Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 6 October 2008
I never read this book when I was a boy, and my children missed out on it too. I read it for the first time recently, and this weekend tried it out on my two grandchildren aged five and seven. They've never heard of Ted Hughes, and don't know what a poet laureate is, but they know a good story when they hear one. They came down from the ceiling, sat still and quiet, listened spellbound for the duration, then went happily off to sleep. The next 'night' I only had to mention The Iron Man and they were ready for it. What more could you ask from a children's book? The 'nights' are just long enough for reading to children as bedtime stories, and the language is simple enough for youngish children to be able to read it themselves. Even granddads can enjoy it.
on 6 April 2006
I first read this book when I was at primary school, and 25 yrs later, still love it to this day, I even read it to my daughter when she was younger and she got hooked from the first page as he was introduced with the famous into "Where did he come from?nobody knows" This book is a classic in my eyes and im sure other readers agree.
on 3 June 2003
The Iron Man is wrtten by Ted Hughes and is a story. It is about a monster called the Iron Man and a dragon called the Space Bat Angel Dragon. Hogarth is a little boy who makes friends with the Iron Man and helps him save the world. It is set in Australia and other parts of the planet Earth. The best bit is the ending but we won't tell you about this as we might spoil it for you. We think it is a great book and it is suitable for children in school from 6-8 years of age.
on 4 January 2016
I really enjoyed this story it showed that people would come together to solve the problem of the Iron Man trashing the place. The community didn't get it right the first time by trying to bury the Iron Man alive. But eventually after thought and working together they found the solution that worked for them as members of the community as well as the Iron Man himself. The story was slightly unpredictable as you are expecting the villagers to try and get rid of the Iron Man throughout the story but this isn't always the case. I enjoyed the imaginative way in which the story is wrote, it is a book which kept my interest. It had the theme of good will happen in the end as the farmers and villagers made peace and in theory did the right thing. I enjoyed the book from beginning to end and I would recommend the book to boys and girls alike of similar age to myself. (9 years old). Thank you
55 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Ted Hughes’ ‘The Iron Man’ is still a delight to read even though I am so much older than when I first read it. The writing is full of lyricism and the illustrations by Andrew Davidson which were done as wood engravings are a pleasure to look at.

When a giant iron man is first seen he spreads fear, especially as he eats all the metal in the area, and after the people think they have finally got rid of him he reappears. Hogarth, a little boy befriends the giant and an answer is found to a way of keeping him from eating all the metal in sight, which is agreeable to the giant and everyone else. When the Earth faces a danger from a creature from out of space the iron giant has a plan and thus sets out to save the world.

A fantastical story which has been called a modern fairy tale this takes in the fear of the unknown, friendship, courage and honour, and is an enthralling and enjoyable read for children and adults alike.
on 12 December 2012
I purchased this for my 8 yr old grandaughter who was writing about the Iron Man at school. I read it myself as soon as it arrived! She was very thrilled and learned quite a lot and was able to answer a lot of the questions about the Iron Man before they had completed the project at school.
on 15 April 2013
This is what my 7 year old son thought in his own words after reading it: I like it when the Iron man falls off the cliff and when he fell apart at the start of the book. To find out what happened next you have to read the book. A very good book.
I picked up this book to read for two reasons. First the movie The Iron Giant is one of my children's favorites and they ask for it often. The second is author Matt Haig posted an article on his top 10 Robots. That got me thinking about this book and I had to track it down. I was amazed by this short novel and have since read it to my son who loved it also. The book is a story in 5 nights. The nights are:

The Coming of the Iron Man
The Return of the Iron Man
What's to be Done with the Iron Man?
The Space-Being and the Iron Man
The Iron Man's Challenge

Now to be honest the book is so different from the move, The Iron Giant, that the book took me quite by surprise. It was a very pleasant surprise. The story does have an Iron Man that no one knows where he came from, or what to do with him, and a little boy name Hogarth. But after that the stories are so different, almost like a children's version of Blade Runner vs Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. But back to the book.

The story begins with the Iron Man's arrival. He just appears strolling across the countryside. The opening chapter is very humorous, with him rolling down a cliff and the parts reassembling themselves. In the second encounter the Iron Man ears, cars, tractors and other machinery so the town's folks plan to trap him. Hogarth plays a role in this and as soon as he does he regrets it. But sometimes what we fear most is what we need most. And when the earth is attached by a space-bat-angel-dragon Hogarth believes that the Iron Man might be able to save us.

As stated earlier this is a great little book. And the best news is there is a companion volume called The Iron Woman to continue the adventure.
on 7 January 2001
Unpatronising and lyrical prose make this a book that begs to be read aloud, the repetition of phrasing and short sentences mean it has a true poetry to it. There are wonderful and enduring images, helped by the pen and ink illustrations that just bring the book to life. The strong ecological slant is very pertinent to today's reader but there is so much more to be got out of this book with very little effort at all.
on 4 February 2011
I could not resist getting this beautiful edition of this classic story for my 3 year olds Xmas, as it was my own personal; favorite as a youth.

It is an absolutely gorgeous edition (to the point that we both checked for jammy fingers before reading) of a wonderful classic yet as prevalent as ever story.

The production, artwork and design are amazing; from the slightly abstract graphics which we both adore to the lovely traditional cover material. Many of the pages are protected by greaseproof paper and that adds to the quality and feel of it. Stunning images in rich colours run throughout the book and fold out wide spreads are used effectively to illuminate some of the key moments in the fantastic tale.

Story wise: well you should know it and that it is a classic. If not then you should be buying it. The tale is timeless and wonderful and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

My wee girl was transfixed, filled with suspense and recalled the night before's action in minute detail. As the story is in 5 parts it is ideal to spread over a week, with enough in each section to satisfy a wee girl who doesn't want to go to sleep and an old dad who does.

Any home with a child should have a copy of this story, and this particular edition is noteworthy for its fine style and feel.