Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

on 7 June 2006
This is the third Indian cookbook I've bought, and it has been rather inspiring. It contains the promised 1000 recipes, and there where a lot I had never heard of. If you want to learn about more than just curries, and maybe find out how to make Indian food without always making curries, it's just great. It has a lot of recipes such as Rasams, which are much lighter (curries tend to be greasy), and they are easy to make. How ever, one has to be very careful just following the text, not everything is worth cooking at all, and some things are rather absurd. I've had some annoying cooking mishaps using this book. Another almost unforgivable feature is that they must have reedited the book to fit the shopping possibilities of the west. Now, I don't mind adaptations, but it should be made clear when a substitute is used, and what the original is. F.ex. in the chutney section, the recipes calls for apples, but in the "how-to-do-it" text, it's mangoes. Very sloppy editing, and a silly idea (mangoes and apples are just not the same). Still I'm not sorry I bought it, with a little common sense in sorting, and a little prior knowledge of Indian cooking, it makes a good source of inspiration and often times a new way of using Indian without drowning in cholesterol.
VINE VOICEon 3 November 2003
Being born and brought up in Bombay has exposed me to a variety of Indian food.
This book has a list of almost everything I can think of that is made in India. Right from making different varieties of spices to all the preparations from north to south of India.
The book is divided into various sections for vegetarian, meat, fish, sweet dishes, etc.
I use this book a lot for making curries new to me and they turn out to be absolute yummy !
Even my mate - who is British makes great food with that book !
In short this book is highly recommended and should be a part of every food lover's kitchen...
on 19 May 2014
I've made 7 recipes so far and only one of them has been a beautiful result. (kashmirir rogan josh turns out beautifully)
I actually made two yesterday (pea dopazia) and (sweet and sour keema) there was no where NEAR enough spices in them to even create a gentle flavour. The dopazia one just smelled like yoghurt and onions. I followed the recipe exactly and had to add tons more spices and curry paste to make them remotely flavourful.

It just puts me off the recipes now...hmm.
on 29 March 2012
A superb book for anyone who wants to attempt authentic home-cooked Indian food, rather than greasy curry house offerings. I say 'attempt' since you won't learn techniques from this book; it just gives the ingredients.

The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because the book (or at least my copy) isn't particularly well bound. Mine's falling apart after less than a year. I guess at £6.29 something's got to give, but buy it anyway and look after it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 January 2015
This book was what started to change my curry cooking for the better, and there are a lot of good recipes in here.
My only issue with this book is that there are no photos and a lot of the recipes are actually repeated or indeed very, very similar.
When learning to cook "curry", it is important to learn from many different sources, as there are so many variations of each dish and cooking techniques can vary greatly.
The curry we usually make here generally doesn't even exist in India, but it is possible to make dishes that will blow you away using a mixture of traditionally Indian and non-traditionally Indian techniques.
Also check out the kindle book "Chilli Man's Spicy Cookbook - Indian" if you are interested in cooking good curries.
on 27 December 2010
arrived fast and has a great selection of authentic recipes which includes sides , breads ,starters ,snacks and indian desserts
on 15 July 2010
As per the complete range a good book for the kitchen. I would not hesitate on this one.

Bri
on 23 January 2012
Excellent introduction to Indian cooking. Well laid out recipes that work. I would recommend this book to anyone who is wanting to produce delicious dishes to serve to friends and family. i have used the recipes in this book time and again for guests and family with first class results. Highly recommended.
on 11 March 2016
I use this book all the time as the recipes always turn out well and are authentic - this is a replacement as my other copy is getting worn - this is my preferred indian recipe book

great service - good price
on 8 April 2010
Having never cooked my own Indian Food, I found this book easy to follow, with loads of ideas!!