on 19 October 2008
I recently went to New York for the first time and this book went everywhere with me. I first opened it on the flight over and couldn't put it down. The street maps in the back and the subway map in the front were invaluable. The Brit Tips were especially useful and the section on 'what to see and do' prompted me to take the Gray Line Tours which were fantastic value and showed me so much more than I could have seen by myself. (Take the 'Night Loop' tour over to Brooklyn to view the Manhattan skyline at night - spectacular!) Even my British friend that I stayed with kept borrowing it from me, so it's now looking a bit worn. The street maps are clearly marked with all the attractions, buildings and places to see which really helped me to 'map out' an itinerary each day. If you're planning to visit New York for the first time, I'd highly recommend this guide - it's invaluable and worth every penny!
on 4 July 2008
I thought this book was great. Easy to read, very helpful and full of loads information that was really interesting. I really liked how much history the book covers, all about the makings off new york which alot of guide books dont go into. It wasnt untill i was on my trip to new york that i realised that the book has incorrect addresses in it!!! I was walking around trying to find the patricia field store (costume designer for sex and the city) the guide book claimed that the store was on 8th street between 5th ave and University place. Its actually 302 Bowery street. Unfortunatly because of this error I diddnt get chance to go to the store and was left thinking, what else in it was incorrect!