5.0 out of 5 stars Truth and fiction
The Glamour is a wonderful story of a man who, caught by the blast from a car bomb, is trying to recover his memory, with the best hope apparently a woman who claims to have been his lover.

Published on 18 Oct. 2006 by S. Bentley

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?
SPOILERS FOLLOW

I have to admit this is a superbly written book and it had me gripped until the very last page but, and I'm going to stick my neck out here as I know this guy is revered by a good many people, what a cop out of an ending! I was mortified and actually really angry when I read it. I totally get the ambiguous nature of what's going and I love that...
Published on 23 Jan. 2007 by smigulon

5.0 out of 5 stars Truth and fiction, 18 Oct. 2006
S. Bentley "stuarthoratiobentley" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)

But this being a Christopher Priest book more is going on than that. Priest uses his trick of changing the perspective on the story, without suggesting that any particular point of view is more valid than another, leaving you guessing as to what is going on.

I always think of Priest as being the British Philip K. Dick, a man who loves writing about shifting realities. The difference being that whereas Dick seemed compelled to write and would often write hurriedly, Priest is a more considered writer, his prose is more elegant. Similarly Priest is more concerned with the middle classes than Dick's blue collar heroes. And in this book, Priest is doing what Dick would have done more of, had his publishers been more daring, he writes a book that seems like science fiction but isn't. Not really. It's more about relationships and stories and glamour. The science fiction or fantasy element is very slight and if you look at the story in a certain way, does not necessarily exist.

The book is beautifully ambiguous and the fractured nature of this review just testifies to the fact that no review can do it justice. You just have to read it. And then all of Priest's other books. He's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maddening and superb, 7 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Glamour (Paperback)
I have read and reread this book, and it still drives me up the wall! No other book has ever had such an effect on me or on the other people I gave the book to. This edition (1996) is actually a rewritten version of the original.The author had received such a large amount of mail from similarly maddened readers, that he decided to change a couple of details. Whether he created a better book or not is debateable, but the essential twists and turns of story and narrator remain. To say too much about the story would spoil the surprise of potential readers, but I can say that the inherent mystery will change the way you look at the world. Read, read and read again. Remember, the best books make you think for a long time after you have turned the last page.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Glamour, 15 Oct. 2013
dalek78 (Sheffield, S.Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
The Glamour has to rank among the best books I've ever read - a thought-provoking and fascinating page turner and a harrowing nightmare of alternate realities/personas that will blow your mind. Priest is a master of psychological horror - if you enjoyed his books The Dream Archipelago and The Affirmation, you will absolutely love this. The Glamour reads like one of those vivid dreams that leave you confused and full of questions. Don't let the drab cover art, title or mundane-sounding blurb put you off - this is one hell of a book and a dream-like reading experience you won't forget!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlatives begin to fail...., 20 Dec. 2005
This review is from: The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
Christopher Priest is a superb writer. Using simple direct and unornamented prose he weaves a world where nothing is quite what it seems but where the impact of what he writes is stupendous.

To reveal the storyline in a review like this would be grossly unfair but this is probably one of the two best books I have read this year -- and I read lots.

The writing is crystal clear and unaffected. The story is superbly constructed with the author fully in command of the twists of the plot. Priest's writing is absolutely unimprovable. Why isn't this man at the top of the best-seller lists?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Trip inside ourselves!, 27 July 2013
This review is from: The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
I loved this book for it's detailed storytelling by Christopher Priest but also the themes of memory and how each person understands and remembers the world around them differently. There are some genuine moments of creepy horror, which I wont give away to anyone reading this review whose not read the book yet.

I'm looking forward to reading the next Christopher Priest book in my collection!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational author, 16 Jan. 2015
Have recently read this for the fourth time. It still remains my all time favourite book. There are several parts I have had to read over and over again - especially the ending.
An inspirational author.

4.0 out of 5 stars haunting novel of memory and metaphysics, 23 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
I came to this book after a recommendation in the Bloomsbury reading guide '100 must-read science fiction novels' (Andrews and Rennison). Although it's published in the Gollancz SF imprint, the first thing to say is that the novel is a long way from what is usually understood as SF. There are elements of psychology and even neuroscience in Priest's treatment of memory and perception, but this is primarily a novel of metaphysics, addressing the nature of reality and identity.

It's a spellbinding read, beautifully written in a clear, unornamented style. Despite several shifts in narrative viewpoint, the two central characters are cleverly drawn by increments, and it's easy to get caught up in their plight. It's a measure of the author's skill that fantastical distortions of reality appear perfectly reasonable within the context of the plot.

It's impossible to summarise the plot without giving the whole thing away, and the basic premise has been set out in the other reviews here anyway. The only problem I had with plot (and the book) is what happens in the last few pages. It all ends with a sudden lurch, the details of which I'll not go into, which I felt undermined a lot of the suspense that had built up until that point. The ending forces a re-evaluation of the whole book, no bad thing in itself, but I couldn't help but feel a bit cheated. Having said that, I suspect the book will stay in my mind long after it's finished, and it wouldn't surprise me if the ending starts to make more sense on reflection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific second half!, 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
Despite never quite fully understanding any of the six or so novels that I have read by Christopher Priest over the years, I have always enjoyed reading his subtle brand of science-fiction. I guess sometimes his plots border on conventional writing (for instance, "The Affirmation" may be a "straight" novel dealing with schizophrenia) but mostly there is a hint of what I would call science-fiction in there.

"The Glamour" is no exception, it sits definitely in the science-fiction camp and, like other books of his, I didn't understand it fully, but thoroughly enjoyed it, eventually. Eventually because the first half of the book lacked that little bit of sparkle that you normally associate with Priest's writing and which gives the enjoyment, even in the absence of full understanding. However, having read to the end, the different writing style adopted may well have had something to do with the plot itself, which undergoes gorgeous, sly little twist at the very end that I wasn't expecting.

The second half of the book is gripping and the ending, as I have said, took me by surprise. The latter half of the book is so good that it would be churlish to limit the score to 4-stars, although I can understand why some other reviewers may have scored less.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 12 Jan. 2014
I first came across Christopher Priest just recently, with his novel The Prestige. The author of The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern, spoke about it in an online interview, as an inspiration for her work. I did enjoy The Prestige & thought I understood what was happening. However, almost all of CP's other books I have read, have left me feeling not very clever at all.

I do know what is going on for most of the book, then crash, bang, something happens & I am lost.

I normally like my world ordered & tidy, however through ill health, I have had to realise that life is not always as we would like. Therefore, I find myself more accepting of ambiguities (sometimes)& do not wear my limited stores of energy out by worrying over something I cannot solve.

This story is so good up until the last few pages. But, you may be smarter than I!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Memory loss = invisibility"., 22 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
In Priest's capabable hands the idea that invisibility could simply be a failing of memory or a failure to notice someone becomes scarily convincing. This is a compelling novel of projected personalities and how we create fictions in our memories all the time. It had me wondering about those times when someone just seems to look straight through you or when someone telling a story just leaves out something significant that you know you did. However, after spending so much time and effort convincing us that this "invisibility" is real, the ending seems to rather spoil things by taking the narrative in a totally different direction. It's certainly left open to interpretation but only one interpretation makes sense to me and its a bit of a dull one unfortunately. I'm still giving it 5 stars because apart from the last few pages it's brilliantly disconcerting.

The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Glamour (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Christopher Priest (Paperback - 9 Jun. 2005)