5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Read
Published on 30 Nov. 2002 by knightmare365

2.0 out of 5 stars Rewind
Replay follows the story of Jeff Winston as his life becomes caught in a constant Groundhog Day type of loop. However, instead of looping a single day of his life, Jeff goes through cycles that last twenty-five years. He starts at the age of eighteen, dies at the age of forty-three, and this keeps happening, over and over. But he always retains his memories from the...
Published 13 months ago by George Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Read, 30 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Replay (Hardcover)
If you enjoy the idea of reliving your life over & over again, this is the book for you. What should have been a quite straight-forward plot, twists and turns making it almost impossible to even guess what will happen next. The characters are well-defined and believable. I found myself agreeing with what the main character did, knowing that I would have done exactly the same thing. Once you start reading this book, you will find it difficult to put down. My opinion?. Buy this book as soon as possible. It really is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 9 Sept. 2006
D. Martin "DpMDpMDpM" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I ordered this book from Amazon on the off-chance - I had no background to the author or the book. When I started reading it, I was engrossed. I liked the main character - I could relate to him and I was interested in what he was doing and how he was going about things.

I carried on reading throughout the night - finally finishing at about 03:30 and then I got up and wrote my girlfriend an email - telling her that she had to read the book.

Since then I have forced her to read it and she liked it, loaned it to a friend who is currently going through it and have bought yet another copy for a friend's birthday.

This book really makes you think and put yourself in the position that the main character finds himself in - I would have done many similar things I think... the loneliness that he has because of his experiences... as only he knows what is going on and no-one else can understand really gets you. Then, when he meets a soul-mate... and you think it's all going to be OK - FOR EVER - you start to realise, as they do, that there's some form of time play going on and each time they meet in their Replays, they will be farther and farther apart in their lives... the stress this creates in immense and the unfairness of it all is so annoying to the reader... as you care about what happens to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, I could read it over and over again., 11 Aug. 2005
D. M. York (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
There are many questions people ask themselves about their own lives, probably the most terrible questions we ask ourselves relate to things that we cannot change - what would you do differently if you had the chance of living again. Would you turn left or right? Just how different might your life be if you could go back with the knowledge you now possess?

This book looks at that ultimate question - what if you could go back and do it all over again? Be born into a young body at a point in your life where nearly anything is possible. That is the story of Replay, as the middle-aged Jeff, stuck in a dead-end job and whose marriage is breaking apart, dies of a heart-attack and awakes as his 18 year old self. The book deals superbly with his initial confusion and then the slow realisation that it is a second chance, too that his knowledge of the future can bring him great wealth and even power.

The book I have loved because it is so clearly honest even when showing the darker side to foresight, it looks at what most people would want to do: make money, travel around, not have to work, turn dreams into reality. Jeff is believable as he does not become a superhero nor does he want to run for President, he is just a normal person doing what a normal person would do. That said, the book pointedly shows through Jeff as the protagonist that it is not a mere knowledge of future events that can fulfil him in ways he previously didn't imagine, it is merely to desire to want to reach for something more. Replay serves as a moral tale as through Jeff you learn that perhaps living your life again and again would not be as easy nor as welcome as you would want. Ultimately the story has a profound ending with a statement that has stuck with me, years after having first read it and having since re-read it several times.

I would have to say that this is the best book I have ever read, and though it might be an ironic comment this is the book I would choose to take to a desert island and read over and over again. It is touching, original, sad, funny but most importantly of all you believe it. I honestly cannot recommend the book enough, I sincerely hope you try it and love it as much as I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time - The Ultimate Frontier, 21 Oct. 2007
Mr. John Frank Herbert (Greenwich, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
Apparently this book won the World Fantasy Award, and now that I've read it, I can see why.

Just imagine it: dying at 43, only to re-awaken at 18, back wherever you were at that time. The only difference is that your memory of that previous life stays with you.
And so Jeff Winston does what we all would do: huge bets on events where you knew the outcome; investing in stocks and shares that multiply your finances through the roof.
And, of course, he lives a different life, but is tempted to check up on his wife from the original one.

Then again at 43 he dies - back to 18 - and so on and so on.
But you know, it's a fascinating scenario, and despite the unreal concept, it's totally believable through Ken Grimwood's clever book.

The romantic parts are engrossing too, cutting through several lifetimes.

A time-travel book of sorts, I must strongly recommend this book as a must for followers of that genre. Truth is, I was somewhat down in the mouth when the experience finished. Even more galling, the author was working on the sequel when he died in 2003.

Additionally, this book highlights the folly of gearing up your life to accumulating wealth, and to make the most of your life, incorporating more substantial matters.
Enjoy your life, especially its unpredictability, and get this book to re-inforce the sentiment.

5.0 out of 5 stars My idea of a great time travel story, 22 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I was sorting through a stack of old magazines and I only flicked through a few. An issue of SFX dated about 1996 had a letter asking for information about a Groundhog Day style film called 12:01 (a very good but flawed TV movie). In the response this book was recommended.

I had to read it as I have a fascination with storylines about people who have information they shouldn't have, and how they exploit other people with this amazing knowledge. I like stories of people travelling back hundreds of years and meeting famous historical figures, but my real fascination is with people reliving their own time, either in their own body like this book or as another body inserted into the timeline like in Back To The Future.

The book was very good. I think it veered a bit into less interesting and more depressing directions towards the end (trying to find others replaying and his romantic relationship with X was of no great interest by about the third replay), but other than that I loved the book. If you have any interest in stories about people reliving parts of their life then this is a must read.

My brother read the book after me. He said that he didn't like the first life replay as it was just generic making money stuff (he's wrong, I loved all that stuff). After that he said it picked up and was really good although he wasn't too impressed with the ending.

I also recommend a TV series called Tru Calling about a woman who relives the last 24 hours in order to save lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of a classic, 28 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
The 'what would you do if you could live your life again?' scenario has been well explored, but this is a good take on it. (The recent film 'butterfly effect' is a recent example of this genre).
The central two characters get the chance to relive their lives not once but many times, but each time their 'life-span', and the point in their lives where they re-emerge after death is shorter. This is an exploration of how things could have been different for them, their friends and family, and the world in general. It is the story of their discovery of what is happening to them, but also what it allows them to discover about themselves. With the history of (mainly) the US since the 1960's to play with there is plenty of material.
One episode, where an increasingly desperate US attempts to intervene in world affairs based on their 'knowledge' of future events, only to see it spiral our of control as events diverge from previous history with terrorism and increasing attacks on the US has some relevance to recent events.
This is a book I have read several times now. Although at times it is in danger of becoming bogged down in the scenario he has created, the next 'replay' is never that far away, so it keeps you hooked to the end.
Some of the questions it poses are almost too big for the book. Can a relationship last more than one lifetime? What are the things that really matter in life? Can we really make a difference to other people's lives?
I heartily recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars splendid literature: beautifully written and a great story, 3 July 2010
D. R. Cantrell (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I suppose it's very naughty of me to immediately think of Groundhog Day when reading this story of a man repeating part of his life over and over again. Naughty because Groundhog Day was really not very good. "Replay" has so much more depth, the characters are given enough time to experience and grow and change. It's marketed (wrongly in my opinion) as fantasy, and some reviewers instead think (also wrongly) that it's science fiction. I suppose that they think that because the main characters' repeating lives are beyond the realms of modern experience and aren't explained, but the mechanism that lets them repeat their lives is utterly unimportant. Other writers, over a period of hundreds of years dating back to the early mediaeval period have used dreams for similar purposes: to impart knowledge and wisdom to their characters so that at the end of the dream they are changed and improved. We don't call The Dream Of The Rood science fiction, or Pearl fantasy (it's a fantasy, of course, as are all fictions, but it does not fit in the modern genre of that name), so why attempt to shoe-horn "Replay" into one of those litle boxes?

This is that rare beast - both splendid literature, beautifully written and constructed; and a great story, accessible and entertaining. You should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER, 15 Sept. 2012
Charles P. Brown "Chaspierre" (Harrogate, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
Having recently read and greatly enjoyed Steven King's 11.22.63 I was moved to try an author, previously unknown to me, Jack Finney, commended by Mr. King. As I have been a scifi reader for more years than I am prepared to admit, with a special interest in time travel, I do not know how I came to miss Jack Finney - do try Time and Again if you have not already read it.
Which leads me to Ken Grimwood who writes in a similar genre and with equally pleasing results, and whom I came across in a roundabout way after discovering Jack Finney.

By now you already will have a fair idea of the Replay plot, what you want to know is should you read it or is it a pup. My answer would be definitely read it, and I have made sure that the appropriate members of my family have done so, with great enjoyment I am pleased to say. (And this goes for Jack Finney's Time and Again as well)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Novel, 15 May 2008
This review is from: Replay (Paperback)
Out of so many science fiction books, my favorite theme is time-travel stories or related thereof. There can be similar plots from many stories, but Grimwood's "Replay" is different in such respect because one would have no idea what the outcome to be. The plot of "Replay" is unique and fascinating.

This is a story about a man who died in 1988 of a heart attack, then suddenly finds himself back in time as a college student in 1963 with all of the memories of his future intact. There lies a paradox: will he change the future or re-experience the same life as he lived before? The main character, Jeff, chose the former. He tried to changed things for the "better," in his view, but things do not always work out as he expected. He would gain some things, but he would lose others. Each time he died, he would experience his life over and over, with several attempts to change things. But, as one read on, he is not the only one who is experiencing the replays.

I personally enjoyed reading this book, and I could not put it down as I felt enthralled by its twisting and intriguing plot and the fascinating details. My fascination with time travel may have to do with my enjoyment of this novel, but it is a well worth reading in general.

While the novel is fascinating and won an award in 1988, it actually holds a moral lesson for the readers: will you set your life on a different direction if you knew your own future?

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Replay' Ken Grimwood, 12 Oct. 2009
M. Lee (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
Imagine that you are forty-three years old and could live your life again from age eighteen but with the knowledge of all that has happened in the intervening years. What would you do?
Replay tells the story of just such a person but it doesnt happen as you might expect.
I found it to be one of those books that you just can't put down.
Well worth reading.

Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS) by Ken Grimwood (Paperback - 12 May 2005)