Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 December 2013
This anthology is a really good overview of 2013 in poetry, which serves as a kind of index, pointing readers on to further reading. (Michael Symmons Roberts Drysalter, Sinead Morrissey's Parallax...) I relished the "highly commended" section for Danny Abse's rich, funny tale of cowardice and copulating cats in Istanbul, and the Best Single Poem section for a sweet-toothed-horror-story by Patience Agbabi, written after touring Harewood House (built on the proceeds of slavery and sugar). New discoveries include Steve Ely, a voice of real strength from Yorkshire, violent, tender and learned in the ways of both dogs and God - an unusual combination.
on 2 March 2014
A compendium of poetry by winning and short listed poets of the Forward prize. Of interest to poets developing their skills and those who enjoy contemporary poetry.
on 17 February 2014
Once again The Forward Prize does not disappoint with this thought provoking collection of poetry. A lovely book to dip into when the thirst for beautiful language overcomes you.
on 28 December 2014
interesting selection of new poetry, some good, some not so much, but for the price a great introduction to some new voices.
on 2 July 2014
Quite disappointing actually, I was expecting to enjoy reading some new and different poetic styles, but most poems did not grab me. I barely got involved with any of them. Compared with a very new book I recently reviewed, I felt a lot of these were turgid!
on 12 March 2014
Really great to have such quick and easy access to perry of today. I'm a teacher and it gave me some great fresh material for the classroom. But also, I enjoyed it profoundly on a personal level. Will definitely get the others!
on 2 March 2014
Good selection of various types of verse, covering many differing genre aspects. A good book well written and well recommended.
on 4 November 2013
I have only dipped into the first few pages so far. I don't think one should just plough ahead with poem after poem. Reflection is needed and choosing appropriate times to read. As a result the four stars is based only on a half dozen or so pages but they were good. I should imagine I will have maybe half a year's good dipping from this book.
on 5 November 2013
This book contains some very interesting, creative poems and showcases some of the best modern poetry. I found that some poems I had to read over and over again to grasp their full meaning which is always a sign of a great poem.
on 16 August 2014
Wonderful book, with a wide range of styles and subjects.