4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I was expecting.
I like Robert Rankin. I have read all his books. Some are better than others, but most are pretty good.

I think the title of this book put me off. However, the Da-da-de-da-da in the title doesn't refer to a stutterer trying to say "da Vinci", or anything so blatant. Instead it refers to a snatch of a rhythm. Think along the lines of Waltzing Matilda da da de da...
Published on 24 Aug 2007 by Danny

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult review to write
I've been a Rankin fan ever since I read 'The Antipope' in the 1980s, and I've got everything he's written, mostly first editions. Until now, I've never had a problem recommending any of his books to people who enjoy humorous writing. But this one doesn't deliver the Rankin magic, somehow. It's all there - the heroic hero, the strangely formal dialogue, the wacky wander...
Published on 16 Mar 2008 by Ray Blake

2.0 out of 5 stars Da-Da-De-Da-Disappointed, 5 Sep 2007
G. Ferey "Far Fetched Fan" (Rural Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Da-Da-De-Da-Da Code (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Hardcover)
The latest offering from the brilliant mind of Robert Rankin has fallen flat in the view of this reviewer.

The plot is pedestrian, lineal and simple, the jokes well-worn and predictable as are the characters and their "quirks".

After thrilling us with clever, completely original story-lines and characters, Mr. Rankin has served up what appears to be a lazy offering that is the first in the Rankin canon that I could not refer to as a "page-turner".

The increasing appearance of the author on the covers and the inclusion of a CD of his music (good that that is, mind you), begs the question - is this a case of ego over idea?

The founder of a great new genre of literature, that of Far Fetched Fiction, may be in danger of being surpassed by others who are now writing in a similar vein but demonstrating greater imagination than is offered in this tome (Jasper Fforde anyone?).

I was disappointed and hope that this is simply a dry patch of ideas (much like Pratchett's Jingo) that will be overcome and see a wonderful return to form with the next offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars better than i thought it would be, 10 Feb 2011
Having read some of the more negative reviews of this book, and having recently struggled through necrophenia, I wasn't expecting much from it. However I really enjoyed it and found the ending quite a shocking departure from normal. I think some of the negitivity may have come from the title and the poor cover design of the origional printing, I however read it with the new bright orange cover. Maybe I do judge a book by its cover after all. (Secretly I want to replace all my other Rankin books with the ones with the new cover designs). bye

5.0 out of 5 stars WICKED!!!, 7 Aug 2009
T. Burgess "Tracicat" (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
The Da-Da-De-Da-Da Code (Gollancz S.F.)
Since a much loved friend was the basis for this novel I thought it was fantastic before I even read it. I love Jon Hooker!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars worth a read but not his best, 30 Jan 2009
A. Wingfield "wingsteroony" (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
well it was alright, not his best and not his worst.... personally I would like something more along the lines of fandom of the operator......having said that i'm still looking forward to his next book.

The Da-Da-De-Da-Da Code (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Da-Da-De-Da-Da Code (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Robert Rankin (Hardcover - 19 July 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01