on 18 June 2014
Read this as a child and although the futuristic details is now dated the story is still excellent. I enjoyed it very much.
on 3 March 2002
sci - fi meets good old revenge story. And definitely a book for cat lovers. out of date now, as we have passed most of his dates, and many of Heinlein' inventions have now been invented! A good read.
on 23 June 2009
OK, this book was enjoyably slick and I sped through it in no time, but if you want science fiction with any depth or emotional resonance, don't expect to find it here. I think a lot of Robert Heinlein's books were written for teenagers, and this one would probably go down well with a pubescent male proto-nerd; I know I would have enjoyed it a lot more as a child, before I'd developed any literary expectations. I probably would have been less disturbed by the adult protagonist's alarming designs on his best friend's young daughter. And I wouldn't have noticed the laughably flat characterisation of women in this book, portrayed either as vicious, scheming harpies or gentle, sighing simpletons. Having said all that, Robert Heinlein writes with real verve and it was an enjoyable read. I'd have given it 3 stars were it not for the dodgy wish-fulfillment of the ending, which I had to speed through in genuine embarrassment.
on 31 May 2008
Suspended animation, time-travel and revenge cannot save this novel from the mediocre feel that inhabits these pages.

Published in 1956, it suffers somewhat from age, writing style etc and being a time-travel enthusiast, I have to say that I was considerably disappointed by the time I finished it.