5.0 out of 5 stars A must read
There is a vast amount of books available on fruit and veg growing, some offer reams and reams of horticultural theory while others are of the look at the pictures and throw away variety. This book I am pleased to say strikes a nice balance between inspirational photos and common sense advice.

After a short introduction we are shown three distinct sections:...
Published on 28 Jan 2009 by Foxylock

3.0 out of 5 stars too many unanswered questions
Got the book yesterday and am afraid to say: I am disappointed.

I am a total newbie to the vegetable-growing matter and expected from this book a littlebit (just a littlebit!) more information on the basics of gardening/growing vegetables - I have sooo many unanswered questions after having read through this book:

1. What types of soil/growing...
Published on 5 Mar 2010 by Anika Hinze

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: Grow Your Own Fruit and Veg in Plot, Pots or Growbags: The A-Z Guide to Growing and Cooking Farm-fresh Food (Paperback)

After a short introduction we are shown three distinct sections: Vegetables, herbs and fruit. Now I'll use the onion as an example of a section. First we get a brief description of the onion and its close family members, next we are told of some of the available varieties and their individual traits,we then move on to some growing tips which is broken into three categories : Sowing and planting, growing on and container growing. We then have the onion fact file which includes info on spacings, watering and what to do if your onions bolt ! Next we have a calender showing the sowing /planting time and also the harvest time. The next section is called in the kitchen and gives some useful tips on preparation,cooking,storage and freezing. This section is ended with info on the vitamins and antioxidants contained in an onion. Finally the section is wrapped up with a couple of recipes.

Although many of the recipes didn't appeal to me I found the information to be very valuable and clearly presented. If it's possible to pimp veg then this book manages it with amazingly rich photography. The growing tips are straight to the point and cuts out the bamboozlement contained in other books. Couple this with How to Store Your Garden Produce: The Key to Self-sufficiency by Piers Warren and you'll be well on the way to success. Best of luck !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bible!, 27 May 2009
The book is brilliant, i have refered to it time and time again. It is easy to understand and being a first time gardener have seen the fruits of my labour. If you do not have much space or are new to growing veggies, buy this book. In my first year of gardening i grew: Potatoes, parsnips, carrots, brocolli, sweetcorn, lettuce, rocket, spinach, tomatoes, garlic, peas, basil, scallop squash, marrows, courgettes, kale, dill, mint, corriander, thyme, kabocha squash, 4 types of chilli, watercress, radishes and all of it was fantastic and all grown in a small north facing garden - a garden that is shared with one large dog and 3 cats, so space really is at a premium. If i can do it, so can everyone else as i had been known to kill off cacti and other so-called 'easy to grow' plants.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beginners Review!!!, 4 April 2009
As a complete novice in any type of gardening and deciding for my first garden to make it mostly vegetables, this book has been a gem! Its easy to follow, talks through all vegetables seperately, and gives great tips and recipes for each vegetable too. Exactly what I needed to get me started and whenever Im unsure I can go back to it to check what Im doing!!

4.0 out of 5 stars New Gardener, 14 Sep 2009
This book is exactly what I needed as an inexperienced gardener to enable me to start growing my own vegetables and fruit. I don't have room for a vegetable plot and wanted advice on growing vegetables and fruit in pots/growbags,etc. All the information that I needed to get off to a flying start was included in this publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! doesn't come close enough for this book, 15 Jan 2010
A. Hanshaw (Oxfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
Superb book, I bought this as gift for 2 people, they both absolutely loved it and were amazed by the depth of whats included. Suggested varieties of plants, type of container to use, how to preserve your harvest, and some fabulous recipes,all in the same book! Will certainly buy again and would highly recommend for anyone wanting to grow your own in a small space.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential for any beginner or container grower, 6 Feb 2010
Joanne Dwyer (UK) - See all my reviews
For the last couple of years I have read different 'container/ growing' books to help me create the vegetable patch I need. Starting off small I felt that the books I had didn't really concentrate on container growing, and wanting to expand my crop this year, went in search of a new book. This is brilliant. Although it is also tailored to plots and gardens there is so much essential information on container growing. The only TINY drawback is that there is not a lot of information on the pests that attack crops, but there is information on what types of plants/ flowers are best grown together. This book has all you need for growing vegetables/ herbs/ fruit in a small space. The layout is simple: vegetables, herbs and fruit. It has a much needed glossary at the end (I am that inexperienced I sometimes do not know what certain terms mean and have found books in the past to assume I do). Each item in the book gives a description of the history, sowing, germination, planting, harvesting, sowing outdoors and in continers, plus what do do with it once it reaches your kitchen. It has recipes and even gives you the right size container to use for each crop. I would sum this book up by saying, 'if you are inexperienced it is a must, if you want to 'dabble' it is a must, if you have a patio or want to grow out of containers it is a must. Sad as it is, I have not yet put this book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book, 15 Oct 2009
I am quite experienced with vegs, and this is the greatest book I have ever seen. Compact, with precise information regarding most popular vegs, fruits and herbs. Got some really useful tips and can't wait for the spring - to start experimenting!

5.0 out of 5 stars somia forgham albatross holidays, 11 Aug 2009
Buy this book, excellent, quality and price both excellent, no need to look else where for a better book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban grower, 6 April 2010
J. Walker - See all my reviews
We have a smallish back garden in a city where the soil is probably not the best. We built a raised bed to house our tomatoes last year but want to grow far more products this year so looked to books to plan our growing for the summer. This book certainly helped and we are now germinating our seeds and our variety of vegetables will be much larger this year. Great for anyone planning their vegetable and fruit growing in a small space or for those that don't want to dig up the garden.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy!, 3 Aug 2010
I started a growing my first veggies this year, and as a keen beginner gardener, I couldn't wait till I got my own garden or allotment so I have started container growing and surprisingly its going really well! This book has been a helpful reference point and foundation to get you going, with a helpful growing calendar and the recipes are a very nice touch. I am successfully growing tomato's/ cucumber/ chillies/ rocket/ spinach/ beetroot/ salad leaves/ chives/ parsley/ sage and basil with leaves the size of my hand! I just decided to go for it and in large pots on the outside and inside or my window sills I have all this growing wild!! The book could probably do with a bit more detail in areas but I suppose its not meant to be a definitive guide.

I would recommend this book for anyone looking to start gardening with limited space!