5.0 out of 5 stars By far best saxophone tutorial book on the market
I'd been thinking of taking up the saxophone for a number of years, but every time I went and looked for a tutorial book, I was put off by pages and pages of music scores and repetitive exercises.
Published on 13 Feb 2008 by swfc

3.0 out of 5 stars some where in the middle..
If you know nothing about music, it's is for you. If you are considering self study, this book is definitely not the best; its geared toward group play, not solo. Having said that, it does have some redeeming features.

Published on 13 Jun 2011 by Mr. Bj Mcculloch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars By far best saxophone tutorial book on the market, 13 Feb 2008
swfc (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
When I found this, it was a real breath of fresh air. The book strikes a tone which acknowledges you are a relative beginner, but without resorting to a condescending tone.

The material is great, with a mixture of famous tunes and some original songs to learn to play.

The other really good thing about this particular book is that it tallies well with the pieces you need to play to take a grade (exam) in the sax. It meant that when I was taking my grade 3, I didn't have to go out and buy additional material to prepare.

I've now completed the book, and have fulfilled my goal of beginning to play the saxophone. I'm now planning to get another book by Hampton, with more advanced repertoire.

3.0 out of 5 stars some where in the middle.., 13 Jun 2011
Mr. Bj Mcculloch "BZ" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)

At the back of the book is a comprehensive fingering chart. The lessons progress from having no experience of playing music to popular beginner level music; Theme from Red Dwarf, Men Behaving Badly and Beethoven's 7th.

Knowing a little about music, I found this book un-challenging. However, I find myself returning to this book. Its nice to have for the assurance of the fingering chart, or to use the songs for warmup exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars very very good book, 25 April 2010
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
Bought this book for my saxophone lessons (already had a new tune a day, and complete beginners)
and this is by far the best!

It's got some very good music in it, the pages are uncluttered, and it isn't a scary book (if you get my drift)

The CD isn't very good (as it is more backings, and not demos) - but it doesn't really matter!

Plenty of different genres, and the exercises are done in such a way it feels like you are playing a song more then an exercise:-)

my only problem now is i have come to the end of the book... and need to find the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 27 Jan 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
I have been doing saxophone for 2 months and I am only 11 but I already know 6 notes fluntely and can play lots of songs! if you want to take up saxophone chose this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars gr8 book, 21 Mar 2009
T. Staite "TBT1953" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
this book is excellent for beginners. I am 55 and on a whim bought a sax because I have always liked the sound - I bought this book and have managed to play 'the hovis tune' in three weeks. I am amazed. It tells you all you need to know in clear fun ways so that it is not a drudge to learn - you do one page and want to continue to the next. I would recommend for anyone. There is a cd so if you are really clever you can play the sax bits to the background music - sounds really good and inspires you to learn the next bit. Also you can go back and revise and it is still fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 6 April 2011
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
I have found this book to be very good. I especially liked the fingering chart which is clear and very easy to follow. There are a lot of simple pieces to play that help build your confidence as a novice but it does make the assumption that you will have a teacher for further guidance and to play the piano parts. The CD gave some great examples to listen to but did not relate to the book very well.
Overall the good points of the book outweighed the negative areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars ideal if you are new to reading music, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
Yea this book is very good, 4 weeks I have had my Alto Sax, and I have never looked at music in away to be able read music, then to my surprise I could play simple tunes. I am on page 41 and most of the tunes I can play so far. I have learned the notes and know also where to place my fingers. I chose at the start not to use the CD, as for me I had to get my head around learning the notes and how to play them first. Over the past two days only I have put the CD in and although I know the notes the music put me right off. However with practice I got use to it for some songs like This land is my land and it does make me sound better playing along side the music.
You do have to have I am not giving up attitude, else when playing with the music it can put you off. Since I have had my sax I do practice every day for a min of 1 hour 45 mins, and have had so far 3 half hour professional sax lessons.
The book is a great help, my advice stick to the book all the way through before buying lots of other music books, as they will only blow your mind if you are only just starting out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Accompanying CD with no demos, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
This is not the best product on the market at all!

Though the book is nicely designed with good print in it and some fun cartoons and also some good tunes (but not enough well known tunes in my view which is what beginners really want), the CD accompanying this does not have demos of how the sax part should sound - just backing (piano playing something different to what you should play, not playing the sax melody, or even worse another sax doing something else entirely to the sheet music that YOU should play, all VERY confusing unless you already have some musical competence!), which makes it very hard for the beginner (or even intermediate) to play along in time to or be sure they are doing it correctly.

A basic book should not be this hard, it also seems to make some big leaps between the stages. THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED then for that reason. The only plus point of this book, (and possibly why it sells so well?) is it contains actual grade material for ABSRM exams, Grades 1-2.

The Complete Saxophone Player by Raphael Semmes is much better material and backing for someone wanting to learn and enjoy it and I can recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars sax basics, 18 May 2010
A. J. holland "ruby holland" (Staffordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
very useful book if your child is learning this instrument, very easy to look at & read.

5.0 out of 5 stars it is clear and easy to, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book (Paperback)
Told by my tutor to get this, it is clear and easy to follow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book
Saxophone Basics Book and CD: Pupil's Book by Andy Hampton (Paperback - 1 Sep 2006)
6.99