Being the hippy child of an old hippy I'm an old hand at eating, or should that be eating fresh and seasonal food. Suprisingly though I'm very new to slow cooking and didn't really have a clue as to how or what to put into the pot apart from stew. I like stew - but not that much.

Published on 23 Jan. 2011 by Trickle

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have looked inside
Bit disappointed with the recipes, would rather have just ordinary plain food without the fussing and unusual combinations. There was a lot of preparation in some of the recipes, whereas I was looking for a lazy, no-fuss but tasty meal.
Published on 15 Jan. 2013 by Debra Rixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Slow Cooking - especially if you use a box scheme or grow your own, 23 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Slow Cooking Through the Seasons (Paperback)

This book is well set out, very easy to follow. Each chapter is given over to a month, so for seasonal food ideas you just find the month you are in and either pick from the list at the beggining or find a recipe from that chapter. There's no need to be purist if you don't want to, like having a full english for tea, no ones going to tell you not to.

This book is a perfect introduction to slow cooking, enough but not too much instruction on basic cooking techiniques and nice ideas as to what it's possible to cook in a slow cooker. It is great for people who eat seasonally already - and even better for those who want to, but arn't sure what to eat when. It combines some of the best ways to eat on a budget. Foods that are in season are always cheaper (and I think tastier as well) and the slow cooker also uses such little energy while it tenderises the cheapest cuts of meat.

I do a combination of growing my own and a have a veg box scheme delivered to me. I was a bit excited (yes I can be a bit sad about food) to see recipes for things I regularly get in my box but that don't usually appear in books or on supermarket shelves, like a recipie for jerusalem artichokes and one for kohlrabi.
Don't worry though there are also plenty of good ideas for the usual friendly traditional veg too - carrots, parsnips and potatoes, some as old favourites and some with a twist. There are some very yummy pudding ideas too, like bannana custards, or poached pears, these are delicious done in the slow cooker.

I would say that for a fair few number of the recipes it's very handy to have something you can blend with as well as the slowcooker. A food processor is fine - but a stick blender like Philips HR1363 Hand Blender with Beaker and Chopper Accessory makes life so much easier. Less mess, less washing up, and generally just get's your food on the table faster.

So if you have an interest in being green, saving money or both this is about the best way to eat yourself there that I have found. This book is a great little guidebook to help you along the way I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my favourite cook books, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Slow Cooking Through the Seasons (Paperback)
we are so lucky we can get everything in the supermarkets all year around but things do taste better when in season. I've loved being reminded what to try when. The recipes have all worked really well for me. one of my favourites (though I admit I can't remember which month which ingredient was listed) was the red thai beef curry - i had my whole family swooning over it. This book has inspired me to try all sorts of things in the slow cooker that wouldn't have otherwise crossed my mind; there are good stews & casseroles but many other things too.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cook book, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Slow Cooking Through the Seasons (Paperback)
great receipts and well set out and easy to follow.. colourful pages excellent for a gift and to own. ghreat

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have looked inside, 15 Jan. 2013
Debra Rixon (UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Get started, 28 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Slow Cooking Through the Seasons (Paperback)
This Slow Cooking series will provide a cheap and easy access to the wonders of slow cooking.

They are quite basic, with very few pictures and definitely not printed on deluxe paper, but for a few quids, think of them as an introduction to slow cooking. Some recipes are also copied from one volume to the next, with minor adjutments to the theme of the book. But on the whole, they are all fairly easy and fast to prepare, and most of them on a tight budget.

If you like the food, then you will most certainly get a bigger, thicker and better book. But for this price, you will get good value for your money here, and a great introduction to a fascinating world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Feb. 2015
Not quite what we expected. No where near as good as the curry & spice dishes book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Slow Cooking Through the Seasons (Paperback)
I love to know what is in season vegetables

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Slow Cooking Through the Seasons (Paperback)
We've tried many of the others in this series, and there aren't quite as many recipes in this book as there were in the others, particularly the spicy recipes which has been our mainstay for the last year!

Slow Cooking Through the Seasons
Slow Cooking Through the Seasons by Carolyn Humphries (Paperback - 29 April 2008)