5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, varied, surprising
Published 7 months ago by Zanamo

Quite disappointing actually, I was expecting to enjoy reading some new and different poetic styles, but most poems did not grab me. I barely got involved with any of them. Compared with a very new book I recently reviewed, I felt a lot of these were turgid!
Published 26 days ago by Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, varied, surprising, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Forward Book of Poetry 2014 (Paperback)
This anthology is a really good overview of 2013 in poetry, which serves as a kind of index, pointing readers on to further reading. (Michael Symmons Roberts Drysalter, Sinead Morrissey's Parallax...) I relished the "highly commended" section for Danny Abse's rich, funny tale of cowardice and copulating cats in Istanbul, and the Best Single Poem section for a sweet-toothed-horror-story by Patience Agbabi, written after touring Harewood House (built on the proceeds of slavery and sugar). New discoveries include Steve Ely, a voice of real strength from Yorkshire, violent, tender and learned in the ways of both dogs and God - an unusual combination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs time, 4 Nov 2013
I have only dipped into the first few pages so far. I don't think one should just plough ahead with poem after poem. Reflection is needed and choosing appropriate times to read. As a result the four stars is based only on a half dozen or so pages but they were good. I should imagine I will have maybe half a year's good dipping from this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good flavour of contemporary poetry, 2 Mar 2014
A compendium of poetry by winning and short listed poets of the Forward prize. Of interest to poets developing their skills and those who enjoy contemporary poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Mar 2014
Really great to have such quick and easy access to perry of today. I'm a teacher and it gave me some great fresh material for the classroom. But also, I enjoyed it profoundly on a personal level. Will definitely get the others!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely poetry, 17 Feb 2014
Once again The Forward Prize does not disappoint with this thought provoking collection of poetry. A lovely book to dip into when the thirst for beautiful language overcomes you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read and write lots of poetry, 2 Mar 2014
Good selection of various types of verse, covering many differing genre aspects. A good book well written and well recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forward Thinking Poetry, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Forward Book of Poetry 2014 (Paperback)
This book contains some very interesting, creative poems and showcases some of the best modern poetry. I found that some poems I had to read over and over again to grasp their full meaning which is always a sign of a great poem.

2.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting to enjoy reading some new and different poetic styles, 2 July 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars poor book, 25 Jun 2014
Would not recommend book to anyone very poor quality of content poems had little meaning and sounded like rantings of deranged people..

2.0 out of 5 stars A Collection of Worse Verse, 3 Jun 2014
Mr. Piotr J. Masiak "Piotr" (MK, UK) - See all my reviews
A Collection of Worse Verse: too Americanised, not very good poetry at that! I am sorry to say. Half of the stuff I read - and I use 'stuff' mildly- is non-rhymed, not even 'sprung', ie. Anglo-Saxon rhymed and difficult to call poetry. A prose type poem, may be, but even that sadly is lacking 'poetical licence' because then the poems are way too short to have any bite and even the titles mislead.
There are some redeeming features and good poems. I won't suggest any and I haven't read all the book. Pass, and I won't.
Dr PJM

The Forward Book of Poetry 2014
The Forward Book of Poetry 2014 by Various Poets (Paperback - 3 Oct 2013)
6.29