Format: HardcoverChange

on 23 May 2013
An excellent book, if you're a MacFarlane fan - which I am. It is poetic and concise, but maybe a little too concise. I'd not read the reviews fully before I bought this, so I was expecting something more like his previous three books. However, this is only a small anthology of 40 pages, including drawings. Having said that, it was a very enjoyable read and I'm glad to add it to the shelves.
0Comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2013
Just feel it should be pointed out that this is a book of only 22 pages (including drawings). It's as long as a newspaper essay or article. It's very good but at the price very expensive.
on 29 May 2013
This slim book has a lovely feel to it and a great pleasure to own. The images are just wonderful and match the magical text.
I like the length - long enough to dip into and transport the reader to the mysteries of the Holloway - but not too big or heavy to overpower.
A real treat
on 23 May 2013
Stanley Donwood's beautiful illustrations compliment Robert Macfarlane and Dan Richards' writing perfectly. A lovely book to hold and read through as we join their journey through this world they are sharing with us. This book is a piece of art work that I am glad to have in my collection, it is one of those books you put out on display because the visual aesthetic is as strong as the written work.
on 24 January 2015
I was drawn to Robert MacFarlane's writing via Melissa Harrison. This, like others by the author, is a truly beautiful look at the heart of natural England. A long poem to the clandestine paths trod in ancient times past. The illustrations have a mystical air and words and image knit together a sacred slim volume. A book to come back to again and again like the cycle of walkers on the soil.
on 23 October 2014
The principal author luxuriates in his way with words in the course of a lyric ramble to find a particular sunken lane in south Dorset. The unabashed nostalgia and slight indulgence of this very short book (21 pages of text) is made palatable by the easy literary-ness of Macfarlane's exploration and the wonderful, atmospheric illustrations of Stanley Donwood.
on 14 June 2013
I'm a great fan of Robert Macfarlane, having read his more substantial books, and recognise he wanted a memorial to his close friend who had died. However, although the line drawings are in the best 'English mystical' tradition and complement the text well, the actual writing feels rather thin and overwrought. The writing isn't really rich enough to qualify as 'prose poetry'. Bit twee and a bit coffee table.
on 16 May 2013
As a fan of both Robert Macfarlane’s writing and Stanley Donwood’s work with Radiohead, I was delighted to discover this beautiful book.
The ghost of Roger Deakin haunts the holloway where the three author’s hole up in search of Geoffrey Household’s Rogue Male ― a book I read a long time ago and still hold very dear.
Several stories interlock in ‘Holloway’ like the twigs of Stanley’s vortex tree drawings and the maze of sunken lanes themselves to create an atmosphere of quiet reflection and dreamlike calm; where there is repetition or retracing, the layers of meaning and mystery mount but never smother ― rather the different stories pool and meld and mist.
As ever, Macfarlane’s descriptions of landscape is beautifully evocative and detailed and I was very taken with the contribution of Dan Richards, a new name to me but a very apt and poetic writer; his description of falling asleep inside Roger Deakin’s sleeping bag ― left after his passing, one assumes, to his friend Robert ― was very moving; delicate and tender sad.
Holloway reaches and roves beyond it’s slight form, exploring the place of landscape and themes of loss in the hearts of those who’ve walked and slept in their midst.
I recommend this book unreservedly.
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2013
An interesting subject of Holloways in South Dorset which in my personal opinion were probably used as hideouts for smugglers and the like and still hold the atmosphere or vibes .An interesting subject but sadly a very short read .Wonderful sketches but I sadly found the book over priced for approx 40 pages .Nice to keep hold of though on ones bookcase .
on 4 January 2014
Excellent. Both authors have a wonderfully lyrical way of describing the English landscape. I raced through it in one sitting. I honestly can't remember when I last read prose this beautiful. A fitting tribute to the writing of Roger Deakin and a timely reminder of what we risk losing if we don't protect our ancient woodland. Highly recommended.