on 13 May 2010
This guide was superb! It was everything it promised to be and more. The guide became our bible whilst we explored Disneyland. A recommended must have.....don't attempt Disney for the first time without it!!
on 13 June 2010
Don't attempt Disneyland without it! With the help of this book we never queued for longer than 20 minutes for a ride (and mostly just 5 to 10 minutes) and we went during the school half term holiday (end of May.) With planning beforehand and quick glimpses at the book in the hotel on an evening we knew just when to queue, when to sprint and when to sit back and enjoy a coffee. We ate at Planet Hollywood one night and saved over 12 euros on a meal for a family of four by showing the voucher in the book. Even if you don't use the vouchers it's still well worth the money!
on 17 April 2010
We bought this to plan our trip to Disneyland Paris and weren't disappointed.
Loads of info and handy hints on how to make the most of your time and money in the parks.
We also got back more than the price we paid with the Planet Hollywood 20% off in the back cover!!
on 17 March 2010
Fab guide, I always use Brits Guide for Orlando & they never fail, I bought this for info & planning a trip to Disneyland Paris, I'm not dissapointed, only excited for our trip!
on 5 November 2010
Superficially a comprehensive guide that claims `It's a fact, nobody does it better'. Maybe no-one does it better in English for Disneyland Paris but compared to the guides to other Disney Theme Parks this is so poor. I have had to plan for a 5 night trip to DLP in January. My only experience of Disney was a highly enjoyable visit to Florida over 20 years ago. We used the `unofficial' guide (thank God not a `Brit' guide) which enabled us to avoid the usual traps and queues. This was completely honest, unbiased, pulled no punches and clearly included an enormous amount of detailed, statistical, original research into queuing patterns, customer dislikes and likes, clear reasoned suggestions for itineraries and so on.

I was hoping to find, in the Brit guide, similar detailed help for the DLP but there is none. This guide spends 32 pages describing how to get from the UK to the Park. Much of the information is out of date by the time the guide is published and who needs help getting from Hull to Zeebrugge, or Dover to Calais? Pure padding. I will be driving from the south of France, my friends from Ireland and, like 95% of drivers, the only help we need is a detailed map of the car parks plus information of hours of opening, distance from the car park to the main entrance, whether we can park at a village hotel or do we have to use the main car park, where do we park to pick up friends arriving by train, does the main car park ticket allow us to leave and return a couple of later without paying extra (say it starts pouring with rain and we want to visit the Auchon supermarket for a few hours), what are the merits of using our car rather than the shuttle bus if we are at the end on the shuttle run and so on. No information at all on any of these points.

Hotels. All we find is a bland, uncritical copy of glossy hotel brochures. Mild reservations about some of them but no real guidance to help us make a choice. We ended up using Tripadvisor. A couple of hours research on the internet looking at the feedbacks unearths a plethora of criticism and few plaudits. Some hotels are clearly not up to scratch, give poor value for money and are tired, dilapidated and need totally revamping. Not a hint of this in this 2010 guide.

Restaurants and cafes contribute to the overall DLP experience as they are either very, extremely or astronomically expensive. So detailed guidance is welcome. A family of four will spend around 200-250 for the `privilege' of eating in the Park. From the hundreds of feedbacks on Tripadvisor and similar sites it is clear that many are a rip off, many exist for the spectacle rather than their awful food whilst others are genuinely good. This guide fails to critically assess the numerous food outlets that are unacceptable. I have tried to make a detailed itinerary for each of our days and need the opening/closing times. Often this information is lacking. We will be visiting in mid January and by now the authors should have finished research into which outlets always close in the slow season. No information.

Where are the detailed tips on how to avoid queuing at the rides and attractions? The unofficial Orlando guide excels with its maps and gives exact times and days for every season and public holiday. You know you need to plan to avoid certain queues and this guide understands this. I turned to this Brit guide in the expectation that, as the blurb on the back page trumpets, I could `Do yourself a favour - plan it'. What a let down. If only this guide would give some practical, researched precise advice. In mid January we can expect bad weather, probably a day where it rains continuously or maybe snow. Surely some attractions close in really adverse weather but I can find no information. Perhaps all the rides stay open? Which rides and attractions are weather friendly? Perhaps all the rides and attractions are equally enjoyable for young children when it is sunny in mid summer or pouring with rain in mid winter? Perhaps Pigs fly? Where is the advice for an itinerary when the weather is really adverse? The guide handily observes which hotels do not have air-conditioning but clearly the authors have not visited Disneyland in the winter months. I stayed in Reims first week of 1997 when the temperature was well below minus 12 in the day and minus 18 at night. What advice do I get from this guide when temperatures are so low? Are all the restaurants adequately heated? The indoor attractions? Which rides are a no-no for children when it is freezing or raining all day. This information is vital if I am to plan a flexible 5 night stay in January.

I had hoped to find scaled maps, not the useless, ubiquitous Disney picto-maps. Google Earth and ViaMichelin websites are not much better. The authors should invest in a cartographer to create clear, accurate `town' maps and plans - to scale - of the overall complex, each of the `Lands', the Village, etc

The back cover promised information on:
1) "Eating at any time: every bar and night club". No, you fail to give the opening and closing times of all the outlets. Further, nothing objective on known failings
2) "Getting around with minimum stress". No, huge gaps in basic information.
3) "The best times: seats and prices - and how to avoid queues". There are no details, or well researched information on how to avoid queues. I suggest you look at the Unofficial Guide to Orlando - learn from it and re-write this guide.
4) "What to do when the weather changes or if the children get tired". Again quite lacking in advice. You need a complete section on exactly what to do when it is pouring with rain. Or blistering hot. Likewise no information on which attractions are impossible to enjoy in adverse weather, which will close when there is heavy rain or snow, and which are closed throughout non holiday periods in mid winter and early spring.

I will award one star for the book's only unique tip - stay at the Vienna Dream Castle Hotel. Sadly this book is a bland, syrupy, sloppy, uncritical guide. It is does not address the many valid questions necessary for forward planning and devotes too many pages to the irrelevant. When there is some relevant content it is devoid of the crucial details. The Guide fails to live up to its publicity. I note that the authors admit they have various `partners' in the tourism industry. It shows as they clearly do not wish to upset anyone connected with DLP. So, do not buy.

PS. The day after I finished the above review Amazon sent me "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland Paris" by Sehlinger & Testa. What a contrast! Proper maps clearly showing the layout of the whole complex, roads are clearly defined, the scale of the maps shown with clear signing, brilliant photographs and a really comprehensive list of relevant contents. And all this before page 1! A quick glance confirms that this guide will critically answer all the points not addressed in the Brit guide. And the `getting there' section comprehensively and clearly covered in less than a dozen or so pages.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2010
A great guide for going to Disneyland Paris,
My only regret is that I didn't get the guide sooner to allow for better planning. I got my pictures with Mickey Mouse and friends and enjoyed the parades with a little insider knowledge. It's probably best to make your notes and take those rather than taking the book to the park as I found that I had my head in the book rather than enjoying myself. I felt that considering the cost of going to Disneyland this book changed the experience I had completely especially as there is little help within the actual park.
on 9 May 2013
Well for a book that's 240 pages long, this book spends just 79 of those talking about the 2 parks. And alot of that is just repeating itself over and over, they must mention the fact that it wil be busy in the school holidays and halloween at least 10 times!
It has really handy tips like 'take breaks for drinks and visit indoor attractions that have air-conditioning' or 'if you have children try to sit in central section, no more than 10 rows back', amazing stuff that I would never have figured out by myself!
The rating system they use for the rides of A for scenic ride and T for thrills rides is confusing as they seem to inter change them, so something like Peter Pan's flight is rated AAAA but also TTTTT for under 8's.
They layout of the book is just not user friendly. It doesn't flow in any useful manner, you can be reading about rides one moment and then it jumps to various dining options and parades. And then randomly in the middle of it all will be half page insert about what rides appeal to what age banding with no guide as to which land or park each of the rides are - just a list.
All in all, do not waste your money on this book their are websites that do this SO much better and for free.
on 7 May 2011
I have always used the Brits Guide to Orlando on trips to Florida so immediately picked the Brits Guide to Disneyland Paris when I realised it was written by the same authors.

I was not disappointed. This beautifully colourful book contains all the information that is required for a successful visit to Europe's premier theme park. It is a perfect size to carry around and the thick glossy covers provide excellent protection and my book is still in perfect condition, even after our trip.

The book is laid out in a straightforward style making it very easy to read cover to cover and also makes it exceptionally simple to use as a reference book. The chapters are colour coded, the titles are clear and descriptive, the photographs are plentiful and helpful and there are lots of extra text boxes with useful hints and tips.

The book covers everything from choosing the best time to visit, the travel options and the hotels 9both Disney-owned and private) through to making the most of every minute in the parks. Using this guidebook was like travelling with a knowledgeable friend and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is planning a trip to Disneyland Paris.
on 19 April 2011
We have just got back from our first visit to Disneyland Paris and this book was invaluable. It's well worth ordering in time to read it before you go, but keep it with you once there as it will appear out of your rucksack / bag each day on numerous occasions! The information is detailed and very helpful, particularly for those with families (I even found out things about our journey that the Eurostar website hadn't told us!) The most helpful parts for us were those about the best places to watch parades, the detailed information about rides and their suitability for different age ranges and all those little hints and tips that just made everything a bit easier. I hope they will bring out a 2011/2012 copy as one or two things were ever so slightly out of date, but we did go right at the start of the new season. Please don't let this put you off though, this book will still help you to get the most out of your visit, hence the 5 stars.
on 18 August 2011
this book was invaluable on our recent trip to disney paris. i read the book before going and it gave me a good idea of what to expect, having never been before. lots of little things in this book that you might not consider before going. i took the book on holiday and it was great to read it after our first day there because i had a better idea what they where talking about (position of lands, attractions etc). i was constantly telling my husband 'the book says...'!
obviously this book gives the opinion of these people and their experiences and everyone will find attractions different. for example, my children (4 and 6) loves autopia which the books states as being a bit dull. and the book doesnt mention just how terrifying crush's coaster is! whereas it says big thunder mountain is 'scary' but my 6yr old went on twice! i would advise to take the personal opinions on rides with a pinch of salt, take the atrtractions as u find them.