Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 December 2013
An amazing book, full of fascinating facts.

Kindle edition is horrible. It was designed to be read on a wide-screen monitor. Text is too small, highlights and dictionary do not work.

Still, it is a very good read, although I would prefer more facts and less references, which take around half of the book.
on 20 November 2013
There are some really interesting and useful facts here, while some of them seem like they might change over time and others that you can't quite believe. For fans of the show this is a must-buy and you get the feeling a lot of research has gone into it.

To make the information a bit less random there are small linked groups where the facts segue nicely from one to the other.

However, like with the previous book, it might be a bit expensive if you are unlikely to read it more than once.
on 6 August 2014
Whilst this book is as informative and entertaining as the others in its genre unfortunately it was not possible to download it onto my Kindle (3G keyboard version). I did not become aware of this until after I had purchased it and found it had been downloaded onto my iPad. It's title appears among my archived items on my Kindle but an attempt to move it to my home page is met with a notice saying "Unavailable for Download. The item is not compatible with this device".
To be fair Amazon did offer to remove it and give me a refund but as the cost was so small, and I could (have!) read it on my iPad, I opted to keep it. Never the less it still seems strange to have been able to purchase a Kindle version of a book that is not compatible with a Kindle reader!
on 7 February 2014
I bought the Kindle edition and it is unreadable. Always defaults to the first page, making it very difficult to progress through the book. As bookmarks are not enabled, reading the book is impossible - a waste of money.
on 9 November 2013
Very interesting read for me as I enjoy knowing about these oddities, to know the derivation would ensure faith in some of these 'quotes'
on 3 December 2013
Lots of wonderful and bizarre facts some which I will never unlearn! A great follow on from the 1227 facts book
on 19 November 2013
I enjoyed last year's `1,227 QI Facts to Blow Your Socks Off' so I was looking forward to `1,339 QI Facts to Make Your Jaw Drop'. (I should make clear that I have met James Harkin, one of the writers, a couple of times, and correspond with him occasionally.)

The format is the same as the previous book with the facts simply presented in no particular order, and not sub-divided by topic. One nice touch is that each fact tends to have something in common with the previous one, so the facts form a sort of interlinked chain through the book. I read the book cover-to-cover and enjoyed it.

On the whole I enjoyed it, but thought it very slightly less good than last year's book. Once again a lot of the facts in here are really novel - I'm a keen collector of trivia but it had passed me by that (for example) J.K. Rowling has no middle name, or that the coldest spot in the solar system is believed to be on our moon. Who knew!? However, the percentage of material I had heard before was slightly higher than the first book, although not enough to be a problem.

This would make an ideal Christmas present for anyone who likes trivia books of this kind.
on 25 January 2014
A fascinating collection of trivia and a worthy companion to its predecessor (1227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off). Some other reviewers have complained about the Kindle edition not working properly (such as inability to highlight or access the dictionary), however, these deficiencies didn't appear on my Kindle Paperwhite - it worked fine. So why do I mention frustration in the title of this review? Well, as another reviewer has already pointed out, some of the facts are wrong (citing the fact that Schubert, being born six years after the event, couldn't have been a pallbearer at Mozart's funeral). However, the publishers have created a website citing references to the sources of the facts ([...]) so you can check the facts yourself. Unfortunately, to find the source reference on that site you need to know the page number, and guess what? No page numbers in the Kindle edition! (Why is that? There are Kindle books out there which can be navigated both by page and location numbers.)
on 11 January 2014
It is not possible to read this book on the Kindle.

I have opened it and read 10 or so pages and have then closed the book. Whenever I open the book again it has reset to the introduction.

I have then had to page forward to find the place where I stopped reading. By the time I have found the page I am too worn out to actually do any reading.

The bookmark function does not work. Sync to furthest page read does not work either.It simply takes me back to the introduction. Annotations backup is on in Kindle Settings and works for all other books.

It is not possible to highlight any passages in this book - highlighting works for all of my other Kindle books.

I have deleted and reinstalled the book. This made no difference.

This is the sort of book that I - and others too I suspect- like to dip into and read in short chunks.

The only way to read this version and not lose your place would be by reading it all in one go. That is not possible.

I have reported these faults to Amazon and am waiting to see if they can be resolved.

In the mean time I would advise all and sundry not to buy the Kindle version - it cannot be read!!

The content is fine - but go for the hard copy. You won't lose your place in that version and you'll be free to read it slowly, at your leisure!!
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2015
This is a really interesting book. Just two other comments: one is that it would be very nice to have some supporting explanations for some of them - I tend to find myself constantly asking 'why'? My other comment is a word of warning for Kindle readers, in that I found that the book loaded fine onto my iPad, but I couldn't download it onto my Kindle. An Amazon 'chat' resulted in the outcome that this book was not supported on my particular Kindle model (Kindle Keyboard). I thought that this could have been clearer when buying the book, and was also odd as the other two books in the series that I had bought DID download onto my Kindle (although neither of them worked on the percentage read marker). Perhaps that's why they didn't provide a version of this book for my Kindle model.