4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Goodkind book but......
As we have come to expect, a really well written book that has depth and some really good content.
Published on 7 Jan. 2002 by bazzie

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of people won't like it!!
As any Sci-Fi/Fantasy reader is aware, a book is normally made up of several core characters who each have mini adventures within the book all tying up nicely at the end for a big finale. This book is very different.
Published on 4 Dec. 2001 by harv@jsief.fsbusiness.co.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Goodkind book but......, 7 Jan. 2002
And i believe that telling a story from different views is fine, and even focusing on another character for a couple of chapters can be refreshing too... but the whole book? Sorry, not quite (Richard & Khalan were on a dozen or so pages) - is a little long for me. Its not that i did not like the book (far from it) i just expected to read a bit more about the main charcters, i mean they are the focus of the series of books and have kept me reading thus far...
As an avid fan i would buy the book regardless - however if you are feeling a little poor after christmas do not rush out and buy this one - get it at your leisure you are not missing out of anything amazing. Still, better to wait one year and get an ok book than have to wait 2 years! (come on Jordan....)

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot to live up to, 13 Dec. 2001
Hmmmmmmmmm. Now where do I begin. I have read the other six books in The Sword of Truth Series and I'm a loyal fan. It was nice to have a change of main characters but I didn't expect it to take 500 odd pages before we would finally meet good ol' Lord Rahl. Disappointing. Good character Building although slightly monotonous after a while and certainly bringing the Wizards first rule into Play. "People are stupid" (first book in the series Excellent well worth the read).
I can't help but feel a bit dissapointed about this book. Although I think the next one will be a corker for the simple fact that there are so many loose ends to tie.
My advice to you potential buyers is Read the first six books then this one. Don't start with this as it will certainly taint your view of a Future Classic.
Come on Terry We want more of Richard, Kahlan, Cara, Nici, Jagang, Ann, Zedd, Adie, Nathan and berdine.

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of people won't like it!!, 4 Dec. 2001
The vast majority of the book deals with a very misguided character called Jennsen (another one of Darken Rahl's bastards), who basically believes Richard & Kahlan to be EVIL. The story meanders along for about 450 pages following Jennsens quest to be rid of the "evil" duo, only breaking for the occasional chapter about her psycho half brother Oba.
We are all used to the cliffhanger at the end of a chapter, which then moves on to other character sub plots leaving you tearing your hair out and trying to read as fast as possible to see what happens. The problem with only having 1 main character and plot is that you don't get this at all!!
You find yourself wishing that the dozy cow realised that Richard was a good Lord Rahl, and that he will enter the plot. Be warned, Richard and Kahlan don't appear until you're at least 450 pages in (no matter how hard you wish for them)
The book is still worthy of three stars though if only for the ending, which really keeps you stuck to the book. I only wish that after making such rich characters in all the previous books that we can see more of them in the next one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine for anyone who has read the others...an insiders book., 3 Dec. 2001
laurag1581@aol.com (Reading, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
While this books does indeed keep up Goodkind's tradition of the epic fantasy with the added new twist we have come to expect from him, I was strangly dissappointed with this new title. It feels as if half of the story is missing, with the action focussing on characters that are new. This leads to an annoying jarring sensation to the action of the book. We are always expecting Kahlan and Richard to appear, yet strangly they fail to do so until sometime after chapter 50. Our favourite characters fulfill mere passing roles, and I, for one, found this quite dissappointing, especially in view of the blerb on the back of the book cover:
"Richard Rahl and his wife Kahlan, have been reunited after their long separation...Their quest turns to terror when they find themselves the helpless prey of a tireless hunter"
I don't know if it was only me turning too many pages too quickly, but this seems to have somehow failed to materialise in the book. There are, in fact, only enough scenes to count on one hand where Kahlan and Richard appear - something seems to have gone wrong along the road here somewhere.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, but only because I am an avid Goodkind reader and have eagerly awaited the release of this book. However, if I have come to this book first I certainly wouldn't have gone on to find the others. The book is littered with references, mostly unexplaned, to the other books, and if I hadn't reread them recently, I would have had no idea what was really going on.
I have to admit that this book was a dissappointment, especially after the spectacular that was 'Faith of the Fallen'. This book has a disjointed feel to it, that appears only half-written. I can only suggest that Goodkind was forced to rush this to publish in time. I hope so at least, because if this is the future of the 'Sword of Truth' series, then I'm no so sure anymore that I will be going along for the ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars keep the faith!, 14 Jan. 2004
This review is from: The Pillars of Creation (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
I have read some reviews of this book, and it would seem a lot of people were not impressed as this book does not revolve entirely around Richard and Kahlan as previous books. However, I enjoyed this book a lot - it brings a background to the story behind D'Hara and how it evolved and take my word for it - if you want to be immersed in the new book "naked empire' you should read this book - there are a lot of new characters introduced who are in the following books - if you miss this opportunity to read and enjoy a really good book - then you will be lost in the next. This book could be enjoyed as part of the series, or entirely on its own. Keep the faith - read the book - I bet you are as absorbed as you would be with any others in the series and you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 31 Dec. 2001
Why is no doubt a question that all Terry Goodkind fans are asking themselves now. I am a huge fan of the sword of truth series, and have eagerly awaited this book. I now find myself, like most of the other reviewers, disappointed.
This book takes some getting into, as it starts with fresh characters and, after a while, they do take shape; yet one can't help turning pages with increasing speed in the hope of finding some familiar names. The book is by no means bad, yet it feels rushed or chopped, as if great chunks are missing. As I drew towards the last third of the book I found myself wondering how Mr Goodkind could finish it in two hundred pages and, hoping that it was the first part of a two book story within the series. Alas; as perhaps I always knew; it was not. The writer seems to have lost interest in his story or run out of time; like a schoolboy at the end of an exam; and just rammed the ending into the last fifty pages. Characters, whose every footfall had, previously, been described in great detail, suddenly appeared, weeks from their last mentioned suuroundings,at a convenient location for a finale...And here I found the greatest tragedy. Richard has become a pompous prig. I can honestly say that, as he "hooked his thumbs behind his belt" and spouted forth the Wizards Seventh Rule, I cringed.
It pains me to write such harsh words about this book, but I have come to expect such great things from its author, and to think of him as the new Tolkien, that I had to express my disappointment. Please tell me that this book is the result of an overzealous editor and, that we can expext a return to form in book eight.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment to die hard fans, 14 Dec. 2001
Ms. Ruth Messenger (England) - See all my reviews
What happened Terry?!?!?
I'm sitting there, unbearably excited at the chance to catch up with Richard and Kahlan, u know - how are they doing? Have they had a baby yet? what on earth are they going to do about Jagang and the Imperial Order? etc etc, but instead, I get Jennsen - who it has to be said is chronically stupid! The only rest we get from her and her incessant nasty comments about how much she hates Richard and how much she wants to kill him, is Psychopathic Oba. By the time Richard appears (on pg 498!!!) even Oba's rat eating habits have become more fascinating reading than Jennsen, who I was sick to death of!
After the first 6 books, you develop a loyalty to Richard and co. - all you hardcore fans know what I mean! Your heart is in your mouth every time he or Kahlan are in danger, we've all suffered as one or the other has been chased by quads, attacked by gars, heart hounds, shadows, invisible walls, Mord Sith etc. We've seen them impaled, beaten to the point of death, tortured into mindlessness and even beheaded! After all that,is it a bit much to ask to be kept where the story's interesting? I don't think it was fair of Goodkind to make us traipse around with that little tramp enduring insults, death threats and the like from someone clearly not good enough to lick the dirt from his boots!
I apologise to anyone offended, but I love this series so much, it was a big let down. I'f you've read the other 6, then read this one - don't expect wonders, but read it anyway. Hopefully, Jennsen will turn out alright in bk 8, but she's got a lot of catching up to do to get back in my good books!!!...

3.0 out of 5 stars The Pillars of Creation, 29 Mar. 2005
This review is from: The Pillars of Creation (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
Ever since reading Wizards First Rule I have not been able to put Goodkind's books down and I was excited about the journey this novel would take me on.
Unfortunately, once finished, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. The introduction of the new characters Jenssen, Oba and Sebastien was a good idea and added a new perspective to Goodkinds world, especially the Imperial Order in their struggle to take Aydindril.
I felt that although Goodkind took the time to build up the characters in the story, he rushed the ending. I would like to have seen lots of struggling, magic, bloodshed and emotion at the end of such a story. What I got was two important characters who seem to die in a really lame and unexpected way. The story, as in many others of Goodkind's, skilfully builds up to "the big showdown" yet this time the reader is met with a huge anti climax.
Any fan should still read the "Pillars of Creation" as important characters are introduced that appear in later novels. Even though I was a little disappointed, I still picked up the next book in the series five minutes later!

1.0 out of 5 stars This One Is Going To Gather Dust On The Shelf, 13 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
Usually when I get a new SoT book I have waited a year, read it in a couple of days & started it again almost immediately to read it 'properly'. This one, however, took weeks to read because it wasn't gripping enough & has been consigned to the shelf straight away because it was so uninteresting. I agree with most of the previous comments that it took too long to get to the central characters (R&K) - I mean 500 pages in a 600-odd page book is way too much character development & preamble. The next one HAD better be a corker or I shall lose all faith & fall to someone else's books (lousy pun - sorry ;-)).

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to scratch, 17 May 2003
David Midgley "Jekteir" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pillars of Creation (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
I've read all of the books in the series, and from the incisive start to the series, "Wizard's First Rule", it's been a rollercoaster ride of discovery and adventure. "Faith Of The Fallen"'s magnificent conclusion was spellbindingly well written. Sadly, the most recent "The Pillars of Creation" does not live up to expectations. This isn't because Richard and Kahlan are not the protagonists (though they aren't), but because Goodkind has failed to properly pace the novel, failed to demonstrate a believable concept as the basis for the novel (as in other books like "Soul of the Fire"), and frankly failed to write a number of sections very well. The book is not as satisfying as it could be. Some of Richard's wise words near the end of the novel come across not as inspiring or intuitive, but as sententious. And there's some in-joke about the last section that I didn't get...maybe I need to reread the previous book. Needless to say, if you are a die-hard fan, you will want this book. However, from the start and end of it, it actually seems like if you didn't read it, the continuity would be pretty much the same for the next novel.

The Pillars of Creation (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Pillars of Creation (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Terry Goodkind (Paperback - 31 Dec. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01