5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for your WF/GF Library!
I ordered this book from amazon at the same time I bought my breadmaker (a Panasonic SD252), and did so based upon the reviews of other breadmaker purchasers. I'd developed (very suddenly) a wheat intolerance not long before, and was scrambling rapidly to learn to bake without wheat, find some decent bread that didn't require a mortgage to buy a loaf (if you're wheat...
Published on 17 May 2006 by Amy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad
I was dianosed as a Coeliac very recently and having tried the store bought stuff I thought I'd try my own. I got the breadmaker (panasonic SD253) and, based on the reviews for this book, bought it.

I've had very mixed results. Some may think it's because of my novice bread-making skills, but I had my mother try some of the recipes I did and she got similar...
Published on 11 Mar 2007 by Charlotte Hood-Fredriksen

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover!, 22 Jan 2009
This review is from: Real Food: Gluten-free Bread and Cakes from Your Breadmaker (Paperback)
Edited 02/10/2010
I have been gluten free baking now for several years and whilst the basic recipes in this book are good, improvements on flours and flour mixes have been many and varied over the last couple of years with so many more now available. Therefore, it would be my recommendation to use potato STARCH where the flour mix in this book calls for potato flour. You may find that the recipes will produce a much better result with the potato starch as it is not as heavy as the potato flour. However, this is still my favourite gluten free baking book (it was after all my first) and Ive made many of the recipes and found them all to work very well (by changing the ingredient as mentioned above). My absolute top favourite is the Focaccia. Its excellent! I usually take the basic recipes and make them by hand rather than going to all the trouble of loading up the breadmaker and they still work very well. If you want to use the breadmaker the results are definitely better because the machine gives the dough a more thorough 'kneading'. The other alternative is to make up the dough in a food mixer. This way you can make any shape or size loaves etc. you wish!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gluten free bread recipes, 28 Oct 2009
D. O'Sullivan (Carlow, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my wife, who's a coeliac, together with a breadmaker. Generally v happy, it's comprehensive & good value, but the recipes are quite complicated & feature some hard to get ingredients

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 4 Feb 2009
Lana Phillips "lana1968" (South Wales.UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my father's partner for Christmas and she was over the moon with it. She has tried a few of the recipes, and so far is very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE, 21 Nov 2009
Mrs. N. E. Mcintyre (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I would be lost without this book. In my eyes it is priceless. My son who is Autistic is now on a gluten free diet. I have heard a number of cases, where a gluten free diet has helped change autisium and aided in bringing them back into our world. My son, who has now been on this diet for 6 months is changing, it is almost a daily occurance where he has said or done something that he wouldn't normally say or do. Whether this is down to gluten free or just coincidence, I don't know, I do know that since being on it, HE HAS CHANGED. Buying this book and a breadmaker has changed his life, and it is something that the whole family is also enjoyng.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 1 July 2009
B. Thomson (UK) - See all my reviews
Made a few things from this book & it's great to get bread that looks & tastes like bread instead of all that gluten free rubbish they sell in the supermarkets!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wheat & Gluten free baking, 22 Jun 2009
This is a brilliant book and I have managed to bake a loaf in my breadmaker that is worth eating. As bread is very difficult to make without wheat or gluten this book is great and it tastes quite good as well. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous book, 11 April 2009
I bought this book after trying various other recipes and being less than happy with the results, I am an exprienced and enthusiastic cook so was dispointed at not being able to find a decent recipe. Along came this book and all my disapointments were yesterdays news. Every recipe I have tried has been a roaring success even my husband likes them. The different loaves are great tasting though nothing tastes like real wheat bread toasted but these loaves are a million times better than anything shop bought. I have also tried a number of the cakes recipes using both my breadmaker and a conventional oven for baking them and have been delighted with the finished result, they more than stand up against 'normal' cakes in every respect though a bit more crumbly but the taste is great. My only complaint is that the book is a bit fragile and is not standing up to contstant use as the pages are starting to come out I am therefore ordering another one as I would not like to be without this little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book thus far!, 30 Jun 2011
I had bought another book that turned out to be completely useless. For this reason, I was sceptical upon ordering this one. The end result was like night and day.

The book needs basic ingredients for the most part (ie. GF flour blends rather than asking you to have rice flour, gram flour, potato flour and a million other things on hand). So far I've tried the banana bread, cheddar cheese loaf and tomato focaccia. All have been among the best gluten-free baking i've managed!

Definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars loads of variety, good results..., 13 Oct 2009
H. Ruffell (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to experiment with different flours, just to make a change from wheat all the time. Very pleased with my purchase! Great selection of recipes, well explained. Have only tried a few so far, but very successful and enjoyed by all the family! Great book...

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor results when using another type of breakmaker, 14 Sep 2009
C. Braddock "Carly" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to experiment with my posh new Kenwood bread maker, but the recipes I have tried so far produce generally poor results, despite experiments with quantities/programmes to accommodate the differences in my machine from the model used by the author.

The recipes which are 'dough only' (i.e. baked in my conventional oven) work well, but the loaf recipes (of which I've tried 4) consistently product flat, heavy loaves which do not knead or rise as successfully as the recipes that were provided with the machine.

The resultant bread had an uneven top, and an unpleasant yeasty taste. I'm very disappointed!

Would recommend to avoid this book if you do not have the bread maker used by the author (a Panasonic), and instead experiment with altering flours/ingredients in the gluten free recipes provided with your machine. If you have more time & resources than me to experiment with the recipes, then I'd love to hear from you!

Real Food: Gluten-free Bread and Cakes from Your Breadmaker
Real Food: Gluten-free Bread and Cakes from Your Breadmaker by Carolyn Humphries (Paperback - 30 July 2004)
Used & New from: 3.53