4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but . . .
I enjoyed this book immensely but it's not as good as "Barry Trotter and The Shameless Parody" which I found far funnier. Maybe it's because I knew more what to expect. One word of warning: Do not read this book without having read at least one of the Harry Potter books otherwise you won't understand a lot of the jokes.
Published on 18 Sep 2003 by dwein22

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!
Read the first few pages, definitely not for me! I didn't find it funny or absorbing, a total waste of effort.
Published 8 months ago by Waltzer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but . . ., 18 Sep 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read the first read this..., 6 Sep 2003
I bought this book with high expectations because I loved the first book and I wasn't disappointed. The book is set 11 years after the first book and Barry now has a wife , Ermine Cringer (Who would of thought it?, and 2 children Nigel, 11 and Fiona, 3.
Whilst Fi has the magic tough Nigel is practically a Muddle but Barry being the big-head he is bungs Nigel on the Hogwash Depress and off the Hogwash School of Wizardry and Witchcrap and the chaos begins. Dorco is now the Headmister but dies (yet again) after a tragic accident and Barry and Ermine are appointed as Headmister and Headmistress much to the dismay of Snipe and Mumblemumble (the new Dork arts and craft professor).
I won't tell you anymore (buy the book) but they are LOTR references and much more of Immortal the mouse, Timothy. The writing is witty and pokes fun at whatever was left from the first book (except for OotP because it was wrote before its release)
Altogether a good book and an enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars funny, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Barry Trotter And The Unnecessary Sequel (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
a bit silly but silly enough to laugh at bought these in my early adulthood and still read them once in a while

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 17 Dec 2013
Waltzer (South Wales) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Good parody, have bought the rest of the books!, 31 Dec 2012
I found this in a charity shop for a couple of quid and decided it would be worth a try. It laid gathering dust on a bookshelf until a few nights ago.
I read a few pages as I was bored, then suddenly realised that I just HAD to read on! One may think that mocking a book as large as Harry Potter would be disastrous at its best, but Michael succeeds with such ease. Extended jokes are plentiful and almost never end in an anti-climax. A plot is shown throughout despite the blatant temptation for the author to stray off topic, with a few various things occurring around it. It is very funny and additionally very absorbing and is certainly worth a read.
Credit to J.K Rowling for allowing these types of parodies to be published though.

5.0 out of 5 stars http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752867598/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title, 12 Aug 2010
Brilliant story, very clever use of spoofing on the part of the Author. His parodies are such that even though they rip the hell out of the real stories, they never seem dull.

Infact these parodies are possibly as far from the original as possible while keeping the ideas and imagery similar but in new ways without seeming cack.

Fantastically read by voice actor Chrisopher Cazenove (Zulu Dawn, Knight's Tale) who is sadly no longer with us.
His protrayals of the parodied characters are fresh, innovative and down right hilarious as they are supposed to be.

Well done to Mike Gerber, keep it up and write some more!

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Average, 31 Jan 2004
A. J. Garner (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
A pretty disappointing affair considering the comical scope the writer had and he definitely didn’t use it to the best of his ability. The story line is weak throughout and in honesty short on laughs, while highlighting a writer who continually tries to be too clever. There is the odd moment that’s fairly comical but I thinks it’s a case of someone making a lot of money on the back of J.K. Rowling.

5.0 out of 5 stars I almost died., 10 May 2004
By A Customer
While this book does not have as many humorous Harry Potter jibes as the original, it actually has something that might bravely be referred to as a plot. And a better plot than Order of the Weetabix, I might add! The one complaint I have is that Serious Blech doesn't feature in this one.
I just hope MG writes a third one; there's plenty of material in Order of the Weetabix for him to work on.
All in all, a hugely humorous read, heartily recommended to anyone who isn't a raving Potterian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barry Trotter and The Unnecessary Sequel, 11 Sep 2003
Mr. A. I. Gardiner "alasdair_gardiner" (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I read both versions of Barry Trotter and The Shameless Parody- the British version and the American version- titled Barry Trotter and The Unauthorized Parody, because I am a Harry Potter fan, and I was curious to see what this parody would be like. Hilarious! I couldn't wait for the sequel, and once again I was mildly surprised- Barry Trotter and The Unnecessary Sequel made me laugh.
I hope that there will be more Barry Trotter books in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars An unnecessary sequel, 23 Feb 2004
By A Customer
Being a fan of Harry Potter, I wondered how this book would compare. Not having seen/heard of/read the first book (the shameless parody), I was unsure what to expect. There were some moderately amusing parts to the book but much of the language used seemed rather "americanised". I was not expecting the number of expletives and sexual references. The writing style was a little too distant from the Potter books to really convince me that it was trying to parody Rowling's work. A disappointing purchase.

Barry Trotter And The Unnecessary Sequel (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Barry Trotter And The Unnecessary Sequel (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Michael Gerber (Paperback - 10 Jun 2004)
5.48
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available