on 28 January 2010
This book is full of 'Gluten Free' recipes specifically for Bread Making Machines. So far, I have tried about a third of them with a high degree of success. Some need slight tweaking to adjust to your own machine, but in general all seem to give a good result first time.

The best thing is that now I can have fresh 'Gluten Free' bread whenever I want complete with that lovely cooking smell that I thought would always be a tease.
on 12 December 2010
This is a brilliant book. It gives easy to follow instructions for all the recipes and most of the ingredients used are easily available from supermarkets or online.

My previous attempts at making gluten-free loaves were disastrous - they could have been used to build houses! Bread made using the resipes from this book is tasty and of a nice texture. I would not hesitate to recommend it to any coeliac sufferer who is seeking an alternative to the expensive, hard, tasteless lumps that are generally available to buy. The book makes gluten-free baking easy and worthwhile.
on 16 July 2011
I've cooked most of the bread recipes and they have been both a good taste and acceptable texture (which is not always a given with gluten free recipes): however, the use of rice flour in the standard gluten-free mixes may be too gritty/sweet for some palates and is not as successful in the cake recipes as it is for the bread recipes. Not everybody will like the use of xanthum gum although it does improve the texture of the recipes.

As with other reviewers, depending on your palate, some of the recipes need a more generous use of seasoning/spices, particularly if baking for someone who is sensitive to the taste of rice or soy flour. Several of the cake recipes would benefit from adding vanilla/lemon/lime or orange extract. The chocolate cake recipes are improved by the addition of chocolate extract.

I specifically bought this book because it stressed the use of a breadmaker and I'm interested in reducing my fuel bills by using the breadmaker rather than a full-sized oven as well as reducing heat sources in the kitchen over Summer. However, most of the tastier Speciality Bread recipes just use the breadmaker to mix the dough before removing the dough to shape it and finish in the oven. It's not a deal breaker but it does reduce the usefulness of the book.

Likewise, the extended title indicates that there are "full details for dairy or lactose intolerance" although there aren't. The recipes do not remind the reader to consult pg 18 for recommended substitutions and in a fair number of the recipes, the substitutions might be unpalatable as the amount of (say) soya flour would be so substantial as to alter the flavour profile. The moistness of the recipes may also depend on whether (say) cow/sheep/goat/soy yoghurt is used and it would be useful to have some notes that suggest how to test/adapt for this.

Overall, it's a useful book but be prepared to make extensive notes as you go to record useful tweaks for the next time of preparation and expect to adjust the seasoning in many of the recipes.
on 24 June 2010
Having tried many gluten free recipes that haven't always turned out great I was sceptical about this book, however I can honestly say I love it. So far I have tried the brown bread, banana bread and chocolate cake and they are all absolutly delicious. The recipes are easy and quick and I have already brought the ingredients to try more.
on 20 July 2010
These recipes are great, they are the best that I've come accross. I gave it 4 stars because every recipe didn't do well in the recommended breadmaker (i'm glad I didn't buy this especially). So, I was given a Kenwood Chef as a gift and I decided to use this instead. I whisked up the eggs with the water and vinegar with the whisk, I then changed to the dough hook and added all the other ingredients and mixed on high, I put it in the bread pan and let it rise for 1/2 hour or so and then cooked on gas 6/7 for 50 min or so. It was perfect, rose high, was light and airy not squashy and wet as was in the breadmaker and it toasted very well. I substitute buckweat and soya for sorghum as I hate buckweat and soya and the breads turn out ok. Alot of recipes call for dried milk powder, my stomach can't tolerate this so I omit it but my favourite bread is the Moist Brown Loaf on page 24, as well as substituing the soya flour for sorghum in this recipe, I also substitued half of the Tapioca flour for ground up chia seeds and I make up a 1/3 extra dough and let it rise in a 4lb tin, I also grease some foil and lightly cover before putting in the oven as it stops the bread from buring. I have to say it looks and tastes amazingly great. If I could show you a picture I would. Hope this helps you save money on a breadmaker, use an ordinary hand beater if you don't have a kenwood
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2010
I recently changed to a wheat free diet for health reasons and found the thing I missed the most was bread. I tried buying gluten free bread from the supermarkets but it was awful! This book was a life saver. I have so far only made the basic loaves but have plans to make may more things as the recipes are clear and easy to follow. My only gripe is getting hold of some of the flours needed wasn't easy and buying online was expensive due to the postage. A definite must for all bread lovers who are unable or unwilling to eat wheat.
on 20 October 2012
Tried the very first recipe, a white loaf, in a Panasonic three times. First loaf was put on the rapid bake setting, all ingredients at blood heat, with no tweaking and it came out like a large, dense, spiky rock cake. I swear I could have killed my husband with it. Second attempt, cooked on the gluten free setting, I smoothed over the dough once the kneading cycle had completed and although it resembled a loaf it was dense like a brick and only 3.5 inches high. This appeared to be because the gluten free cycle, indeed all the cycles on a Panasonic, includes a brief knock-down cycle before the final rise. So the paddle knocks your lovely risen dough down flat and there is insufficent time for this heavy dough to rise again before the bake cycle. For my third attempt I returned to the rapid bake cycle but this time I removed the paddle after the initial kneading and smoothed the dough. I also stopped the machine just before the bake cycle was due to start to give the dough a little more time to rise. I manually selected Bake only option for 50 minutes. This did help and I found that the bread was half-way decent and had a slightly domed top even though it rose only two-thirds up the pan. However the loaf was still quite dense but was edible unlike the first two loaves. I will try again with a different loaf recipe but my initial experience was very disappointing and expensive in ingredients.
on 8 March 2011
Try making the french bread and you'll remember how delicious bread can be.
A real treat after months of trying and binning bought/prescription bread.
Used the Panasonic SD-257WXC and am looking forward to many more treats by successfully combining breadmaker and this excellent book.
on 10 May 2013
I bought this book just over 6wks ago and to be very honest, I'm really struggling to get a decent loaf and I'm not sure why this book gets so many 5 star reviews. I use a Panasonic 2500 Breadmaker and have been trying to make several of the bread recipes numerous times either sticking exactly to the recipe or making slight tweaks as needed. I tried the milk loaf first which came out smaller than I'd like (I like high risen loaves for large slices!) and just had a taste I didn't find acceptable for me personally, it seems I don't like the taste of milk in my bread.

I then tried the moist loaf several times and being very exact with the recipe but for a 'large' loaf as described in the book it came out about 3" tall and did not rise much (yes, I opened a new packet of yeast in case it was that, it wasn't) it also had again a smell and taste that I can't stomach. I then tweaked it as I found it was the cornflour and the dry milk powder giving it the taste I don't like and substituted the milk powder for soya flour. Again, still no joy with that recipe.

I then went on to the sandwich loaf. Getting closer, very, very soft and the taste was much better (with milk powder omitted and no soya flour as it gave the bread a smell and taste that literally made my stomach turn! An eggy, wet dog smell and taste) . However, there seems to be a major error in the recipe with the amount of water needed as the loaf turned out very soggy and sticky and with an undercooked texture. I then remade it with 480ml of water instead of the 550ml in the recipe, put it on the gluten free setting to let it knead and rise then stopped the machine and set it to bake only for 1hr and 20mins as the 55mins longest setting was just not enough. It was cooked properly this time and had made a large loaf as there was no knock down and second rise as when using the basic setting as per the recipe but still far too much water as it was still very sticky and stodgy. This could well be my perfect loaf as I love the taste, just not the sticky, stodgy texture! If any one knows the correct amount of water please do leave a comment as I have made this recipe tweaking it with each one trying to get it right, I must have made it 10 times by now and I'm close to tearing my hair out not to mention the expense in ingredients wasted.

It's such a shame as this seems to be the only gluten free bread book for breadmakers that is suitable for a UK market, although is quite dated now, maybe an updated version from the author would be a welcome idea!
VINE VOICEon 3 January 2011
So far I have tried the Brown Sandwich Loaf, and the Basic Brown Bread. They are both springy like normal bread, tasty, and nutritious. They aren't like the light-as-air GF breads you buy in supermarkets (like the 'Genius' loaves), but I like this, as the breads in this book are actually filling and have actual food in them, instead of a load of starch and sugar and preservatives. But neither are they stodgy and brick-like like some other homemade GF breads. They also work out a lot cheaper than buying GF loaves.
Highly recommended.