5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for your WF/GF Library!
I ordered this book from amazon at the same time I bought my breadmaker (a Panasonic SD252), and did so based upon the reviews of other breadmaker purchasers. I'd developed (very suddenly) a wheat intolerance not long before, and was scrambling rapidly to learn to bake without wheat, find some decent bread that didn't require a mortgage to buy a loaf (if you're wheat...
Published on 17 May 2006 by Amy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad
I was dianosed as a Coeliac very recently and having tried the store bought stuff I thought I'd try my own. I got the breadmaker (panasonic SD253) and, based on the reviews for this book, bought it.

I've had very mixed results. Some may think it's because of my novice bread-making skills, but I had my mother try some of the recipes I did and she got similar...
Published on 11 Mar. 2007 by Charlotte Hood-Fredriksen

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 6 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Real Food: Gluten-free Bread and Cakes from Your Breadmaker (Paperback)
This book is excellent. The recipes really work and are nothing like the dry dreadful bread found in health shops. I very often make the muesli loaf and it works out every time - guaranteed! I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous book, 11 April 2009
I bought this book after trying various other recipes and being less than happy with the results, I am an exprienced and enthusiastic cook so was dispointed at not being able to find a decent recipe. Along came this book and all my disapointments were yesterdays news. Every recipe I have tried has been a roaring success even my husband likes them. The different loaves are great tasting though nothing tastes like real wheat bread toasted but these loaves are a million times better than anything shop bought. I have also tried a number of the cakes recipes using both my breadmaker and a conventional oven for baking them and have been delighted with the finished result, they more than stand up against 'normal' cakes in every respect though a bit more crumbly but the taste is great. My only complaint is that the book is a bit fragile and is not standing up to contstant use as the pages are starting to come out I am therefore ordering another one as I would not like to be without this little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE, 21 Nov. 2009
Mrs. N. E. Mcintyre (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I would be lost without this book. In my eyes it is priceless. My son who is Autistic is now on a gluten free diet. I have heard a number of cases, where a gluten free diet has helped change autisium and aided in bringing them back into our world. My son, who has now been on this diet for 6 months is changing, it is almost a daily occurance where he has said or done something that he wouldn't normally say or do. Whether this is down to gluten free or just coincidence, I don't know, I do know that since being on it, HE HAS CHANGED. Buying this book and a breadmaker has changed his life, and it is something that the whole family is also enjoyng.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gluten free bread recipes, 28 Oct. 2009
D. O'Sullivan (Carlow, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my wife, who's a coeliac, together with a breadmaker. Generally v happy, it's comprehensive & good value, but the recipes are quite complicated & feature some hard to get ingredients

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor results when using another type of breakmaker, 14 Sept. 2009
C. Braddock "Carly" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to experiment with my posh new Kenwood bread maker, but the recipes I have tried so far produce generally poor results, despite experiments with quantities/programmes to accommodate the differences in my machine from the model used by the author.

The recipes which are 'dough only' (i.e. baked in my conventional oven) work well, but the loaf recipes (of which I've tried 4) consistently product flat, heavy loaves which do not knead or rise as successfully as the recipes that were provided with the machine.

The resultant bread had an uneven top, and an unpleasant yeasty taste. I'm very disappointed!

Would recommend to avoid this book if you do not have the bread maker used by the author (a Panasonic), and instead experiment with altering flours/ingredients in the gluten free recipes provided with your machine. If you have more time & resources than me to experiment with the recipes, then I'd love to hear from you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 4 Feb. 2009
Lana Phillips "lana1968" (South Wales.UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my father's partner for Christmas and she was over the moon with it. She has tried a few of the recipes, and so far is very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is it me?, 2 May 2009
Jane Foden (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this based on rave reviews and the need to eat something better than the hideously expensive wheat free 'bread' from the supermarket and healthfood shops.

I either found the resulting loaf too wet and sticky or so dry that it did not mix correctly. I even went to the expense of buying the specific breadmaker model that had been used in the recipe testing and still did not have good results. In fact the best loaf I made was from following the breadmaker's own recipe book for a loaf using Doves Farm wf flour!

I am reasonably intelligent and have been successfully hand baking cakes and cookies that my friends and family cannot tell are wheat and gluten (and dairy) free so I already knew the 'secret' of xanthan gum to replace the fluffiness in wf flour.

Save your cash is my recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wheat & Gluten free baking, 22 Jun. 2009
This is a brilliant book and I have managed to bake a loaf in my breadmaker that is worth eating. As bread is very difficult to make without wheat or gluten this book is great and it tastes quite good as well. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book thus far!, 30 Jun. 2011
I had bought another book that turned out to be completely useless. For this reason, I was sceptical upon ordering this one. The end result was like night and day.

The book needs basic ingredients for the most part (ie. GF flour blends rather than asking you to have rice flour, gram flour, potato flour and a million other things on hand). So far I've tried the banana bread, cheddar cheese loaf and tomato focaccia. All have been among the best gluten-free baking i've managed!

Definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 1 July 2009
B. Thomson (UK) - See all my reviews
Made a few things from this book & it's great to get bread that looks & tastes like bread instead of all that gluten free rubbish they sell in the supermarkets!

Real Food: Gluten-free Bread and Cakes from Your Breadmaker
Real Food: Gluten-free Bread and Cakes from Your Breadmaker by Carolyn Humphries (Paperback - 30 July 2004)
Used & New from: £0.78