5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to try/like using a slow cooker - buy this!
First let me say that I have lots of cookbooks and this is the only review I have been tempted to write. After owning a small slow cooker when I was single I recently decided to use one again and buy a larger one to use for me and hubby!
Published on 13 Oct 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to slow-cooking
Published on 24 Oct 2009 by Bluebell

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to try/like using a slow cooker - buy this!, 13 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
This book has rekindled my love of them. It provides lots of inspiration. It has sections on Soups eg Butter Bean and Tomato, Starters eg Farmhouse Pate, Sauces eg Sweet and Sour, Vegetables eg Cheese Stuffed Onions and Pulses eg Persian Rice or Spiced Vegetables and Barley, Fish, Meat, Puddings and Desserts eg Gingerbread, Chocolate Sponge and last but not least Rice Pudding (delicious). It also has a few misc such as recipes for stock, chutney, jam, lemon curd and mulled wine.
I have made countless things from this book and have found the recipes to be spot on and easy to increase/decrease. I could go on and on. But suffice to say for £7 its definately worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world!, 10 Nov 2005
Beverley Jeal (Maidstone, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
After much badgering by my friend, I recently gave in and purchased my first slow cooker. I started using it for the usual beef stew, chicken casserole etc but wanted more variety.
I trawled bookshops for a recipe book and stumbled on this one. Being a novice, the first section ‘General Hints & Tips’ was very useful. What further convinced me to buy it was that most of the ingredients are either what you would already have in the cupboard or are readily available in the supermarket. Also, the measurements are given in metric, imperial as well as American (cups etc) so no need to convert. The instructions are clear and simple – very easy to follow.
There are some great traditional recipes such as French Onion Soup, Somerset Bacon Hotpot, Beef in Brown Ale, Cock au Vin etc, and some really tasty new ideas (for me anyway) - Chicken & Tarragon (delicious), Mexican Chicken, Malay Spiced Pork….
Also, it has been a real eye opener as to what you can use your slow cooker for – it would never have occurred to me to use it for: whole joints, fish, paella, curry, pate, crème caramel, sponges (can’t wait to try the Rhubarb and Almond Sponge and the Pineapple Upside-down Sponge).
My friend (the slow cooker expert) has also fallen in love with this book, so it’s not just for us beginners. I have many cook books which I only use for two or three recipes but I this one has so many that I want to try, it’s not going to sit on the shelf and gather dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars The English Crockpot - great book!, 10 Feb 2003
Ms. K. S. Wilcox "poledragon" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
This book is for anyone who's fed up with only cooking stews in their slo-cookers, or has trolled the net looking for crockpot recipes with English ingredients they can understand and find.
It covers a whole variety of different recipes, from roasting legs of lamb, steaming puddings and cooking whole chickens, to making lemon curd, soups, curry, half a dozen different chicken casseroles and a batch of different sauces. There's even instructions on how to use your slo-cooker/crockpot to make mulled wine. :)
Annette Yates also gives serving suggestions for things that go well with her dishes. Easy-to-follow recipes, with some lovely colour photographs (but not too many - she doesn't try to fill empty space with pictures which is a novelty!) make this an excellent cookbook, one that will actually be used, instead of just read and left on the shelf like so many others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first book, 15 Jan 2008
Teefer Tiger "TeeferTiger" (Conwy County, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
I wish I'd bought this book first because it's exactly what I was looking for. There are some "normal" recipes in there that you are likely to actually eat and not have to spend 5 hours first preparing everything which kinda defeats the whole point of having a slow cooker!

Obviously there is some preparation involved (which you have to do with the meat first anyway!) and some more pics would have been nice but I find sometimes no pics are better so I'm not comparing the mess I've just made to the pristine example in the book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best slow cooker cookery book, 24 Oct 2008
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
I own quite a few slow cooker cookery books and this one is by far the best. The recipes are easy to follow and taste wonderful. These recipes, unlike some in other books, have minimal preparation and can be left for the entire cooking time without requiring ingredients to be added half way though (which kind of defeats the object of a slow cooker in my opinion). I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes to make the most of their slow cooker.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to slow-cooking, 24 Oct 2009
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
I'm a devotee of slow-cooking and have three sizes of slow-cooker to suit different recipes. I was tempted to buy this book because of the glowing reviews from other cooks. I would say that this book is a good introduction to slow-cooking but it doesn't stand out from other similar books except that it's very reasonably priced. I liked the presentation of the written recipes: nice type-face and good-sized print but think the small number of photographs, which are not adjacent to the corresponding written text, look more like a cook-book from the 50s or 60s.

There's a good range of recipes but I would question the assertion that every dish has to have some liquid: I roast duck legs, lamb hocks, rolled shoulder of lamb or pork and beef back ribs without any liquid, only a little fat that I browned the meat in, and get succulent, very tender meat.

I thought the recipes needed more advice about the size of slow-cooker that would suit the volume of ingredients, especially for the puddings that are to be cooked directly in the slow-cooker ceramic pot. Slow-cookers vary in size from about 1.5 litres to 6.5 litres and a sponge pudding cooked directly in the former would differ from one in the latter as the dimensions are so different.

The nothing much wrong with this recipe book but it doesn't inspire me particularly. Catherine Atkinson's "The Slow Cooker Cookbook" has much more inspiring photographs, but is more expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow Cooker recipes, 30 Mar 2009
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
I wanted a basic book to get me started and this is just right. Nothing is too complicated and although I have been using a slow cooker for many years without a recipe guide, I was only making casseroles and knew I was missing out. The book has easy tips and is clearly laid out. I had never used the cooker to make desserts or sauces and this book covers those that I am most likely to use. I am not a 'fancy' cook and being busy during the day I find this book has helped me explore some more exciting dishes which are going down well with the family.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book for a slow cooker, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
This book is great, it has all the recipes you need from meat free to lots with meat.
It has everything you need to cook a great meal and the best bit is it even has a recipe to cook a whole chicken which i wouldnt have done before but following the easy instructions I cooked it and my family loved it so would well recommend.
It is very well illistrated and has quite a few pictures in it with the differetn dishes so perfect if you want to know what the outcome will look like.
The reason i took away one star was because i would say it could do with a few more recipes that can be cooked on high for when you arent away all day but overall a very good book that i would recommend highly

5.0 out of 5 stars slo cooker recipe book, 13 Jun 2009
DJ Lynch (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
I love to cook and have many recipe books on my shelf. This is by far the most used book I have, the recipes are easy, tasty, and there are hardly any recipes in it that I wouldn't make, which has made this book invaluable. when we've cooked for friends and family from it, all have asked for the recipe and have gone and purchased the book. highy recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners!, 17 May 2009
Mrs. M. Butterfield "maz372" (Redhill,Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker (Paperback)
Having initially made the mistake of buying a slow cooker recipe book with only american measures I have been extremely impressed with this one. It is easy to follow and all the recipes I have tried have received lots of praise from those eating them. The book has a very useful section at the beginning with lots of tips about slow cooking. It has really helped me gain more confidence with using my slow cooker.

New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker
New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker by Annette Yates (Paperback - 14 Nov 2001)