5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable guide!
Published on 2 Dec 2011 by P. DENING

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable try
Published on 2 Oct 2008 by Marmorus

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable try, 2 Oct 2008
This is an inexpensive, easy-to-use guide which can help you sort the bargains from the mass-market trash. It can also give you more confidence to try unfamiliar grapes and wine styles. However, his scoring system reflects value for money rather than outright quality, and in 2008 I found many of his high-scoring recommendations rather idiosyncratic compared to 2007. His coverage of different supermarket chains seems dependent on what they offer him to sample. Most disappointingly, if you buy this book for Christmas and look for his main 2009 recommendations in January 2009, they may already have sold out, leaving you with the (usually disappointing) option of a more recent vintage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable guide!, 2 Dec 2011
P. DENING (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Wines in the Supermarkets 2012: My Top Wines Selected for Character and Style (Paperback)
I have bought this book every year since I discovered it. Unlike most people who walk aimlessly up and down supermarket aisles looking for a label that takes their fancy, I have Ned Halley, and I can honestly say that I have never been let down. As a bonus he is also a very funny/witty writer and I find myself reading entry after entry just for the pleasure of it. I cannot recommend it too highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable guide when in the supermarket, 14 Nov 2011
D. W. Joynson (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
Taste in wine is very personal but I think that mine must be similar to Ned Halley's. I always take this book with me when I am supermarket shopping for wine and I find his recommendations excellent from the point of view of quality v cost whether I am buying a cheap everyday wine or something better for a special occasion. I agree with the reviewer who says that after about six months it is often difficult to find the recommended wines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Find some great wines that you would never have spotted!, 17 Mar 2012
This book is great value and we have found some great supermarket wines that we would never have spotted or chosen without the book's recommendation. We have tended to stick to those rated 8, 9 or 10 and that way we haven't gone far wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars VINO, 8 Jan 2008
Easy guide to use but regretably recomendations did not hit the mark.
Very limited choice from Supermarkets such as Tesco as he does not have a strong link.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book!!, 26 Sep 2012
I love this little book.
I will certainly be taking it with me on my next supermarket trip.
I am going to buy this for a few friends and family members too.
An absolute must have for any wine lover!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book. It brings adventure to my Week Ends, 20 Aug 2012
Barry Belasco (SLOUGH, Berks, GB) - See all my reviews
I too have used this book for several years.
I don't usually do 'promo's' for the things that I buy, but this is an old friend that has given me so much pleasure, that i want to share it with new friends.

I can recommend it, because it has introduced me to so many interesting wines that I would never have had the courage to buy on my own.

The drinking experiences that I have been introduced to, have been
pleasurable and truly valuable.

You know that your Life has been improved when you've bought an
unknown bottle for the first time and find it's a wine that suits your palate perfectly. It makes you feel good!

Ned's book has turned my week ends into real adventures and it's taught
me loads about the grapes and vineyards that I now treasure.

Barry

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy one, 20 Aug 2012
Bought it for a friend and it seems to be quite a good handy guide if you are buying mainly from supermarkets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 28 Sep 2009
D. G. Thomas (Laugharne, Wales) - See all my reviews
Best Part of this book is that it can be used as a guide to go through the minefield of finding new wines

Worst part - the wines can become hard to source as the year wears on....

worth a go for this and the later years...

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful!!, 10 Oct 2006
This book's an absolute treasure...I find it so confusing trying to pick out a wine in the supermarket but this gives you the best ones available. The price guide is really helpful too, especially when on a budget - makes sure you don't end up with a disgusting wine just because you can't afford the really expensive ones! I'd highly recommend this guide