on 21 December 2008
This is a really great book. Its packed full of real explanations regarding why children behave as they do AND practical solutions to everday... and not so everyday difficulties that every parent experiences at one time or another. But, more importantly the recommendations in this book REALLY work AND they can start working straight away. What a relief! This is a must have book for parents, grandparents, teachers and psychologists who work with children. Dont miss it.
on 22 December 2008
I wish I'd read this book years ago!

It leads the reader though:
· The difference between what children need and what they may want.
· How to encourage and reinforce desired behaviours
· Giving your child positive attention
· Why and how to avoid an argument
· Keeping children in the loop
· Dealing with Anger, and preparing for success
· Play, sharing & siblings
· Healthy living in terms of exercise and nutrition

The book was enjoyable, and easy to read.
Yet it rang true and clearly comes from a great deal of experience.
I have three children and the examples and cartoons reminded me of the joys and also of some of the awkward moments.

For a more harmonious existence I heartily recommend this book.

John
on 12 January 2009
I have four children from 3-11 and all of them have their challenging moments. This is a great book that every parent should read. No one is immune to the challenges of parenting and all children have their challenging moments. It gives you well-researched, down-to-earth advice. It doesn't preach and the suggestions are all easy to put in place even within the busy family lives we lead. It is so easy to read with great chapter summaries, funny and poignant cartoons and lovely stories from parents. Highly recommended
on 20 December 2008
Easy to use, practical advice for parents that actually works. And there's an added bonus - the author tells you what to do if your first efforts don't work. Thoroughly recommended.

Ian
on 17 December 2008
This is a challenging but fascination easy to read book. It is a glimpse into our world from a child's perspective. And is full of commonsense suggestions for parents, simply put and clearly explained on how to work towards achieving a happy, calm co-operative family. ("Health warning", don't aim to try all these ideas at once!) These suggestions are amusingly illustrated and backed up with personal anecdotes from parents who have found they work. I personally tried two or three of these ideas out this last week-end when looking after my two perpetually waring competitive grandsons aged 8 and 10. Every spat bar one was diffused and the result of their being asked how they would solve their own problems I can only describe as magical! After their departure my husband remarked how much better their behaviour had been this week-end! I cannot think of a better present for parents or challenging children alike this Christmas.
on 13 July 2009
As a parent and a teacher, I found this book full of insights presented in a thoroughly readable way. It covers use of language, entering the child's world, understanding the parents' needs and point of view and why children can be so challenging - all in a gentle, non-judgemental way. It is a must read.
on 23 July 2011
I am a mum of 4 spirited children and I must say I was at the end of my tether. I wanted to be a good mum but was losing sight of what was important. This book put me back on track and made me realize what my kids needs were. Really recommend this for anyone having any troubles with their kids! Well written with some comprehensive realistic strategies to become a better parent.
on 30 December 2009
I cannot recommend this book highly enough! If you have lively, spirited children, who are strong-willed and un-cooperative, please please read this book...it offers mountains of common sense (something I seem to have lost living with two highly-spirited sleepless children!) and such practical and easy-to-follow advice. A huge thank you to the author whose book is a life-line to parents of challenging children - I know our lives are going to be happier and more harmonious as a result of this book (and I haven't even finished it yet!) This is the best money I've ever spent and my family and I will reap the benefits of the advice from this book for many years to come.
on 24 December 2008
Even though I didn't have a lot of time to read this book, I started just looking at the deceptively simple cartoons and got so much from them straigt away. They are spot on and I love the way the better approach comes later on so you get a bit of time and a chance to think about how to respond differently. I also loved the fact that the situations described were so realistic they seemed to have come straight from our own family! This is definitely the most fun, informative and non preachey parenting book I've come across in a long while.
on 23 April 2012
I've not finished it yet but have found many comments and suggestions really helpful. Not everything works but when you're at your wits end you'll be amazed what does work! Whatever people say, it's not true that parenting is instintive, sometimes you need help from other sources and this book is great for that. I would definitely recommend :-)