5.0 out of 5 stars Bert Weedon's "Play in a Day."
Bought an "original" copy Bert Weedon's Play in a Day: Guide to Modern Guitar Playing (Guitar)in 1964 and never looked back! I bought this latest edition to assist with tutoring, I was very pleased to see that except for updated photos & biography the contents remained the same. A classic for the guitar beginner.
Published on 23 May 2010 by R. Hutton

3.0 out of 5 stars Bert Weedon's Play in a Dat
Published on 5 Aug 2011 by Cedy B

5.0 out of 5 stars Bert Weedon's "Play in a Day.", 23 May 2010
R. Hutton "Tio Russ" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bert Weedon's Play in a Day: Guide to Modern Guitar Playing (Guitar) (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bert Weedon's Play in a Dat, 5 Aug 2011
i am a beginner so thought this book would set me off with some enthusiasm to keep going. This is not really a book for the beginner. It gets too serious and technical to early. The tune you get to play in a day is 'Bobby Shaftoe' on page 10 and 11. Pages 16 and 17 are also quite instructive for the beginner with 'Jingle Bells' and 'Drink to me only'. This book would have been better constructed for the beginner had the pages mentioned been from page 3 with the scales next. Then on to 'When the Saints come marching in'. With the ability to play the three tunes mentioned and the knowledge of how to play the cords the going on to the 'Rudiments of Music' would in my opinion been more instructive for the beginner. This book is not a good buy for the beginner. It is bought ( as I did ) with the phrase 'PLAY IN A DAY' as the selling point. There are many other better ways to start such as via the Guitar lessons for the beginner on Google which are free. My practical suggestion to the beginner would be to start via Google.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Sep 2009
N. Creer "Literary buff" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This is a must for anyone who wants to learn the guitar from scratch. I have been using it for a few weeks now and I must say I am very impressed. Bert Weedon has a high reputation and this shows in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars As iconic as Bert himself - and just as influential, 18 April 2009
A. J. Sturgess "Alan Sturgess" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
(This review is based upon my own copy bought in the early 1960's, since which time the book may well have been updated, but it has never been out of print. That fact alone says a great deal).

A previous reviewer is right to say that this book lacks TAB and requires readers to learn to read music, but therein lies one of its enduring strengths. Bert's book may be old fashioned by modern standards, but it progresses slowly and smoothly through all the rudimentary stages of learning to read music and to associate notation with positions on the fretboard.

The book is also unusual in that it is specifically designed for would-be guitarists who are teaching themselves to play plectrum style guitar. The fact that so many of today's most influential guitarists credit Bert and this book with having inspired and guided them is testament alone to the longevity and popularity of both in the eye of both public and modern musicians. Although rhythm playing is featured (and remember that in his early days, Bert was both a soloist and rhythm guitarist in several big bands), the main focus of the book is upon plectrum-based melody playing.

'Play in a day' doesn't spoon-feed the reader. It assumes both intelligence and a willingness to persevere but is nonetheless clear, written in mostly jargon-free language, isn't condescending and it lacks all traces of flashiness and trendiness. In short - it's a classic, which is why it has remained on the bookshelves and has retained its standing as a bestseller for over 40 years.

Also worth trying to find is the rarely-mentioned follow-up book that Bert wrote called 'Play every day', which is just as good and which covers some of the more advanced stages and styles of solo guitar playing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bert Weedons Play in a Day, 29 May 2009
Alan Mash (Rye, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
Too many years ago to rememeber I learnt how to play guitar using Bert Weedons "Play in a Day" guide. I found it excellent for the absolute beginner and a very useful aid for the more experienced musician. I have now purchased it for my Great Niece who is embarking on Her guitaring career.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing beginners guide to guitar playing., 9 Dec 2001
This is the "man who taught the world to play the guitar". The book starts off by teaching you the basic from holding and tuning the guitar. He starts off with showing you some basic chords and then how to read music. He uses popular well know songs for you to practice on. Everything you need to know about playing the guitar is here.
Even if you do not want to be able to read music this is still a good book to practise your guitar skills on. It has helped me greatly and is making me into a better guitar player.
Can he help you play the guitar in just one day? The answer is yes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Famous Book, 28 April 2012
Famous book. The attraction of learning guitar in a day! Whow! I tried to learn to play with this book 40 years ago and it still doesn't do what it says on the tin. You need at least piano grade 6 to use this book. It would take weeks to learn to read music well enough for this to be practical. I tried it again hoping that my more mature years would allow me to understand it better but I can't see me persevering with it. I have to accept that I'm not much good with the guitar but there are lots of modern guitar tutors far better than this for idiots like me! Bert Weedon was great but I still don't find his book to be of any use.

1.0 out of 5 stars rock hard, 17 Feb 2013
I cannot for the life of me understand how 28 people could genuinely rate this book 5/5. Many of the reviews look like plants by the publisher. For the beginner, you learn one or two simple tunes and then are presented with 4 pages of scales to 'master'. In 1957 this might have been acceptable for a tutor to say but it's a bad joke now. It feels as if Bert (RIP) then takes a 4-month holiday and leaves you and your calluses to it. After that the sight of diminished and augmented chords has me fearing the challenge is too enormous. It has the basics I suppose but as a tutor has zero empathy and makes me despair.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little Outdated, 12 April 2011
Nostalgia drew me to this book, but I needn't have troubled myself. As they say - you can't go back. Back then it was great (seem to remember a longer book) as we didn't have as much easily available. These days there are all kinds of teaching aids available. It was a shame that the current publication seemed to be a clipped version of the original (maybe that's my memory!)and that the opportunity was not taken in Bert Weedon's name to update the content more fully. I do appreciate that Bert is not in the forefront of many young people's minds, but a lost opportunity to bring back a great guitarist and character.

2.0 out of 5 stars TOO ADVANCED, 28 April 2012
IF YOU WANT TO BEGIN PLAYING GUITAR THIS ISN'T THE BOOK FOR YOU. IF YOU'VE BEEN LEARNING TO PLAY FOR 6 MONTHS OR SO, AND HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING, THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD BUY A COPY. SLIM BOOK BUT LOADS OF INFORMATION.

Bert Weedon's Play in a Day: Guide to Modern Guitar Playing (Guitar)