5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book that must not be missed.
Published on 21 Mar 2002 by yarrowtree

2.0 out of 5 stars a long walk through a day-time soap
Published on 12 Dec 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book that must not be missed., 21 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Onion Girl (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
Another uplifting book by easily one of the best authors of our time. Jilly Coppercorn shines like a dear and special friend, and all the Newford favourites provide a stunning backdrop for this moving story about Jilly and her life. I won't say too much about the story beacause the mystery was what made it so hard to put down. What I will say is if you want to escape from reality and step into a world far removed and yet somehow very familiar, then buy this book. In fact buy all of de Lints books. Like I have!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a family re-union under the worst circumstances., 21 Oct 2001
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Hardcover)
Thank you Charles for finally writing about everyone's favourite Newford resident. De Lint fans finally get to learn all about the beautiful ball of energy that is Jilly Coppercorn - but a word of warning, the story is a dark look at life on the wrong side of the tracks and tackles one of the most heartbreaking issues in the world today.
But as with all De Lint books, the issues are tackled with a warmth and sensitivity only this writer can muster and there is always the support of the main protagonists family of choice and a bit of the other-worldly to help our heroine out.
There is a bit of a family re-union feel to the book that leaves me worrying that the writer is bidding farewell to the residents of Newford. I sincerely hope this is not the case.
This was definately worth paying import prices for and a must buy for those readers familiar with the writers novels and short stories. If you are a De Lint newbie, check out the earlier books before starting this one - knowing the characters will double the pleasure of this gem of a book

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 15 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Onion Girl (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
I urge you to buy this book. *tries using mind control powers*...ok if those didn't work then let me reveal to you a wee bit of information as to what this book has to offer. It revolves mainly around the character of Jilly Coppercorn....a mysterious, magical, intruiging person. Jilly has made appearances In other Charles De Lint books, but this book tells us more of her past and her family. The book also focusing largely on Jilly's sister, who also has a great story to tell. This book is more than just escapism...it's more enlightening and eye opening and makes us think of what we might be missing in the magical place we live. It makes us feel magic in our everyday lives and gives us hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 25 Feb 2003
This review is from: The Onion Girl (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
Charles de Lint's always takes you on a magical journey through other realms, challenging the boundaries of our worlds and the Onion Girl is no exception. His writing is such that when you have to put the book down you long for the next time you are able to pick up the story.
'The Onion Girl' is one of his books based in Newford and involves many of the characters who appear in his other stories. His writing is like a form of weaving such that there are many strands of his other stories that touch this one but the way he introduces them in this story is from another angle so it builds on what you already know about them.
Charles de Lint shows how Jilly Coppercorn's, (the central character), life has been shaped by the choices she has made, by goodness and by her experience of Faerie. One of the recurrent themes of this book is the importance of fairy tales, of magical stories that help us to believe in something bigger than ourselves, that help us believe in the possibility of transformation and change even when we have experienced the most horrendous of childhoods.
Charles de Lint's writing is very rich and he offers a source of inspiration for anyone who feels a spiritual bond with indigenous or traditional worldviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting but Impressive Read, 16 Dec 2004
I read this novel having already read most of Charles De Lint's earlier works set in the imaginary city of Newford. This novel is well-written, although given that I'd managed to work out what was going to happen fairly early, I found the back-and-forth rhythm of the book a tad annoying. Given that I knew and was fond of the central character from the earlier books, this was a difficult read when you find out what dark history made her who she is. Saying that, all bar a small section of the book was completely new material, and it helped to flesh out a number of other characters well. The ending also surprised me a little. I'm glad I read it, but having read it once I'd find it difficult to read again. I think you'll get more out of the book if you've read at least one of the Newford novel or story collections before this, but even without that this is a powerful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars CdL goes from strength to strength, 18 Oct 2001
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Hardcover)
This is another superb outing from CdL. It is perhaps best read after reading his collections of short stories and at least a couple of the other Newford based novels as so many existing characters have roles to play(even a contented Cody gets a cameo role at the end!). Writing a novel based on Jilly was always going to be difficult as she is so central to the Newford tales that many readers, myself included, have very firm ideas about/images of her. Even so, this book surpassed my expectations. As always with CdL a number of threads are left dangling and this exploration of Jilly and Newford leaves a lot of questions unanswered. It many ways this book is simply another superb chapter in the on-going exploration of Newford. I cannot recommend CdL highly enough. More Please !

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as ever!, 17 Nov 2001
Several of de Lint's stories have focused on Newford, and he has introduced many intriguing characters. The Onion Girl concentrates on Jilly and tells us more of her past, hinted at in 'In The House Of My Enemy'. All the old friends are here (though I'd like to have seen more of Geordie)and again the story switches from the normal world to the magical Dreamlands and back again. There are some dark issues to deal with, and at times the book is rather disturbing, but always hope shines through. I'd thoroughly recommend it to fans, but perhaps it's not the best introduction if you haven't read de Lint before, as most of the characters are well established from previous books. (A good one to start with would be 'Memory and Dream'). Here's to more Newford stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant performance...., 27 Dec 2001
Mrs. E. de Jager "Liz" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Hardcover)
CDL just doesn't know how to stop, does he? In Onion Girl we learn more about Jilly - or rather, Broken Girl.
It is a heartbreaking story because of its "realness". Child abuse is a terrible subject and he writes about it with great care and greater tenderness.
Jilly is a lovely character and through this book we come to know a lot more about her friends both this side where she is known in The World As It Is as well as in the Otherworld. A lot of things come together piece by piece as the story unfolds and I personally have a huge crush on Joe / Bones.
He tries helping Jilly along with some of his canid friends and boy, do they make a ruckus!
Great story, wonderful depth, heartbreaking matter - never better!

2.0 out of 5 stars a long walk through a day-time soap, 12 Dec 2001
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of CDL and very happy that others have found this work 5 stars... It makes me feel better. For me, I kept thinking I had wandered into a self-help-why-do-bad-things-happen-to-good-people story. Even the slips into dreamland had a dark and dreary cast to it... with very few spots of light. The story line is indeed a heart-tug and if the main intention of the story is to remind us all that child abuse is a horrid and life altering event..it is successful. As Jilly's friends all tell their reaction to Jilly's situation from their point of view and in the first person, one has to look at the title heading to see who has the focus of the story now... drove me nuts... I hope all of CDL fans read this book and stop in here and leave a great review...perhaps then I will see something in the story that I've missed... but for now, this book goes on the shelf filed under depressing with a wee touch of the otherworld.

The Onion Girl (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Onion Girl (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Charles de Lint (Paperback - 15 Aug 2002)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available