Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 February 2015
This is a very good book of simple arrangements for the piano, well written with the beginner in mind. My pupils all seem to find something they enjoy, as there are plenty of well known tunes, and it is clear and easy to read.
Unlike some of the other reviewers, I do think this book is suitable for more able pre- grade 1 pupils, and I appreciate the simple layout. In my opinion, preferable to some of Pauline Hall's books, which tend to be rather fussy, with lots of separate hand exercises and puzzles taking up space. Recommended.
on 28 January 2013
I bought this, having listened to the CD accompanying the exam pieces book and finding more music. This contains one of the alternative pieces for grade 1 piano. I prefer this piece to the relevant selection in the basic book, so for me it is a good buy.
on 21 February 2016
I am a piano teacher and bought this book for a pre-grade 1 student. In my opinion, the first 5 pieces are pre- grade 1, then there are about 5 or 6 grade 1 standard pieces with the remaining 4 being post grade 1 ( approximately). This in itself is not a bad thing, but for me I didn't really enjoy the arrangements. I think there are other low level ( grade 1) books of arrangements of classical pieces, which feel truer to the original.
on 16 May 2012
I bought this book for a beginner piano pupil as it says that the standard is Grades 0-1. I am very familiar with the grade system and in my opinion, most of these pieces are too difficult to be considered below grade 1 level. It would be more fair to say that it is for Grade 1 standard players.
Also, the arrangements of the pieces weren't great. Of course I knew that these famous classical pieces would have to be simplified in order to be suitable for beginners, but often the simplified arrangement has missed the essential character of the original and the result is perhaps a bit uninspiring for the student.
on 23 October 2013
This is a beautifully presented item with the necessary selection of tunes for this level of music grades. It will stand the test of time as the quality of paper and cover used is excellent.
on 22 December 2014
great quality book with familiar pieces of music made simple. i would argue this is more grade 1 plus level.