4.0 out of 5 stars Another Aldiss book on one man's search for meaning...
Published on 1 Sep 1999

A couple of weeks ago I was in the Oxfam shop, looking for a science fiction item to buy. I plumped for this one, and I've just finished it.

Published on 25 April 2011 by W. Robinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Aldiss book on one man's search for meaning..., 1 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Greybeard (Hardcover)
One man's search for meaning in a dysfunctional world... it's a common theme for Brian Aldiss to take up. This book, however, is perhaps a little more accessible than titles like Hothouse or Non-Stop, which also explore this theme. This is largely because Greybeard is set in the still recognisable world of Oxfordshire, England, albeit set in the near future in a world seemingly devoid of children. The novel has a very haunting and melancholic quality to it but ends on an inspired note. Recommended reading... and you don't have to be a fan of science fiction to enjoy this.

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd book - original, well-written, but never very exciting, 25 April 2011
W. Robinson "Big Bill Robinson" (Slough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greybeard (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)

On the good side, it's a well-written book, with good characters. What happens is that the testing of WMDs (weapons of mass destruction) in space have affected the Van Allen radiation belts around the earth, rendering the human race (and most higher animals) sterile.

So, without children, civilization slowly and inexorably crumbles. England is run, not by a national government, but by regional warlords. A group of old people have established themselves in the village of Sparcot, growing enough food to get by, and avoiding the plague which has decimated the population of the cities. One man, Greybeard, growing tired of the same old way of life, decides he has to leave, to seek his fortune. So off he goes, with this wife, rowing down the Thames.... The book meanders along for a while, telling us what Greybeard does and has done.

Suddenly, about halfway through the book, there is a major gear change, and we find ourselves in the USA, and a completely different storyline ensues. I found this big change rather difficult to swallow, as it's a bit like reading a completely different book!

Eventually the story moves back to England, with the old fogeys and has-beens trying to make the best of things. I found it quite difficult to get into this book, despite it being well-written. It's a bit like watching a mediocre play - not bad, but you are quite relieved when it comes to an end. It's just a bit dull, and I cannot honestly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea but lacks the punch that 5 star books have, 25 Feb 2002
Steven Douglas (Lincoln United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greybeard (Paperback)
A nuclear accident unleashes radioactivity on the earth rendering the population sterile. As the population ages the earth decays to the dark ages frantically grasping for the myth of children still being born.
An interesting idea, well developed with good character generation. Unfortunately just lacked that special something which renders a good book a classic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but lacks some depth, 7 Aug 2009
Alison "girlrunning" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greybeard (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book but I don't think it really lived up to its potential. The first few pages got me hooked right in, very cinematic descriptions, I could visualise how the first scene would look like if it were a movie. The characters were interesting but could have been developed more as some were only superfically described. I also wanted to know more about the deeper feelings of these people who couldn't have children. Aldiss does explore this somewhat, but I think this is where he misses a trick. It just doesn't delve deeply enough into the issues that this scenario raises.

If you like this genre of book then I would certainly recommend reading it, it was certainly enjoyable and well written. It was difficult for me to get hold of though, it seems to have been out of print for a while so if you can get a second hand copy in any condition it's worth grabbing.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Senile Delinquents", 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Greybeard (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
Don't normally enjoy Science Fiction, but enjoyed this novel. I thought its use of the term "senile delinquents" was a wonderful alternative to the more normal "juvenile delinquents". I read the book because it is featured this month on BBC World Service Radio's excellent World Book Club, and I am looking forward to listening to Aldiss responding tomorrow to questions from both a studio and worldwide audience. (By the way, I can thoroughly recommend this programme, which has caused me to read all sorts of book I would not normally buy. Also, I am sure most of us have that empty feeling when finishing a book. So it is great to finish a book, knowing one still has this programme to look forward to). Finally, perhaps on a rather inward note given that my partner and I are "childfree", it would have been good if Aldiss could have touched on the advantages of a couple not having children - this is particularly apparent to me where I live in Africa - average 6 to 7 children per woman and a population doubling every 20 or so years, carries with it many negative features.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oldies Alone?, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Greybeard (Hardcover)
A 1960s take on "What if" humans stop reproducing - exploring the social consequences of an ageing population heading towards extinction.My mother used to be a gerontologist, and Mother's Day offered a good opportunity to find something beyond a bunch of flowers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another sublime work from the exemplary sf mind of Brian Aldiss., 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Greybeard (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
Another thoroughly absorbing and wonderfully literate work by SF Master Brian Aldiss. While dealing with an almost unbearably maudlin premise; our world made infertile by the ill-considered detonation of Atomic warheads in the earth's atmosphere; Aldiss writes so well, and with such sublime humanity, that one can't help but feel rather optimistic about the recuperative powers of man.

Each zesty, colorful vignette is beautifully realized by Aldiss, and one is quickly immersed in the wholly absorbing narrative of Greybeard, and his delightful wife Martha's stoic exodus through the myriad adventures they have along the Thames estuary, and the much hoped-for sanctuary of the sea.

I'm sure Greybeard must be one of the most elegiac journey's into the inevitable demise of our natal planet; as there is such a grand wit and effervescing, searching mind at work behind this exemplary novel.

Mr. Aldiss I salute you! 'Greybeard' has not not only proven to be an inspirational tome for generations of writers; it is also an earthy, impassioned, richly woven tale which shall remain a must-read for all those who genuinely appreciate great literary art.

4.0 out of 5 stars decline, decay, and dissolution, 11 Feb 2014
I read this book after finding the excellent 'The age of Aquarius' by A W Findlay and searching for similar themes. While both books have a great sense of atmosphere and place - a vaguely recognizable world, displaced into a dystopia by the extrapolation of particular events leading to a grim world where you don't know if there will be a happy ending or not...I prefer The age of Aquarius for a tad more action and really recommend it, but either way both led me to the last page (I wont spoil it on either) pretty quickly...

2.0 out of 5 stars Too dismal !, 24 Dec 2013
Michael Tracy (Belgium, sometimes Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greybeard (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I ordered this book on my Kindle after hearing the BBC World Book Club discussion. Not that the author impressed me: on the contrary he just sounded gloomy, and avoided awkward but valid questions. However, reviews say how well he writes, and he has certainly written a lot. But "Greybeard" is a dismal book, though it contrives a sort-of-happy ending.
Brian Aldiss is an old man. So am I (just a few years younger; I too feel pessimistic about the future of humanity, though not for the same reason, and I do not regard age as an excuse for being miserable. It seems he had a difficult childhood. Yet "Greybeard" was one of his first books, and I can only feel sorry for him that many years later he has apparently found no joy in life.
I did not enjoy this book and it does not incite me to read any other of his writings. Nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent Science Fiction, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Greybeard (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I read this for the BBC World Book Club. It wouldn't have been my first choice but I found it extremely well written, especially the descriptions, and a throughly enjoyable read. Interesting podcast interview with the author about book still available via book club on web gives a surprising insight into origin of plot and character.

ARRAY(0xa679bdbc)

Greybeard (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Greybeard (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Brian Aldiss (Paperback - 10 Mar 2011)
5.59