5.0 out of 5 stars We have met the enemy and he is us
So said a character in a U.S. comic-strip about 50 years or so ago. And so says Terry Pratchett in his typically funny, absurd and thoughtful "JINGO" as he takes on the absurdity of war and those who have led us into war since time began.
Jingo features Commander Vimes and the men, women, dwarves, trolls and undead members of the Watch. Jingo opens with Ankh-Morpork...
Published on 29 Nov 2005 by Leonard Fleisig

3.0 out of 5 stars Average
I'm a big fan of pratchett but this is a disjointed story with rather muddled dialogue. The core is there and there's a serious point to the book but it's never brought together satisfactorily and there really isn't any laugh out loud moments, as with some of his earlier work. If you're a fan then read on. If you're new to pratchett then there are better books of his,...
Published 10 months ago by Mr. A. OSULLIVAN

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not one of the best stories, but still a first-class character comedy, 12 July 2012
Mr. Chris Jarvis "holdmykidney" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
Like many Discworld novels, Jingo successfully parodies our own culture and highlights our failings, gently prompting us to try to avoid repeating those mistakes in the future. Compared to some of the other Discworld novels I have read, the actual plot of Jingo is not quite as gripping as some of the other stories. Making up for this, though, is the fantastic cast of regular and new characters which Pratchett commands.

A number of times my other half was asking what I was laughing at while reading Jingo and in reading it out to her I completely failed to bring across why it was funny. Pratchett's genius is in setting up memorable characters and quirks which allow the comedy to come out in the unspoken narrative between the lines. Like a great TV sitcom, you're almost laughing at the jokes before the punchline is finished because you can guess what the characters will say or think next.

This is at some of its best in Jingo and by the end of the book I was itching to read another story with the same characters. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pratchett's funniest, 17 Jun 2012
The Watch books are my favourites disc world series and this one was so funny that it had me laughing out loud. The characters are well rounded and the story crafted so well that the absurd seems perfectly logical. Perfect light reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jingo: A Discworld Novel (Paperback) by Terry Pratchett, 31 Jan 2012
CINDY (NORMANTON, WEST YORKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
Thank you once again for an amusing novel by dear old Terry Pratchett and indeed it was fantastic as per usual. Thank you also for the speedy delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Discworld novel., 30 Nov 2011
This is my favourite discworld novel, although Nightwatch is a very close second. I think I first started reading the discworld books when my mother bought me a copy of Wyrd Sisters which I enjoyed but as I read more of them in no particular order it became the city watch that appealed to me most.

As head of the Ankh-Morpork city watch it is Vimes who takes centre stage in Jingo and Vimes is without doubt the discworld inhabitant I like the most: he's cynical and funny, he's cleverer than most of the people around him and he understands the world and what makes people run.

The reason I like Jingo so much is that it holds a mirror up to our petty xenophobic squabbles and prejudices and laughs as we continue to spit and rage against ourselves in place of 'the enemy'. I was fortunate enough to be well clear of secondary school in England by the time such ridiculous notions as citizenship were forced in to the school day, I can't help but think that making Jingo required reading for every child would serve the country far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, 31 July 2011
Gijs Van Doorn (2300 Turnhout, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This may be Pratchett's best book, I really loved the way he makes fun of bigotry without falling in cliches.. the dialogues between Nobby and the sarge are superbly written. I can highly recommend it, though you might want to read 'Feet of Clay' first, one of the best books to get involved into discword novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Pratchett Book, 8 April 2011
Another classic Discworld novel and with the colourful picture cover, that i think you have to have when you buy a Pratchett book. If you love Captain Vimes and the Watch then you'll love this one as it follows another of their adventures, I couldn't put it down! Although it may make you feel good you don't need to read them in order and can pick up with the City Watch Characters and more in this book and know whats going on, as Pratchett brings it all to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Any Vimes book is a joy, 10 Dec 2010
Of all the disc world novels those that have Vimes in are my favorit. This I place at no3 in my list with THUD being No1 and Night watch at No2

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Discworld Novel !, 14 Nov 2010
Another Brilliant Discworld Novel ! I love Terry Pratchett books, and I gave this one has a birthday present for an American friend.
The book turned up promptly and in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreservedly brilliant, 8 Oct 2009
L. Green - See all my reviews
Great Vimes book, with some wonderfully weird imagery of Colon and Nobbs cooped up in a submarine with a crackpot inventor and the cool Vetinari

Inventive and very funny

Pratchetts books are always great, but this is in the top 5

5.0 out of 5 stars How have I missed this one?, 5 July 2009
Despite being a devoted Discworld - and especially Sam Vimes - fan for a number of years, I've only just read Jingo for the first time. How did I come to miss it? With the usual combination of satire and punes or plays on words, this is every bit as entertaining as Pratchett's other Discworld novels. And there really is no better guarantee of quality.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 | Next ›

Jingo: Discworld: The City Watch Collection (Discworld Novels)
Jingo: Discworld: The City Watch Collection (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - 11 Nov 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01