5.0 out of 5 stars If It Aint Broke, Don't Fix It
Published on 16 Mar. 2006 by A. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Just couldn't get into it...
Published on 2 Aug. 2008 by A reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Just couldn't get into it..., 2 Aug. 2008
A reader (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witches of Chiswick (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
I loved the Brentford trilogy (the first three at least) and could read them again and again, but for some reason I just couldn't get into the Witches of Chiswick. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for the book, but much of the humour seemed a bit too obvious and forced. I'm currently half way through the book, and undecided as to whether I'll plod on with the rest of it or read something else instead. This is probably a stupid thing to say about a Rankin book, but I found it almost too silly...

5.0 out of 5 stars If It Aint Broke, Don't Fix It, 16 Mar. 2006
A. Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witches of Chiswick (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
Fans of Rankin won't be disappointed, The Witches Of Chiswick offers plenty of the running gags and awful jokes for which the author is so famous. Hard-Core Rankin fans may have been worried by an apparent dip in form in the run up to this novel, but rest assured nobody will come away from this feeling hard done by. The plot twists and turns at such a rate as to keep the reader on their toes and more importantly, the jokes are amongst his best. Hugo Rune makes a welcome return as do Barry the sprout and Neville the now legendary part-time barman. It goes without saying then, that Omally and Pooley also get a shout. Be sure not to miss this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars a return to form., 22 Oct. 2003
Shelley Wood "shelleybirduk" (Blackpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
i am an avid robert rankin fan. i own all his books and eagerly await every new book. however recently, well lets just say i have had a crisis of faith. the two books previous to this one (fandom of the operator and hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse) were a departure from mr rankins usually acerbic wit and quite frankly bizarre sense of houmour! in the witches.. we see a welcome return to form. the books basic premise is history as we know it is not what really happened, war of the world really happened and HG wells wrote all those stories from personal experience. young will starling the only thin person in a fat persons world stumbles upon this one day and begins to unravel the conspiray without falling foul of the dreaded witches. the novel is written in rankins fantastic mind bogglingly confusing but very very funny way and gives brief nods to characters and locations from previous novels. some of the situations are hilarious such as the police force having a "token woman" and multiple will starlings all being killed by a terminator from the past. if your new to rankin this is a good place to start it is one of his best novels and dosent require any knowledge of previous novels to be read and enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, he's back., 4 Sept. 2003
I thought this was a more together book from Rankin. Some of his more recent efforts have run a bit out of steam towards their ends, but this was more coherent throughout. Well, I say coherent. The plot involves various characters travelling backwards and forwards through time and doubtless has a few holes in it, but glossing over that, it does build to something approaching a climax, rather than petering out halfway through as some of his other more recent books have done.
It would be intriguing to know what first time readers of Rankin make of this, given his tendency to drop in characters and themes from previous books - Hugo Rune, Barry the Holy Guardian Sprout, the lady with the straw hat, the Flying Swan, etc. Whether that would add too much to the confusion I'm not sure. Doubtless Rankin fans will love it. I thought it a bit of a return to form. Let's hope he keeps it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 4 April 2009
C. Phipps "caggie" (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witches of Chiswick (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
I read this book about 3 years ago when I borrowed it from the library. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the book and author and searched high and low looking for it. I finally found it by joining several forums and one kind person recognised the plot and I found it again! Not the sort of book I normally read but it was very entertaining - made me laugh out loud a few times! Quite silly but nonetheless enthralling!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master returns., 17 Sept. 2003
After the last book, I'd decided to give up Rankin. I'm glad I changed my mind. This is his best book, possibly ever, certainly since the first trilogies. It's also his most utterly ludicrous.
I don't know any other author who could get away with the casting, the dreadful puns, the awful lies but Robert Rankin does, and you are glad of it. Professor Slocombe's real identity (as if it were ever in doubt) is also finally confirmed for the swift of eye. Which is worth the price of admission by itself.
Buy it, or get it from the library on your way to the bookies, it will make you laugh. Guaranteed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of the king (or at least Barry), 26 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
Although I am an avid reader, I find few authors as compelling or funny as Robert Rankin. I have managed to read about 95% of his books. Yet I must agree with some of the other reviewers that I had been a bit disappointed with some of his latest books. (Although, Chocolate Bunnies was quite good.) I am about 3/4s through Witches and I am loving it. I would be surprised if many first-time Rankin readers would get all the characters or jokes, but it is a scorcher. But I think he has hit his stride again. I would rank it among the books in the Apocalypse and Brentford series.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Witches of Chiswick (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
Opinions will always be opinions. Some people will agree and others will disagree. Having said that, I consider this book somewhat average. Just good enough to stay in my library but not good enough to be memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars The lad himself, 22 Jan. 2004
Weird, witty, wonderful! And that's just the opinion of the man on the Clapham Omnibus. Very funny, crammed full of the usual running gags and people talking a load of old toot. A true return to form and probably his finest effort to date. Innovative narrative and plot whips along at merry old pace. I'm loving it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Beloved loved it., 4 July 2013
Tamar Weatherly "T" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witches of Chiswick (Audio CD)
Another outrageous plot inhabited with loveable grotesqueness. Listen to it over and over without any threat of tedium. Can Robert Rankin's stories get any sillier? Hope so!

The Witches of Chiswick (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Witches of Chiswick (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Robert Rankin (Paperback - 8 July 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01