5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, 5 out of 5 (there is no 6)
Do we really need to know what The Unlucky Gamble was? The unlikely nature of the nation's state probably made it impossible to frame a series of events that could have led there. But a premise is just that, a premise.
Published on 6 Aug 2005 by Simon Hudson

3.0 out of 5 stars A good idea
Published on 10 Jan 2012 by Jim

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, 5 out of 5 (there is no 6), 6 Aug 2005
Alright, yes, it did irk me. Every time the UG was mentioned I wanted to know what had happened. When I closed the back cover, though, I didn't feel disappointed. I felt furious. Furious at Fen, incandescent at Moira (I seethe even now, hands trembling over the keyboard) and furious myself for expecting Hollywood.
These were not merely believable characters. These were people. These were people that, after 200,000 words or so I wanted to meet, to hug, to shake, to deck.
There is a wonderful sense of Englishness in there, as well. Something we've lost under decades of shell suits, GTIs, Spice Girls and Oasis, fatuous "cool Britannia" glitter. Something that perhaps we can rediscover even in the competing glare of politico-patriotism and it's vicious, twisted little sibling, nationalism.
If you are English, married and liberal, you will find United Kingdom a deeply moving read. Fen is my Candide.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good idea, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Untied Kingdom. (Paperback)
I'll start by saying I did enjoy the book. Up to a point. However I don't think it was as good as some here have said. For me it was too much a series of set piece action sequences linked together slightly clumsily. The author did a reasonable job of setting scenes and giving the reader an insight into the mess the country had got to and then ruined this with big clunky show piece events which then took over.

However if you enjoyed this I'd recommend Last Light and After Light by Alex Scarrow, which although still not perfect deal with a similar subject albeit in a less ambiguous way.

4.0 out of 5 stars the nature of power, 17 Feb 2007
After an 'Unlucky Gamble' which we never fully understand, The UK governement is in exile somewhere in the Carribean while the International community (USA?) are set on random bombings and the odd leaflet drop on to British soil. There is no more infrastructure, there is no electricity, no pumped water, no luxury goods, no television and yet in a little corner of south England, a village tries to stoicly carry on.

This is story of what happens after saftey disappears, when a nation state colapses, how our decisons and roles change and how nature and human nature battle it out. The story is full of great characters, myths and power struggles. It's slightly oddly written in places and you feel it could have done with a final edit, but it does make you think and in a funny way- the rough edges make it all more apt in this dystopia.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's ok - but come on! 5 out of 5 ....?!, 4 Feb 2005
This review is from: Untied Kingdom (Gollancz S.F.) (Paperback)
The basic premise of this book is interesting, the characters are ok and the idea seems good. But when you close the final cover you are left feeling somewhat dissapointed. The author could really have done more with such a current and threatening theme, particularly due to the climate in which we live today. The story holds your attention to a degree, but as a previous reviewer stated, there are huge gaps in the narrative. There is no indication whatsoever as to why the UK is in living in terror: ostracised from the rest of Europe - which is lazy to say the least! Don't get me wrong, the book was what I might call "a fluff read" before going onto a more weightier tome. If you are a devourer of books you will understand that to give this a rating of five out of five(bearing in mind novels such as "1984", "The Tempest" or "Les Miserables" would rate as such,) is I feel,really down to ignorance, little or no understanding of literature or simply a lower expectation when reading a book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Untied Nation - with some important loose ends, 17 May 2003
Mr. Philip Relph "purchzguru" (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Untied Kingdom (Gollancz S.F.) (Paperback)
I did enjoy this book, its a nice bit of speculative fiction based in near future england. The chareacters are well done and believable. However there are large gaps in the story, I wont say what for fear of spoiling the book. Some of the background is highly implausible. However if you suspend your disbelief and go with the flow, Untied Nation is an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNTOLD PRAISE 4 UNTIED KINGDOM, 28 April 2003
Full of bizarre and intriguing characters 'UNTIED KINGDOM' is the latest ideas driven novel from top UK writer James Lovegrove.
A politicaly ostracized and bombed UK is the landscape for Fen Morris's cross country trip to rescue his wife, and his past.
The street gangs are hateful, the train drivers mad - but as always James Lovegrove spins a compelling and entertaining tale.

ARRAY(0xa80ebd74)

Untied Kingdom (Gollancz S.F.)
Untied Kingdom (Gollancz S.F.) by James Lovegrove (Paperback - 17 April 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01