4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 23 Feb. 2009 by Harassed Mum

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for.....
I have bought other books in this series and was happy with them which is when I wanted to try out more chinese recipes I thought about this book. Basically I wanted alot of snack or dim sum recipes and my family sometimes errs on being vegetarian at times,or just goes mad for chicken, so I thought instead of getting several books just go for this.

Firstly its...
Published on 8 Jan. 2011 by Mina

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
Bought two copies - one for each of my sons. Recipes basic and easy to follow. Successful meals prepared by 15 yr old, who has minimal kitchen skills. May be a bit on the repetitive side, but for anyone not being experienced in the kitchen it will inspire confidence. An overall good standard book to have on the shelf. Does not require hard to get "exotic" ingredients or complicated preparations. Will be enjoyed for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy eating, 20 Jun. 2008
F. A. Wood (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
Three weeks in China last year- lower cholesterol and no gastric reflux-so chefs hat on and 2/3 home cooked Chinese meals a week. Overall I have not been disappointed.First time round , stick religiously to the recipes (on those where some ingredients do not mysteriously disappear) - you will find some absolute gems. Some will require your intervention second time round to boost the taste, persevere, experience comes through. A wonderful addition to my library - and I am 74yo. Frank Wood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Nov. 2007
zztopbanana (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
This recipe book is a superb addition to anyone's culinary library - clearly not every recipe will suit every person but it is inconceivable that you would not find a significant number of useful recipes in here and even if you found just one nugget, then considering the price, it would be well worth it.

The variety of recipes in any of the 1000 series is simply staggering and there are quite a few vegetarian recipes here too - to say you are stuck for choice is an understatement.

Ok, so there are no photographs but against that, the books don't cost a fortune either and they are compact.

You really cannot go wrong with any of these recipe books and when you consider they cost little more than 1 issue of pretty much any food magazine, well, they truly are an absolute bargain.

Buy this one, buy them all - you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for....., 8 Jan. 2011
Mina (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)

Firstly its basically all the same sauce for a majority of the dishes, which is good that you don't have to buy alot of different ingredients but the dishes all taste the same, i.e about 800 dishes tasting similar. Secondly there are more pork and ham dishes than any other main ingredient such as chicken which is what I would have preferred, and alot of the other dishes contain pork or ham even the turnip soup!

The starters/appetisers section is a few pages long and has mainly prawn dishes which I found very disappointing. The Vegetable section is not a vegetarian section but means where vegeatbles are the main ingredient of a dish. I know that some may think that if I wanted a vegetarian selection then I should have got another book, but when a book has a 1000 recipes you would expect something decent in it. Dispite hunting through it which is very time consuming there is very little I would make from this.

2.0 out of 5 stars not very creative recipes, 28 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
This is a basic cookbook which takes one recipe for each dish and then changes the ingredients to make it work for chicken, pork, beef or fish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 5 May 2013
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
The first recipe I ever look at with a Chinese cookery book is for fried rice. If that passes muster (and contains no sesame oil) then ill take them seriously
This book suggests stirring in black treacle..... Ok, I won't hold that against them too much as I've bought the book already. I'll read through the recipes that I can make nicely and see how they do them
I think they had a plan, with the 1000 recipe idea, but many recipes look iffy. A pork soup made from pork, chicken stock and bean sprouts simmered for a while. Is that really a good soup? Bean sprouts only need a few secs to heat up or they go rubbery and flat. Looks like many of those 1000 recipes are there to fill space.
Some other recipes look pretty genuine and tasty. So if you're a Chinese food fanatic then I'd recommend this book if you can get it at reduced price.

5.0 out of 5 stars chinese recipes, 15 Jan. 2010
Mrs. J. Ashby - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
my husband wanted an easy guide cookbook. the recipes are so easy to do and a meal takes about ten minutes.he highly recomends this book.its fabulous and with so many recipes to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars chinese cook book, 27 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
As a man just the cook book I needed, wide variety and simple and easy to follow

3.0 out of 5 stars ... up never using or letting some ingredients go to waste., 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
Have cooked a few recipes from this book and have all tasted as you would hope the only problem is that unless you used this book every night due to the amount of ingredients to a recipe you would end up never using or letting some ingredients go to waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chinese Recipes, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes (Paperback)
I purchased this book in order to try something different for a change and I am surprised to say I have been more successfull than I had hoped and am very glad I took the plunge to try it. Easy to follow. Many thanks

The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes
The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes by Wendy Hobson (Paperback - 1 Feb. 2002)