4.0 out of 5 stars A great veggie's first slow cook book
I got a slow cooker for Christmas, having thought what a godsend it would be on those winter evenings to come home to a warming stew ... had some reservations about how many proper veggie slow cooker recipes were out there, and some specific questions like whether my fave veggie standby, Quorn, would slow cook OK.
This was the ideal book for those, like me, who are...
Published on 31 Jan. 2010 by C. Franklin

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit bland
Published on 14 Jan. 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars A great veggie's first slow cook book, 31 Jan. 2010
C. Franklin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
This was the ideal book for those, like me, who are starting out on their slow cooking adventure, and just need a bit of info on 'how to...' etc plus a few interesting but easy recipes to get me started. It has a whole chapter on Quorn and tofu, as well as useful stuff like a conversion chart ('conventional' oven vs slow cooker high / low timings)and a bunch of stuff on ingredients (how to prepare, how suitable each is for slow cooking, etc). Certainly it was enough to get me going, and only loses one star for the lack of pics. I ordered another veggie slow cookbook at the same time - an american book containing lots of complicated instructions and many ingredients I'd never heard of. This one was by far the better of the two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book!, 10 Jan. 2008
Panda (SW. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
I've rarely used my slow cooker in the past, except for beef chilli for my husband. I had limited expectations (although I don't know why), but this book has turned up trumps.
There's a whole mix of recipes (1-2 hours, 6hrs, savoury, sweet) and most include everyday ingredients that probably hit your shopping list anyway.
A few recipes;
Lentil Dhal with onion, cumin and garlic
Spicy Chick Peas in a a tomato sauce with rosemary
Vegetable Casserole with thyme and cheese dumplings
Spiced Couscous with apricots, feta and pine nuts
Butter Bean and Pasta Casserole with gremolata
Sticky Toffee Pudding

Some recipes require you to fiddle a fair bit but most recipes are a total breeze, and ideal for me who cooks vegetarian for herself and then has to cook a meat/fish meal for the husband.

Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rose by any other name...., 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
I bought this book unaware that it was Real Food: Vegetarian Recipes for Your Slo-Cooker re-published under a new name. Luckily, I have lost my copy of that book so am more than happy to replace it, but I do think that Amazon should have put this information somewhere in the description as it does look totally different and has a different ISBN number.

That said, this is a really good, basic vegetarian slo-cooker book with some excellent recipes. The sister book, Real Food from Your Slow Cooker has been a staple for me for many years when cooking for carnivore friends and is the one book I recommend or buy for friends starting out on the slo-cooker road.

The ingredients are easy-to-find and the recipes easy-to-follow. A definite must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deeeelishus!!!!!!!!!, 20 April 2009
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
My slow cooker was underused, because as a vegetarian I could find very few inspiring recipes. I bought this book on the strength of the previous review, and I have used it almost every day since. All the recipes so far have been enjoyable, and most have been superb. I prepare the ingredients the night before, bung @em in in the morning, and come home to tasty nosh. I only took a star off because there are no pictures, and I like to know what stuff should look like (what can I say? I'm a natural blonde!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 27 Sept. 2009
Wurzelgubbins (Southeast, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
My daughter is vegetarian, and a student, and she was looking for easy, imaginative recipes for her slow cooker. This book totally fits the bill - a wide variety or interesting and unusual dishes, where you can just throw the ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning and come back to a delicious dinner in the evening. You really can slow-cook for vegetarians, and this book shows you how.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit bland, 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
Most of the recipes are fairly bland. I suppose this is because they have been kept relatively simple but if you like your food to taste of something then additional flavourings are required. It is also good as long as you have "High" and "Low" settings on your cooker. I have a Star Chef multicooker which does not come with High and Low settings so it difficult to know how these convert.

2.0 out of 5 stars 'Edible', 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
I have cooked about 5 of the main meal recipes since buying this book a week or two ago but have been disappointed with the results. The food has certainly been edible but bland, of less appetising consistency and would have been slightly embarrassing to serve to guests. As it was, just within the family, we shrugged and said it was 'alright' each time, and ate it all anyway. I thought i had found the book I was looking for, but no. I think I'll stick to the famous chefs, even though most of their recipes are not veggie, you're better off trying to adapt those I think. Not for people into their cooking, as another reviewer said.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a veggie author, 9 Mar. 2010
S. A. Lockitt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
This is a good basic book for veggie slow cooking and having tried several of the recipes I will say that they are very tasty. But having said this my problem with the book is that it has not been written by a vegetarian author and as a result the book is written almost apologetically as if it the best that could have been done without meat. I like my vegetarian cookery books to be written by someone who enjoys veggie food and writes as if vegiatarianism is the the only moral way of eating and not a second best option. But dont be put off by this as there are many tasty and easy to prepare meals here and many of them are low in fat or could be adjusted to be low fat if needed.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 29 Aug. 2014
Toby (Ware, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Was really after a book that gives me recipes that allow me to dump a load of ingredients in the slow cooker and come back 8 hours later. Too many require you to fry things before cooking, add things at points in the cooking. Having said that, there are some good ideas within it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 1 Jun. 2009
Mr. D. J. Pearce "Dave Pearce" (Market Rasen UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooking for Vegetarians (Paperback)
Great ideas for getting the best veggie meals from your slow cooker.
Excellent recipe for a slow cooked pasta sauce - best I've tasted

Slow Cooking for Vegetarians
Slow Cooking for Vegetarians by Annette Yates (Paperback - 19 Oct. 2007)