Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 June 2013
For people who walk with their eyes open, or who want to learn to walk with their eyes,as well as their feet, this is a must read. It's one of those books that not only stands on it's own, but is a reference point for further reading. Robert McFarlane has the ability to have you along with him, there is a feeling that you are part of a conversation, not just a follower of his words. I have recently, well within the last eighteen months, been attracted into the poetry of Edward Thomas, and been immersed into all things 'Thomasian'. To see the evolution of his, early twentieth century, prose into the poetry which is so deeply steeped ( no pun intended) in the English countryside, you can feel the traces of Thomas that Mr.McFarlane is walking in. This book will propel you towards your walking shoes. A thoroughly ennervating read.
on 8 July 2013
A beautiful piece of writing with exquisite artwork, honoring friendship and place, along these strange, beautiful and near forgotton pathways.
on 1 June 2013
I think it a tad cheeky to publish a few pages of poetry and call it a book. There are so many blank pages and a single (modified) image throughout the 'book', obviously to pad it out a little. We were fans of his...but then again...
on 3 July 2013
Quite a small book but definatly one to keep on my book case. MacFarlane explores an unusual subject which is quite fascinating.
on 12 November 2014
brilliant read
on 11 February 2014
Not to my recollection have a read / experienced a book created by three individuals, especially not so well conceived. The written elements by Macfarlane & Richards are exquisitely descriptive and take you on a journey through the holloways, the visuals by Donwood are also immersive turning this book from a read to an experience. A slender book that perches beautifully on the shelf, i feel that i will be picking it up again soon. it allows for a small inspirational getaway, which was just what i needed. Now i want to go write and draw from such experiences myself... a must.
on 2 June 2013
Of course most people can read a book with only 36 pages in one sitting and I did this. Macfarlane's style is fanciful I would say and he does maddeningly refrain from giving you any real details as to where he's walking - making it of course difficult for those of us with a more adventurous bent to follow his footsteps. Some of the text is lifted directly from the wild places I think but Ion the whole I suppose I'd have to say I enjoyed the book and even though as I say the style is somewhat fanciful it is quite evocative so Three stars. I think it will mostly appeal to a townie's idea of the countryside.

I must say if this guy gets paid by the word he must be coining it in!
on 27 November 2015
Having read and loved Roger Deakin I looked forward to this. What a disappointment, 48 pages - 23 either blank or with nothing on, 12 pages of writing, and what pretentious rubbish it is and badly written; and some pretty repetive drawings. Hardly written and published with respect for Roger Deakin, more a blantant little money maker on the back of Roger's well earned reputation and an expensive piece or rubbish at that. This is the first review I've left in years of buying books from amazon this book is that bad
on 17 June 2013
I was disappointed with the size of the book, it's mainly illustrations and blank pages with not a lot of text. I expected to buy a companion of at least a few nights, along the lines of 'The Old Ways', not a slim volume such as this. I feel it is over-priced, and didn't realise that it had previously been published either. I would not recommend anyone to buy it unless they had money to spare, which I have not!
on 13 November 2015