5.0 out of 5 stars this book is entrancing, 10 Feb. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Forests of the Heart (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
This book completely entranced me the first time I read it and has continued to entrance me each and every time I pick it up [which must have amounted to at least twenty by now]. Regular readers of De Lint's work will know that he likes to mix his mythology, in combinations that wouldn't seem to go but in fact mix seamlessly. Forests of the Heart mixes the familiar celtic, with Native American Indian and that of the Spanish settlers in Mexico, with a dash of Catholicism for good measure. We meet old characters once more, with Jilly appearing to give her particular perspective on the action and we are introduced to new ones, such as Bettina who I personally am dying to find out what happens to!
This book was particularly effective for me as the author's love of music was clearly included in the storyline, dare I say that the favourite bands of Hunter are those of De Lint?
This particular De Lint novel is probably one I would recommend to familiar readers, the Newford backstory may come in handy. But as an introduction to him for a curious reader it will still go down a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Genius!, 2 May 2002
This was the first book I read by Charles De Lint. I found a copy in my library while just browsing and borrowed it (taking it back today actually) and when I started reading I was absolutely entranced! The characters felt so real to me, and individual, and I loved the way the different threads of their lives were woven together at the end in the final part of the book (don't want to give anything away - you'll just have to read it). Charles De Lint really developed them well and their actions never stopped surprising me. By the final half of the book I just couldn't put it down and had to read it all in one evening in between doing textiles exam work! I will definitely read more of Charles De Lint's books, and I would recommend them to anyone with a mind even the tiniest bit inclined towards the supernatural!

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me remember how much I liked his earlier works., 27 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
I haven't read Charles De Lint since a trip to Rome four years ago then in the space of a month I have read two of his books. This one has once again made me realise just what it is I enjoy about his books.
As usual he follows the path of tracing the stories of various characters that will ultimately be involved in the climax. Their lives as usual revolve around music, myth and art but they are well portrayed and the ideas that he draws from Irish and Native American mythology are woven exquisitely into their existences. The main thread is the story of the Green Man, a yearly sacrifice for the benefit of the land and people, but the dark element in the story has a different purpose in mind.
I felt that certain parts of the novel were not fully explored and when the Green Man did appear that this was rather rushed but all in all I thoroughly enjoyed it and to any Charles De Lint fans out there this is defintitely worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a substantial work of contemporary fantasy, 21 Nov. 2002
By A Customer
Charles de Lint has woven a complex tale with many interlaced threads. There is a cast of fascinating characters, most of whom are three dimensional, and the suspense is maintained till the end of the story. I found the conclusion very satisfying in the way that it ties up the loose ends.

Negative points for me were the lack of dimensions of a few of the characters, the frequent use of Spanish (only some of which was translated), and the few improbabilities. Improbable within the world of the story, that is.

I borrowed the book from the library but I'm thinking of buying it so I can re-read whenever I choose. What more can I say?

4.0 out of 5 stars A blend of magics.... Irish and Native American., 21 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Forests of the Heart (Hardcover)
Lovely. I have often wondered what happened when all the immigrants brought their own little mysteries with them... and how they interacted, intermingled with the ones that were already here. de Lint allows the characters of his other works to brush up against the lives of Bettina, Ellie, Hunter and the others... A delightful read.

Forests of the Heart (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Forests of the Heart (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Charles de Lint (Paperback - 8 Aug. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01