5.0 out of 5 stars For a more harmonious existence..., 22 Dec 2008
John Palmer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Calm a Challenging Child: Foreword by Cassandra Jardine, The Daily Telegraph (Paperback)
I wish I'd read this book years ago!

It leads the reader though:
The difference between what children need and what they may want.
How to encourage and reinforce desired behaviours
Giving your child positive attention
Why and how to avoid an argument
Keeping children in the loop
Dealing with Anger, and preparing for success
Play, sharing & siblings
Healthy living in terms of exercise and nutrition

The book was enjoyable, and easy to read.
Yet it rang true and clearly comes from a great deal of experience.
I have three children and the examples and cartoons reminded me of the joys and also of some of the awkward moments.

For a more harmonious existence I heartily recommend this book.

John

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book for parents, 21 Dec 2008
This is a really great book. Its packed full of real explanations regarding why children behave as they do AND practical solutions to everday... and not so everyday difficulties that every parent experiences at one time or another. But, more importantly the recommendations in this book REALLY work AND they can start working straight away. What a relief! This is a must have book for parents, grandparents, teachers and psychologists who work with children. Dont miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 20 Dec 2008
Easy to use, practical advice for parents that actually works. And there's an added bonus - the author tells you what to do if your first efforts don't work. Thoroughly recommended.

Ian

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for Parents, 13 July 2009
Hilary Farmer (Oxford England) - See all my reviews
As a parent and a teacher, I found this book full of insights presented in a thoroughly readable way. It covers use of language, entering the child's world, understanding the parents' needs and point of view and why children can be so challenging - all in a gentle, non-judgemental way. It is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to calm a challenging child, 12 Jan 2009
Camilla McGill (London, England) - See all my reviews
I have four children from 3-11 and all of them have their challenging moments. This is a great book that every parent should read. No one is immune to the challenges of parenting and all children have their challenging moments. It gives you well-researched, down-to-earth advice. It doesn't preach and the suggestions are all easy to put in place even within the busy family lives we lead. It is so easy to read with great chapter summaries, funny and poignant cartoons and lovely stories from parents. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A happier calmer family life., 17 Dec 2008
J. A. Medd - See all my reviews
This is a challenging but fascination easy to read book. It is a glimpse into our world from a child's perspective. And is full of commonsense suggestions for parents, simply put and clearly explained on how to work towards achieving a happy, calm co-operative family. ("Health warning", don't aim to try all these ideas at once!) These suggestions are amusingly illustrated and backed up with personal anecdotes from parents who have found they work. I personally tried two or three of these ideas out this last week-end when looking after my two perpetually waring competitive grandsons aged 8 and 10. Every spat bar one was diffused and the result of their being asked how they would solve their own problems I can only describe as magical! After their departure my husband remarked how much better their behaviour had been this week-end! I cannot think of a better present for parents or challenging children alike this Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver, 23 July 2011
I am a mum of 4 spirited children and I must say I was at the end of my tether. I wanted to be a good mum but was losing sight of what was important. This book put me back on track and made me realize what my kids needs were. Really recommend this for anyone having any troubles with their kids! Well written with some comprehensive realistic strategies to become a better parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a one time challenging child, 20 Mar 2010
G. Carter "Gordon Carter" (Hove. UK) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:58 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing advice, 20 Feb 2013
I am an adopted Mother who came across this book whilst looking into 'the explosive child' which was recommended for my defiant 3 year old, I didn't go for that as I felt my child was not that extreme. How to calm a challenging child has turned things around for us, I am so enjoying the change the advice has resulted in, we are a much happier household. It has made me realise I was parenting in the style I was parented myself, whereas my daughter needs a different approach, she needs to feel she is in control over her life and that her feelings count rather than strict rules/the naughty step approach which we had been using more and more the naughtier she got. I found the 'mountain of anger' explanation and the simple cartoon examples gave me a clear understanding immediately. A good example is the advice on praising your child regularly in a descriptive way rather than just an absent minded 'well done', Our daughter has reacted brilliantly to this and has started doing it back to us! Also dealing with 'naughty' behaviour after the event rather than at the time in high emotion, this has been another great success, give it half an hour and casually mention it - we get a sorry and she understands straight away, before we would have had shouting and tantrums and a refusal to say sorry because we dealt with it angry. Can't recommend this book enough and have several friends waiting to borrow it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best parenting book I've ever read!!!! And I've read a few..., 30 Dec 2009
J. M. Bezzant (Solihull, England) - See all my reviews
I cannot recommend this book highly enough! If you have lively, spirited children, who are strong-willed and un-cooperative, please please read this book...it offers mountains of common sense (something I seem to have lost living with two highly-spirited sleepless children!) and such practical and easy-to-follow advice. A huge thank you to the author whose book is a life-line to parents of challenging children - I know our lives are going to be happier and more harmonious as a result of this book (and I haven't even finished it yet!) This is the best money I've ever spent and my family and I will reap the benefits of the advice from this book for many years to come.

6.99