5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the beginner!
Having just moved out of home, I had never needed to cook for myself before. But having had enough of frozen supermarket meals, I decided to try some cooking of my own. I found this book to the the perfect learning tool.

Published on 23 Jun. 2006 by April McMahon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for beginners!
I purchased this book for my 20yr old grand-daughter who is keen to produce her own meals from basic ingredients. Simple healthy, traditional dishes. The title of this book suggests just that. But it assumes too much knowledge and would overwhelm any novice. A cookery book that I will enjoy using, but not suitable for beginners.
Published on 9 Oct. 2009 by Mosaic dog

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the beginner!, 23 Jun. 2006
April McMahon (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes (Paperback)

Even if you're not just beginning to learn how to cook, this book is an essential. It gives some fantastic basic information such as making your own stock, hygiene, ingredients to always have stocked in your cupboard, planning meals and so much more.

I found the recipes very simple and clear to follow. Being a beginners book, this was really a necessity and it did the job perfectly. There are even recipes for things that I thought would be far too complex to make, but they make it sound so easy to prepare!

Definately a MUST HAVE for anyone who enjoys cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but sometimes confusing., 27 Sept. 2007
Mrs. D. L. Cox (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes (Paperback)
i like this book and i have made a few interesting and tasty things with it...however. some of the ingredients are hard to get hold of or they are named in a way that needs some detective work(pimiento caps was one that i eventually tracked down to a jar of sweet red peppers.) this is ok but a true beginner would get lost. that said though it's not often that happens.

soemtimes i feel the instructions aren't quite clear enough and i have had to read a couple of times to work out what i am meant to be doing. I am farely experienced with following recipes and have good food knowledge and have to say that a complete beginner would struggle with this and i would reccomend the dairy book of cookery or good houskeepings 101 cheap eats instead. a total novice may benefit from the river cottage family cook book.

my other gripe with this is the vegetarian section, nearly every veg dish is made with a meat substitute like quorn or tofu. we tried the spaghetti quolignaise and it was a waste of good ingredients!!!absolutely disgusting.

If you can take the time to work out confusing ingredients and sometimes hazy instructions then the results are pleasing! and there is a wealth of recipes to cover any need. I am still working with this book am not ready to pass it up yet so it must have some appeal despite the problems i have discovered.

another good point is that all ingredients and many terms have american terms next to them. if you have found some american recipes that you want to try then i have found that this book helps me decode them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Beginner's Guide Ever! :D, 21 July 2009
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes (Paperback)
Having had this book for a little under 2 weeks now I can say that its going to take me at least a year to get through all the recipes :P
It is really crammed. 1000's of recipes ranging in difficulty of really easy, to seemingly quite advanced.
However, all are described in a down to earth fashion allowing the absolute newbie to create wonderful food!

At the beginning and end of the book there are sections with detailed explanations on most culinary equipment, food types and even diagrams showing you how to correctly chop or prepare food types. These are especially useful if you have no idea what you are doing :P

I would highly recommend this book to anyone, be they; Very new to cooking or just wanting to extend their cooking library :D

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, 4 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes (Paperback)
Before i got this book i could cook pasta,eggs,toast,heat up frozen items, microwave ready meals and a 'stew' (can of minced beef with carrots and potatoes thrown in)that my boyfriend is NOT a fan of.It was a sad existence. Then i finally had enough money to buy some cookbooks from Amazon. The others i have scanned and discarded,because this book is much clearer and is the book i have been looking for all my life.

It has a list of 'Useful Equipment' and 'Useful Ingredients' so you have an idea before you attempt any recipes what you will need/should have already.

All those annoying (as in you have no idea what they mean) cooking terms are listed with an explanation at the beginning of the book.It's one of the reasons i have been put off recipe books in the past.I don't have time to google 'Braise' half way through cooking.This has them all explained from 'saute' to 'Broiling'(an american term). Then the book goes on to show you in both pictures and words how to chop vegetables,for example how to chop an onion to help stop you crying,which was very useful.

Another great thing is that in every recipe there are 2 or 3 types of measurement milliliters/pints/cups,so you just pick the one you have ,if you dont have a measuring jug then you can go for the cup option.You don't have to do any converting which is quite frankley blissful and makes cooking fun.Nor do you have to flick pages looking for converstions.

Anyhow to conclude my first review of anything online ...i have had this book for 3 months now and am still using it,my food shopping is cheaper as i can plan meals and buy fresh food,rather than frozen meals and yet more pasta sauce jars -Bleurgh! (Used to have 3 nights a week). And my boyfriend loves my cooking,he even made me some dishes! So yes if you want to learn how to cook for the first time ,then this is the book you are looking for! It's simple and straightforward and there is no patronising tone, like some books. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for beginners!, 9 Oct. 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!!, 22 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes (Paperback)
I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years, surviving on pizza & ready meals & have just started living with a meat-eater, what do i do??!! i bought this book a couple of months ago & already i need a replacement as mine is so dog-eared & covered in goodness knows what ingredients! It has a fabulous choice of tasty, easy to cook recipes that are cheap to make. Mine & my friends' favourites are the Oriental Tuna casserole & my boyfriend's is the Hungarian Goulash, and as he's half Hungarian i was so very proud to be able to make this for him, i didn't let on how easy it was!! It's also such excellent value for money it would be criminal not buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a beginner's book!, 30 April 2011
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes (Paperback)
I bought this book as a present for my Granddaughter who has just got her own flat and has no experience of cooking. I expected it to be a lot more basic than it was with more detailed instructions. I think the names of the recipes would have put her off, even though they aren't that complicated they sound quite 'posh'. Anyway, I decided to keep it myself and have found it invaluable. I recommend this book to anyone who is already familiar with basic cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1000 beginers recipes, 17 Dec. 2010
Fairly reasonable recipe book and as the title suggests it keeps them simple. For the recipes it keeps the ingredients concise and also the methods used. There is a good range of recipes there and is good for getting an idea of how to use different ingredients into a finished dish. There's a couple of nice tips for the beginner there as well. I did think though there could have been more in the recipes about how to observe when something had cooked right beyond just the timing though. I found a couple of the recipes that the timings were a little out and so a little cooking knowledge was helpful in this regard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy tips to learn hoe to cook, 5 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes (Paperback)
I love this book, i left my mam's 10 yrs ago and my husband done all the cooking so i never bothered to learn, now that we have seperated i have had to learn and this book is great it lives next to my cooker and gives me all the answers i need while cooking

5.0 out of 5 stars Master chef eat your heart out!, 1 Mar. 2005
Miss H L Belasco (Marlow, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes (Paperback)
This is a great all rounder. Plenty of recipes to suit every taste and best of all quick and simple to prepare no matter how many you are cooking for. I am a self proclaimed novice in the kitchen so when my Husband's family came round for lunch jokes were flying about what I would manage to come up with. But this Classic 1000 title soon bought about a change of tune and by the end of the day everyone was singing my praises. The beauty of the book is that the recipes seem sophisticated and a challenge at first glance... but actually they are very easy. The instructions are well ordered and laid out with enough detail to explain everything clearly for those of us who are not master chefs! I am now confident aabout my next venture and have bought 2 further titles in the Classic 1000 range, which have an equally user friendly format!

The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes
The Classic 1000 Beginners' Recipes by Carolyn Humphries (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2001)