5.0 out of 5 stars Big Science: Great Characters. Works on all levels
Although 'Blood Music' received more attention from the SF community , this is probably the book in which Bear set the standard for his subsequent work.
It's Hard SF/Big Science at its hardest, and in one sense can be seen as a 'Rendezvous with Rama' for the Nineteen Eighties.
Bear should also be applauded for his portrayal of female characters as in this and...
Published on 24 April 2003 by Rod Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but flawed
I first read this when I was 16 year old and it was the first book I ever bought with my own money. And having just reread it a little over 20 years later and my feelings for it have changed slightly. As a 16 year old I was blown away by the ideas, scope and possible future direction of humanity its only on my recent rereading that its flaws come into focus...
Published on 14 Dec 2010 by Mr. G. Earley

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - not a book to get from the library..., 25 Nov 1999
This review is from: Eon (Paperback)
I bought this book a few years ago and in that time I have read it many times - thus it is battered and dog eared. Each time I read it I read something different or have a different perspective of what I have read - be it that I have missed it before or that I didnt think about it then - this book made me think... hard. Therefore, it would be a crime to get this from the library and not buy as you would miss all the things that I (and many friends who have bought this book) have got from this book with each successive read - top class!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pleasure is in the Journey., 2 Nov 2002
Toby Allen "Toby Allen" (Cork, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eon (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
This is the sort of book I love. HUGE SciFi in the vein of Iain M Banks and the Culture. I really enjoy these books where the pleasure is in the details of the weird and wonderful stuff that the author has put in his world rather than where the story is going. Another is Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson.

Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly imaginative novel, 3 May 2009
N. Durand - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eon (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from Eon when i began reading it, so i was pleasantly suprised to find myself really enjoying it after i got into it.

After the main characters are introduced in the Prologue, the novel jumps straight into the epic science fiction. The story is, overall, very good; this is mainly due to how believable the characters are. The characters are believable due to the fact that they are brilliant in a realistic way, but they are not without their flaws.

I did find that the Physics in this book was quite challenging, but i did manage to understand most of it.

The only other problem with this book is that in this edition (the same edition which i read) i found there to be quite a lot of spelling errors frequently throughout the novel. I believe this is due to editing as i have read some of Bears other books and they have been fine. Its not a major problem, so please do not let this stop you from buying the book.

Overall i think it deserves five out of five stars, and i believe that it is well worth a read from anyone, whether you're a fan of SF or not, this is a great novel. Eon is one of my favourite SF novels of all time.

Thanks for reading my review of Eon :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Rama, but rewarding, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Eon (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
A good read, but I missed the weirdness and alieness of Clarke's Rama here.
If you like a 'Hard' sci fi story along with an interesting Cold War apocalypse ( written early 80's) and a strong female lead read on......

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jun 2013
I read this many years ago and loved it. Now I'm rediscovering just how good it is. Some bits may seem a bit dated (our not so recent history) but the concept is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, very imaginative!, 13 Dec 2012
First encountered Bear in reading the Mongoliad series which is co-authors with Stephenson and others, and liked it. So I read Hull Zero Three, and liked that also, so decided to take on the Eon series. Just finishing Eon (the first in the series) and have enjoyed it. Bear does big space opera in much the same way Alastair Reynolds did with his Culture series. He stretches the science a bit, but that's why it's call Science Fiction. His writing reads very well and his characters are interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Ideas, a bit dated but well written, 11 Dec 2012
I've been trying to catch up on some older SF classics and this series seemed like a good place to start.
While some of the scenarios may be a bit dated due to the cold war setting, the set-up is very exciting.
The overall story is a more militaristic take on Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.

The tension builds very well throughout the novel and I was racing through it towards the end. Most of the characters were well written and very understandable given the situation they found themselves in (apart from Patricia whom was quite annoying at times).

Overall I would recommend this book and have already bought the next one to see where the story goes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 8 Dec 2012
This is a great book it doesn't suffer from much in the way it is written if taken in the context it was not written yesterday.

Great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nave & dated first half, sparklingly original second half., 21 Oct 2012
Willy Eckerslike (France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eon (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
In the continuing interregnum between Amazon orders, I decided to delve back in time to a book that left a lasting impression. I first read this book way back in 1987 when I was half my current age and, having cut my teeth on the works of the early masters of the genre, the contemporary freshness and variation on the Rama theme really fired my imagination.

At first, reading it again might not have been that great an idea. The cold-war politics with squeaky-clean liberally-minded Yanks and Russian state machinery automata seem now to be nave caricatures and it is always a mistake to mention future dates; 2005 may have seemed a long time ahead back in 1987 but now... it's all a bit Tomorrow's World. Some of the technological references also give the book a very dated feel (e.g. booking processor time on the mainframe!), but Bear wasn't too short of the mark predicting the near ubiquitous hand-held tablet (mind you, I think Star Trek got there first).

It's an odd book, this one; the first half is slow and almost painfully dated but then as soon as Ser Olmy enters the narrative things really get going. The Frant, Jart & Talsit races and the Naderite / Geshel politics in the still futuristic Axis City as it rides the singularity down The Way are as original today as they were back then. The latter half of the book rattles along at a cracking pace and, getting to the end I'm glad that I read it again. So much so that I really fancy staying back in my long-lost youth and re-reading Eternity. That, however, is not going to happen until the next inter-Amazon order vacuum as the latest one has just arrived.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two unequal halves, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Eon (Paperback)
I've never written a review on Amazon before but this book has inspired me to.

The first half of the book is flawless: the science fiction, hard science and geopolitical tension elements are truly excellent.

The second half, dealing more with political factions amongst the Way's inhabitants is much harder to follow. As one other reviewer insightfully put it: I enjoyed reading those sections, but I wasn't entirely sure what was going on. Description of the action sequences towards the end is hard to follow, purely because of the breathtaking scope and completely unfamilar setting, but it is still- somehow- gripping.

Again, as others point out, the last quarter of the book feels slightly rushed in pace.

Despite those qualms, I enormously enjoyed the book, and in particular feel that the first 250 pages are amongst the most gripping and relentless that I have read. I shall be purchsing the sequel.

ARRAY(0xb110a804)

Eon (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Eon (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Greg Bear (Paperback - 11 April 2002)
7.99