapters of misery

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a rehash of the earlier chronicles, 6 May 2014
I loved the origanal 6 books and have reread them several times. But the last dark is just a rehash following the same story lines as the earler novels. One of the worst points is that the characters stayed as they were and never grew or changed, while reading The Last Dark I knew what was coming on the next page and the action scenes were a little tired and lacked the impact of the earlier books and Donaldsons knack of repeating what happend in his narratives is very annoying to the constant reader. I think it should of been left after 6 books and maybe he needed more money or to beat the amount of novels in a series ie Stephen Kings Tower series.
But read it and make your own mind up Im just glad I have a kindle and did not have to lug an oversized book around on my holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I'm reading it twice., 20 Oct 2013
For me it's been a 30 year journey which has at last come to an end, and this final book has certainly delivered the goods. I regularly re-read the earlier Chronicles and am now on my second read of The Last Dark. These are not books that can be read once and left on the shelf. The Last Dark satisfactorily answers all the questions posed in the nine earlier chronicles in an excellent and thrilling way. There is real edge of the seat stuff here, and parts that make you reach for the tissues. A very fitting culmination of a long journey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Save or Damn?, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Last Dark (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Hardcover)
I used to love the First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, but I am afraid the Last Chronicles really did not work for me. Disjointed, uninspiring jaunts into the past history of the Land, and flat or unsympathetic characters - mainly Linden Avery and her eternal angst, but the supporting characters never came to life either.

The Last Dark is an improvement on the previous 3 books, and things do actually seem to happen in this one. Unfortunately it has to deal with the situation set up by the previous 3 books. I don't think Linden Avery was quite as irritating as she has been before, but unfortunately it seems Jeremiah Avery is there to take up the slack. The end seemed a bit pat, and I wasn't convinced by the final resolution.

It's a real shame, there are some elements that could have been great if given a proper chance to develop - the Haruchai turning into the Masters, Roger Covenant as an antagonist, and the Land itself was sketched in, with no sense of place or culture.
Instead the threat for the Worm at World End's never felt particularly real, despite being told many times that this was The End. And all the Sandgorgons in the world seemed insubstantial compared to Nom from the Second Chronicles. Even Lord Foul only seemed to telephone in his lines.

Overall I wish he'd left it at the Second Chronicles. Just as the Star Wars prequels tainted the Original trilogy for me, the Last Chronicles has knifed my good memories of the First and Second Chronicles. I do wonder if I went back and read the first 2 Chronicles whether I would still like them - they shared the constant agonizing and tortured prose of the Last Chronicles, but I remember the story being strong enough to forgive them.

Save or damn? Reluctantly I'm going to have to damn

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting end to a 20 year journey with Thomas Covenant, 11 Aug 2014
I started reading the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant when I was in post-primary school, around age 15. It was on foot of a recommendation from a classmate after he learned that I was a fan of the Earthsea trilogy by Ursula le Guin. It's funny how a chance comment from someone else can have such an impact on your life. 20 years later, I feel a little pang of sorrow at the fact that Thomas Covenant's exertions on behalf of the Land have come to a definitive conclusion. What distinguishes Donaldson's writings for me from the likes of Tolkien is its depth - depth of character, depth of emotion. My wife says that the hallmark of good creative writing, be it for TV or the book, is that you care about the characters - you care about how they feel and what happens to them. This applies for me to all the characters in all of the Covenant chronicles - the Giants, the Haruchai... Each and every person, even Lord Foul, is shown to be an entity, an individual, struggling to make sense of the reality that they perceive, to understand and perhaps shape their own identity in the face of seemingly overwhelming and relentless challenges. It is a true hallmark of a great work of fiction that it resonates with you as a person in this "real world" and with your own exertions, your own living, and those around you. This resonance echoes back over 20 years for me, and I am sure that it will resonate for some time to come. Thank you, Stephen Donaldson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 18 Jan 2014
The best book I have read in a long time.
I started these books at high school over 20years ago.

Stephen Donaldson is such a great writer.
Many thanks to Him..

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end to the Thomas Covenant Chronicles, 22 Oct 2013
I'm not going to review the actual book as I don't want to risk spoilers. Instead, I'm saying as a massive fan of the Thomas Covenant books - they would be my desert island books - I found this tenth & final book to be a fitting capstone completing the "story arch" built upon the 9 previous brick-like books.
If you have enjoyed the earlier books, then 'The Last Dark' will not disappoint. All the ingredients that make me love the Thomas Covenant books are in this final instalment (including having to reach for the dictionary to look up the meaning of archaic words I never seen before!) The story engaged my mind & emotions and real tears did flow down my face a couple of times.
Personally I liked this book the best out of the four 'Last Chronicles' (i.e. Books 7-10).

5.0 out of 5 stars Magisterial ending to the best Fantasy series ever, 24 Oct 2013
William Brandon (London) - See all my reviews
Nobody will read The Last Dark unless they've already read the previous three volumes of the Last Chronicles; or indeed any of those if they haven't already read the First and Second ones. So as I am speaking to fellow committed travellers there are only three questions -
1. Is the Last Dark any good?
2. Is it a fitting end to the Last Chronicles?; and
3. Do the Last Chronicles add anything to the first two?

On (1) - absolutely. Clearly Last Dark doesn't stand alone, but I would say it's the best single volume of any multi volume fantasy ever!!! The writing is very strong and remarkably free (almost) of Donaldson's prolixity that so nearly ruined Against All Things Ending. The storytelling is clever and quick - incredibly so, we get more development in the first chapter than in 800 pages of AATE. The pace is relentless and the conclusions unexpected and exhilarating. It's undoubtedly the best book in the Last Chronicles and a fitting end to them: events that have been building up for hundreds of pages come to excellent conclusions and the time spent on characterisation is well used. We really do care about all of these characters - and what happens to them is rarely as predictable as we might have thought. For real fans it is (mostly) a joy spending time with these characters and in the Land, and it is undoubtedly clever how Donaldson introduces new characters, re-introduces old, and then manages to give them all proper and sensitive resolutions.

On (3) I'm very clear that the First and Second Chronicles are superb and there is a real issue for me about whether we needed a further four books. I re-read all nine previous volumes again before Last Dark came out - and that certainly added something to my enjoyment. Fans are not going to argue about the luxury of spending more time in the Land. But for me the last few sentences of White Gold Wielder remain the most affecting end of any of the books. But the Last Chronicles are great - longer, pretty densely written at times and more self indulgent, with very little in the way of humour (until Last Dark surprisingly).

If you start reading Thomas Covenant you could finish at the end of the Second Chronicles and your enjoyment will be completely unaffected by not reading further. It's an entirely satisfying place to end. But if you do get into the Last Chronicles, you will discover an even deeper and more fantastic story than you thought you were reading - and the emotional commitment is well rewarded. I expected Donaldson to deliver in The Last Dark. And he does so in spades.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last, 19 Oct 2013
Mrs (glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Dark (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Hardcover)
Couldn't wait for the last book in the series. I have been reading these books at least once every 2 to 3 years, just to immerse myself in the wonders of the land and its peoples but mostly by the changes that are wrought in Thomas Covenant. The story telling of Stephen Donaldson carries you along to a place and characters that are fully believable.
The Last Dark delivers.

The Last Dark (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Last Dark (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Stephen Donaldson (Hardcover - 17 Oct 2013)
17.40