5.0 out of 5 stars Good starter
Published on 2 Aug 2010 by S. Allen

2.0 out of 5 stars Too difficult
I was an absolute beginner. Only managed to get to section 5. The main problem is that the level of difficulty increases very rapidly. Added to this the songs are relatively unknown, and the CD is useless. I had thought that the CD would just be the songs as they are supposed to be played, but instead it's some beats that are supposed to accompany your playing. So you...
Published 5 months ago by J. Baptiste

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starter, 2 Aug 2010
S. Allen (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Never Too Late to Play Piano (Tutor book with CD) (Paperback)
I am quite impressed with this book. Having had lessons many years ago and even then not very good at playing reading music, this book reminded me of what I needed to relearn and practice. It has some pieces that are familiar so you can get back into it more easily. I have not listened to the CD yet just played out of the book. I will be buying more of these books. I am an OAP who has to struggle to make both hands work in diffent times but I am hoping with practice I may yet get there. Has been fun trying anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, fun book to work with..., 26 July 2009
I have purchased this book last month and at first like some customers was confused with the CD. CD won't show you how the exercises should be played it serves a purpose of accompaniment, so that easy exercises in the beggining are not boring to play! It is actually fun playing together with the CD! Even my housemates are having fun(although they are not the ones playing!) However, I do believe for the first 4 lessons you can download examples of the exercises from author's webpage(sorry if I'm wrong about this I haven't actually used this option) but you will be fine with the exercises if you have a metronome(many keyboards have one build in) if you don't I would suggest to buy one! It would be a great help with your practice and getting your whole, minim and crotchet notes right, as well as helping to improve your speed.
The book itself is also very good. It progresses logicly in my opinion from the very begining. At first author explains about notes and their lengths, time signatures and the notes themselves. This book doesn't rush and explains one thing at a time, in small chunks so that theory is taken in almost on "as you go" basis. At the same time theory doesn't take much space and you have lots of practice exercises!So you do actually play unlike some books.
First lesson focuses on your right hand, second lesson on your left and lesson three on both hands together. Further lesson bring in new notes and techniques. (By the end of lesson 1 and 2 you will be using five notes on treble clef and 5 on the bass clef, adding new notes in further lessons)
I would greatly recommend this book to any begginer keyboard player! You'll enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars 60+ and never to late, 27 Oct 2011
C. Merrick - See all my reviews
This is an great book very well laid out from start to finish, you need to start at the beginning and work through all the exercises to get the best out of the book. I am 60+ and enjoying every moment of learning to play. I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic piano tuition - all you need to know to get you started., 31 Dec 2008
This is a great book - as long as you go through every section and don't be tempted to jump ahead to the more exciting stuff, you will be reading music and knocking out simple tunes in no time. I learned to play basic piano when I was about 11 and 30 years later, having forgotten absolutely everything, found this book ideal. It tells you everything you need to know and tests you from time to time to check you're paying attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for adult learners, 30 Sep 2010
S. Oakley - See all my reviews
I started the piano aged 40 and bought this book after enjoying some extracts from it in a free Guardian guide. As others have said already, it's just brilliant! The best thing about it is the excellent choice of pieces to play. As my piano teacher pointed out, many beginner books are oriented to children and the pieces are chosen accordingly. This book has a good selection of classical and popular - even some of the simple ones are very pretty to play and you don't get tired of hearing them (also easier for others listening in to your practise!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Making progress, 28 Feb 2011
Kieran Evans (Surrey,UK) - See all my reviews
I Like this book, it is what I was looking for. I started to learn the piano when I was 16, but gave up for "better" things in my life. I have always regretted it and now having helped my 7 year old daughter with her starting the piano and bought a keyboard for us to use I thought I would have a go again. I found I could learn some moderate pieces of music with a lot of practice and then play them from memory, but wanted to be able to develop my music reading better.

This book has helped me achieve this, by working through much simpler pieces I am learning to translate the music I see to keyboard better and actually read as I play rather than just playing from memory and looking at the keyboard all the time which is what I was doing before. I have worked through the first 5 units and made a lot of progress. It will be a long road to the end of the book, but I think I will get there in the end.

Don't expect easy results - I know it has been said before, but I'll say it again, the way to get better is practice, practice and more practice. I try to spend 15 minutes every day working my way through the book, by chipping away like this I am gradually getting better.

There is a CD with the book but I share the sentiments of one other reviewer on this which is "Eh ?" . I don't get the CD at all. It provides accompaniments which bear little resemblance to the tunes on the page (I may not be a master player, but I'm not tHat bad). It would be far more useful if the CD simply played the tunes in question straight as they appear on the page - just to give the player an idea what they are aiming for. But they don't do this, they are just to accompany it. They are played at full speed - frankly by the time I have mastered a piece well enough to play it at full speed I want to move on to the next one and so have no use for such accompaniment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, highly recommended, 5 Feb 2013
P. A. Power "Paul" (Chichester, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book at the beginning of August 2012 as I've always wanted to play the piano.

I had lessons over 40 years ago, but decided back then it wasn't for me, much to the disappointment of my late mother who played the piano beautifully.

So, when a friend's daughter's keyboard came up for sale, I bought it and sought out a self-teaching book, and having read through the reviews, choose Pam's

I've worked through the book, pretty much bit by bit mastering and practicing the pieces which become increasingly complex and more challenging as you go on.

Like anything that's worthwhile, you have to work at it and be prepared to practice regularly.

One of my goal's was to learn how to play some of my piano favourites, including I Giorni, from Ludovico Einaudi along with a number of other pieces from his Island's album. I also wanted a number of pieces from Phil Coulter's classic hits - eg, Steal Away, The Old Man and so on.

Anyway, in January this year, I achieved my goals and can now play these pieces. I'm working now on some new pieces.

I'd promised myself if I did succeed, I'd buy myself a better piano, and recently purchased a Yamaha P35 electric Piano which really is a joy to play and listen to.

I can highly recommend Pam's book - But, and here's the but, you really have to be prepared to sit down and put the time into practice, give your fingers time to learn to stretch and also learn how to really listen to music. Not just passive listening,but really listen to the rhythm and pace.

I've still a long way to go as I want to keep improving. I've got some more advanced books now, but I must say none of them have the friendly feel that Pam's had.

Many thanks, Pam for a wonderful book, delightful instructions and helpful advice.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 6 Mar 2009
TD (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Book is great! I have a fantastic Piano teacher and we are working through it together, but the CD is useless, I want to know what I should sound like and sometimes I'm not sure it's even the same track!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fifty years on...., 6 Feb 2012
I was told when I refused to have any more piano lessons 50 years ago that I'd regret it later. Well, eventually I did! This book has proved just right to help me get going again - clear, straightforward, and fun. None of the boring scales I remember from childhood, and lovely simple arrangements of traditional tunes and popular classics. My only wish is that the CD contained examples of what the music is actually supposed to sound like, rather than just backing tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 30 Jun 2010
An excellent book for adult beginners. I have various books but keep struggling with them and reverting back to this one all the time. It is easy to understand and follow and moves you on at a good pace. I was playing what sounded like great music within the first few weeks. Highly recommended. Haven't found much use for the cd though.

It's Never Too Late to Play Piano (Tutor book with CD)
It's Never Too Late to Play Piano (Tutor book with CD) by Pam Wedgwood (Paperback - 1 Jun 2006)