4.0 out of 5 stars A great veggie's first slow cook book
I got a slow cooker for Christmas, having thought what a godsend it would be on those winter evenings to come home to a warming stew ... had some reservations about how many proper veggie slow cooker recipes were out there, and some specific questions like whether my fave veggie standby, Quorn, would slow cook OK.
This was the ideal book for those, like me, who are...
Published on 31 Jan 2010 by C. Franklin

3.0 out of 5 stars not a veggie author
Published on 9 Mar 2010 by S. A. Lockitt

4.0 out of 5 stars A great veggie's first slow cook book, 31 Jan 2010
C. Franklin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
This was the ideal book for those, like me, who are starting out on their slow cooking adventure, and just need a bit of info on 'how to...' etc plus a few interesting but easy recipes to get me started. It has a whole chapter on Quorn and tofu, as well as useful stuff like a conversion chart ('conventional' oven vs slow cooker high / low timings)and a bunch of stuff on ingredients (how to prepare, how suitable each is for slow cooking, etc). Certainly it was enough to get me going, and only loses one star for the lack of pics. I ordered another veggie slow cookbook at the same time - an american book containing lots of complicated instructions and many ingredients I'd never heard of. This one was by far the better of the two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book!, 10 Jan 2008
Panda (SW. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
I've rarely used my slow cooker in the past, except for beef chilli for my husband. I had limited expectations (although I don't know why), but this book has turned up trumps.
There's a whole mix of recipes (1-2 hours, 6hrs, savoury, sweet) and most include everyday ingredients that probably hit your shopping list anyway.
A few recipes;
Lentil Dhal with onion, cumin and garlic
Spicy Chick Peas in a a tomato sauce with rosemary
Vegetable Casserole with thyme and cheese dumplings
Spiced Couscous with apricots, feta and pine nuts
Butter Bean and Pasta Casserole with gremolata
Sticky Toffee Pudding

Some recipes require you to fiddle a fair bit but most recipes are a total breeze, and ideal for me who cooks vegetarian for herself and then has to cook a meat/fish meal for the husband.

Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deeeelishus!!!!!!!!!, 20 April 2009
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
My slow cooker was underused, because as a vegetarian I could find very few inspiring recipes. I bought this book on the strength of the previous review, and I have used it almost every day since. All the recipes so far have been enjoyable, and most have been superb. I prepare the ingredients the night before, bung @em in in the morning, and come home to tasty nosh. I only took a star off because there are no pictures, and I like to know what stuff should look like (what can I say? I'm a natural blonde!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A rose by any other name...., 6 Oct 2011
H. Cameron (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
I bought this book unaware that it was Real Food: Vegetarian Recipes for Your Slo-Cooker re-published under a new name. Luckily, I have lost my copy of that book so am more than happy to replace it, but I do think that Amazon should have put this information somewhere in the description as it does look totally different and has a different ISBN number.

That said, this is a really good, basic vegetarian slo-cooker book with some excellent recipes. The sister book, Real Food from Your Slow Cooker has been a staple for me for many years when cooking for carnivore friends and is the one book I recommend or buy for friends starting out on the slo-cooker road.

The ingredients are easy-to-find and the recipes easy-to-follow. A definite must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 27 Sep 2009
Wurzelgubbins (Southeast, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
My daughter is vegetarian, and a student, and she was looking for easy, imaginative recipes for her slow cooker. This book totally fits the bill - a wide variety or interesting and unusual dishes, where you can just throw the ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning and come back to a delicious dinner in the evening. You really can slow-cook for vegetarians, and this book shows you how.

4.0 out of 5 stars Haven't made a duff dish yet, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
This cookbook has a wide variety of dishes with ingredients that are easy to find in your local shop or supermarket. I was a bit surprised when I first flicked through it that most of the methods start off with frying some of the ingredients. I thought the whole point of a slow cooker was that you bung the ingredients in the cooker, then a few hours later your dinner's ready. The first recipe I tried out, I followed the instructions to the letter, but with all the ones I've tried out since, I didn't bother and just added everything to the cooker together without cooking anything first and everything's come out beautifully. The slow cooking really allows the flavours to come through. So far I've made the butterbean, tomato and artichoke soup, mushroom stroganoff, and the Thai green curry with Quorn and they've all been tasty and fab. I'm looking forward to trying more recipes from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world!, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
I was given a slow cooker for Christmas. As a life-long veggie I'd thought slow cookers were for meat - stews, joints etc. The recipe leaflet which came with it was 95% meat! This was the only book of vegetarian recipes I could find anywhere - and it's been fantastic! We've tried about twenty recipes so far and are using our slow cooker 2 or 3 times a week. They've all been delicious, instructions are good, ingredients aren't too exotic to find in the supermarket or too numerous that you just don't bother. Could do with a better index (eg all recipes with aubergine in rather than just those with aubergine in the title) and photos but overall this has opened up a new world of delicious, easy and mainly healthy meals. fantastic!

3.0 out of 5 stars not a veggie author, 9 Mar 2010
S. A. Lockitt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
This is a good basic book for veggie slow cooking and having tried several of the recipes I will say that they are very tasty. But having said this my problem with the book is that it has not been written by a vegetarian author and as a result the book is written almost apologetically as if it the best that could have been done without meat. I like my vegetarian cookery books to be written by someone who enjoys veggie food and writes as if vegiatarianism is the the only moral way of eating and not a second best option. But dont be put off by this as there are many tasty and easy to prepare meals here and many of them are low in fat or could be adjusted to be low fat if needed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Author clearly not a vegetarian, 17 Oct 2013
Recipe's are mundane and the author tells you what meat dish will go with some of the recipe's. I bought on impulse and wished I hadn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookery book, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
Very impressed, wide range of recipes. I didn't use my slow cooker very much before and now use it two or three times a week

Slow Cooking for Vegetarians
Slow Cooking for Vegetarians by Annette Yates (Paperback - 19 Oct 2007)
5.59