5.0 out of 5 stars A Fall of Moondust
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by Mr. M. G. Miles

3.0 out of 5 stars it really gives you the right atmosphere (no pun intended) of what it could be like to visit the moon
Relatively entertaining and engaging novel, it really gives you the right atmosphere (no pun intended) of what it could be like to visit the moon, it's only flaw is how dated the way the characters interact with each other, it does pick up on the suspense sometimes but it is few and far between as most of the story is character driven. but an interesting read other wise.
Published 2 months ago by kevin maguire

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fall of Moondust, 2 Nov 2010
I am particularly pleased to see this available, as I restored it to the BBC archives from a reel-to-reel tape I had recorded of 'Saturday Night Theatre' on BBC Radio 4 in October 1975. It had lain forgotten until the BBC 'Treasure Hunt' was advertised. I then checked all my BBC radio recordings, and this was the only one not in the BBC Sound Archives. I received two CDs of it & a thank-you letter from the Head of BBC Sound Archives, Simon Rook. Martyn Miles Winey Oxon .

(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Fall Of Moondust (Hardcover)
I purchased this book because it was about man living on the Moon. I have always been fascinated by stories set on the Moon - I guess this comes from growing up at the time of the Moon Landing.

This is my first novel by Arthur C. Clarke, and as I enjoyed the style of writing immensely - will certainly not be my last!

I found this book easy to read; enjoyable, and with just about the right amount of suspense to keep me satisfied without all those over-long and invented words and names that become so tiresome in this genre... About the only criticism (and it is small) that I would have, is the fact that there was not enough story before the big 'accident' outlining life as it is on the Moon. I would have liked more background to day-to-day living by the Moon's inhabitants to begin with - but it seemed to me the Author appeared a little too eager to get into the 'life threatening' and crisis situation part of the story way too soon...

However; a very enjoyable read indeed that I could recommend to any SF fan.

NOTE: 'SF Masterworks' series has some of the finest examples in this genre, and I find do stunningly attractive artwork for their chosen titles, but the quality of these Editions leave a lot to be desired... The print, though bold is poor somehow; there are numerous spelling errors, missing or duplicated words - and even the print is not the same size throughout! It's also a bit small too for my liking - but I'm always 'seduced' by the outstanding and enticing artwork!

(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Fall of Moondust (Paperback)

(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Fall Of Moondust (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars On the Moon!, 17 Jan 2011
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A fall of moondust (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars On the Moon!, 17 Jan 2011
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Fall of Moondust (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fall of Moondust, 30 Nov 2012
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Fall of Moondust (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
A dust cruiser is submerged in a dust dune on the lunar surface, and as with a modern submarine the passengers must wait for outside help with dwindling resources and specific engineering and physics problems for their rescuers to face.
It's a simple enough idea but the novel setting and details are brilliant. Think of the consistency of the dust, the lower gravity meaning that it hangs in the 'space' above ground when disturbed, the vacuum and cold hampering rescue efforts. Every idea we can think of is shot down for some reason and the challenge inside is to stay calm. The passengers have two books, and elect to read aloud 'The Orange and the Apple', a saucy tale of a meeting between Isaac Newton and Nell Gwynn. That kind of little human detail is enough to bring them alive and make us care about the rescue.

Yes this is dated now, but it's great fun and not too long. It's a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic, 5 Aug 2014
This is essentially a search and rescue operation set on the moon. Like many of Arthur C. Clarke stories it is presented in a very thoughtful and credible way; it does not include dogfights in space or aliens but it does present some fascinating characters wrapped up in an intense drama. The attention to detail is quite refreshing, which adds to the suspense and realism. The story is extremely well written and the BBC have done a truly excellent job in this radio drama. Without question my favorite radio drama and a must listen to all Sci-Fi enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Radio SF at its best, 5 Feb 2008
This was a very nice radio play version of A Fall Of Moondust. I recall it being broadcast back in about 1981 and had a cassette for many years. Really well adapted, you can feel the tension far more in the voices of the actors on tape than in the book. A superb example of the power of good SF in the radio genre.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Fall of Moondust (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
A Fall of Moondust (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Arthur C. Clarke (Paperback - 14 Mar 2002)